Portrait of an American Hero

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Immanuel Can

Re: Portrait of an American Hero

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:45 pm My country seems to be a country that has lost our moral compass.
It's not just the US Gary. The modern West as a whole has dropped its compass, and isn't even trying to fish it up out of the bilge anymore.

Paradoxically, phony "moral" language has never been more common. Everybody who does anything does it for "justice," or "fairness," or "equity," or "the common good," or "virtue," or "hope," or "the future." But in each person's mouth those words mean different things. And ultimately, all they indicate is everybody seeking for his own self-interest, in which moral language plays the role of a tool.

Using other people provides another such tool. Even the collectivists only collectivize to whip up their own sense of virtue and advance their personal agendas. And their opponents and detractors, well, to them those people are not even human...they're just filth in the street, to be trodden by the marching feet of the revolution. No thought can be spared for them. How moral is that?

Now, had they a real compass, they could not possibly bring themselves to lie, manipulate, vilify, scream, dominate, brutalize, riot, seize, steal, assault, burn and bludgeon -- but all this they do with the loftiest moral rhetoric.

Insincere moral earnestness is just a hallmark of our era. But we do know we're lying. The compass is still around. We just refuse to consult it.
commonsense

Re: missin' the point

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:49 amDid I?
My 2 cents? I’d say you’re being your usual thought provoking self with stimulating discussion contributions.

You have insightful things to say about the human circus of protesting.

However, I think this thread is not about the show. It isn’t even about racism per se.

It seems to be about why Americans are so willing to highlight a martyr, or a political idol or even a comic book hero such as George Floyd or Donald Trump or even The Joker—why Americans will highlight an individual while ignoring any unfavorable background in that individual.

Then again, it’s RC’s thread. Mebbe I missed the point.

With best regards,
Your robot overlord
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:00 pm Americans are:
... celebrating and eulogizing George Floyd. Floyd was a multiple felon who once held a pregnant black woman at gunpoint. He broke into her home with a gang of men and pointed a gun at her pregnant stomach. He terrorized the women in his community. He sired and abandoned multiple children, playing no part in their support or upbringing, failing one of the most basic tests of decency for a human being. He was a drug-addict and sometime drug-dealer, a swindler who preyed upon his honest and hard-working neighbors.

And yet, the regents of UC and the historians of the UCB History department are celebrating this violent criminal, elevating his name to virtual sainthood. A man who hurt women. A man who hurt black women. With the full collaboration of the UCB history department, corporate America, most mainstream media outlets, and some of the wealthiest and most privileged opinion-shaping elites of the USA, he has become a culture hero, buried in a golden casket, his (recognized) family showered with gifts and praise. Americans are being socially pressured into kneeling for this violent, abusive misogynist. A generation of black men are being coerced into identifying with George Floyd, the absolute worst specimen of our race and species.
From: Anonymous letter from UC Berkeley professor concerning BLM/recent events
But why do we in the West do this? Why do we elevate individuals of questionable moral character for view by all?

I think a significant factor is the erosion of values in the American culture over the years.

In the 60’s if you broke the law you could expect there would be consequences.

In the 70’s and 80’s breaking the law was only a crime if you got caught.

In the 90’s it was only a crime if you were caught and couldn’t afford an attorney.

Since then, lying seems to be the way to be let off.

So I ask, is it only natural that human values decay? Is this the reason that we have come to where we are now?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

My 2 cents? I’d say you’re being your usual thought provoking self with stimulating discussion contributions.

You have insightful things to say about the human circus of protesting.

I think you're mockin' me.

However, I think this thread is not about the show. It isn’t even about racism per se.

Indeed. The show is for the rubes...systemic racism is part of the show...the real action is, as I say, back stage.

It seems to be about why Americans are so willing to highlight a martyr

Martyrs are a dime a dozen: any one can fill the role. One just has to die at the right time, in the right place, and someone will come along and prop up the carcass.

why Americans will highlight an individual while ignoring any unfavorable background in that individual.

You gotta look at who benefits, who profits, who gets fed.

With best regards,
Your robot overlord

:thumbsup:
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

HQ, no mocking intended except for mebbe (just using a word from your lexicon to show familiarity and sometimes even friendship)—except for mebbe mocking of the protesters.
henry quirk

Robot Overlord

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:53 pm HQ, no mocking intended except for mebbe (just using a word from your lexicon to show familiarity and sometimes even friendship)—except for mebbe mocking of the protesters.
But, they are there specifically to be mocked, to be jeered, to be applauded, to be entertained by.

These are not agents of change: they're clowns, sent to distract.

Where's the Ringmaster?
commonsense

Re: Robot Overlord

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:00 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:53 pm HQ, no mocking intended except for mebbe (just using a word from your lexicon to show familiarity and sometimes even friendship)—except for mebbe mocking of the protesters.
But, they are there specifically to be mocked, to be jeered, to be applauded, to be entertained by.

Where's the Ringmaster?
Riiiiight
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:49 amDid I?
I agree with commonsense's answer.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Distract from what?

If no one was interested in the circus, the circus would fold (as actual one's have). The point of this thread is not the circus or its acts, it's why is there an audience? It's a decadent society that needs to be constantly entertained.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

RCSaunders wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:49 pm

Distract from what?

If no one was interested in the circus, the circus would fold (as actual one's have). The point of this thread is not the circus or its acts, it's why is there an audience? It's a decadent society that needs to be constantly entertained.
I’m reminded of the collapse of the Roman Empire.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:09 pm

Where's the Ringmaster?
Riiiiight
Skeptical?
henry quirk

RC

Post by henry quirk »

Distract from what?

That, sir, is the question, the real question.

why is there an audience?

Why do folks rubberneck?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

because her neck is just that wonderful to rub...

maybe not...

-Imp
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:51 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:09 pm

Where's the Ringmaster?
Riiiiight
Skeptical?
No.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:00 pmidentifying with George Floyd, the absolute worst specimen of our race and species.
From: Anonymous letter from UC Berkeley professor concerning BLM/recent events
[/quote]

This is all very convincing and interesting, but it is a croc of shit.
Mr Anonymous is in denial of the facts.
The UK is usually regarded as less racist than the US, but black people are TEN times more likely to be stopped by police. I don't know how bad it is in the US, but I would imagine that it is not far off that number.
So, stop the bollocks. Racial discrimination is at absurd levels and it simply cannot be allowed to continue.
So thanks Mr Berkeley, but serious F u c k Off you stupid pr1ck