What accounts for Western high death rates?

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Re: What accounts for Western high death rates?

Post by henry quirk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:10 am Oh crap. Most yanks are too illiterate to read the 'constitution' let alone understand the meaning. If your 'constitution' guarantees your 'liberty' (whatever that means) then why is the US so far down the freedom index? How 'free' are you if you can't innocently go about your business without being murdered by a cop? How 'free' are you if you get sick and die because some moron has sneezed all over you on public transport? How 'free' are you if you have to entrust your life to the average moron? And if the American economy goes down the gurgler then at least there will be fewer morons driving around in planet-destroying tanks.

man, you turn on a dime, don't ya...

🌟
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

henry quirk wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:23 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:10 am Oh crap. Most yanks are too illiterate to read the 'constitution' let alone understand the meaning. If your 'constitution' guarantees your 'liberty' (whatever that means) then why is the US so far down the freedom index? How 'free' are you if you can't innocently go about your business without being murdered by a cop? How 'free' are you if you get sick and die because some moron has sneezed all over you on public transport? How 'free' are you if you have to entrust your life to the average moron? And if the American economy goes down the gurgler then at least there will be fewer morons driving around in planet-destroying tanks.

man, you turn on a dime, don't ya...

🌟
Not at all. I can see both sides--and the flaws on both sides. I also don't claim to have the answers. This is probably the most complex problem faced by humanity to date--one in which every step and decision is fraught with danger. I will be the first to agree re the rest home stats--if we hadn't included the deaths of those in 'near death facilities' then the death count here would have been a tidy ONE person--and that person had a serious heart condition; but I will never be able to say what would have happened if we hadn't had a lockdown--no one can.
I've always found it irritating the way Americans bang on about their 'freedom' without having a clue what that even means.
Don't worry about your economy--I'm sure the US will come up with a war to get y'all working and resource-depleting again.

ps. There seem to be a heck of a lot of younger people in the US who have died of it, especially people in their fifties.
henry quirk

"There seem to be a heck of a lot of younger people in the US who have died of it, especially people in their fifties."

Post by henry quirk »

unhealthy folks, all

diabetes, obesity, heart issues, unfit, etc

yer right about one thing: a whole whack of 'muricans are fat asses, sickly & stupid
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Veg, I’m literate and can understand the US Constitution, so your post gave me the impetus to give the document a re-read. Not surprisingly it is much easier to understand than when I was first introduced to it in elementary school.

So I now realize that quarantine does not actually impinge on any rights. I guess the protesters were making this up.
vegetariantaxidermy

commonsense wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:56 pm
Veg, I’m literate and can understand the US Constitution, so your post gave me the impetus to give the document a re-read. Not surprisingly it is much easier to understand than when I was first introduced to it in elementary school.

So I now realize that quarantine does not actually impinge on any rights. I guess the protesters were making this up.
What about conscription? How does that sit with 'constitutional freedom'? It seems people are very choosy about what they view as their 'freedoms'. I would be willing to bet that over 99% of Americans don't know and don't care what the word 'amendment' means. The fact that it even allows for 'amendments' makes it something of a farce anyway.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:27 pm

What about conscription? How does that sit with 'constitutional freedom'? It seems people are very choosy about what they view as their 'freedoms'. I would be willing to bet that over 99% of Americans don't know and don't care what the word 'amendment' means. The fact that it even allows for 'amendments' makes it something of a farce anyway.
The explicit individual freedoms include rights to bear arms, to assemble, of speech and not to have their homes searched without warrant. There’s no freedom from conscription. As for people being very choosy about freedoms, yes there’s a range of rights claimed by Americans.
vegetariantaxidermy

commonsense wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:42 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:27 pm

The explicit individual freedoms include rights to bear arms, to assemble, of speech and not to have their homes searched without warrant. There’s no freedom from conscription. As for people being very choosy about freedoms, yes there’s a range of rights claimed by Americans.
FFS. Freedom is freedom. If you have conscription then you don't have freedom.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:46 pm FFS. Freedom is freedom. If you have conscription then you don't have freedom.
True. Yet, ironically, if you don’t have conscription then you don’t have freedom from would-be conquerors.
vegetariantaxidermy

commonsense wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:09 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:46 pm FFS. Freedom is freedom. If you have conscription then you don't have freedom.
True. Yet, ironically, if you don’t have conscription then you don’t have freedom from would-be conquerors.
FFS.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

BTW WTF does FFS mean? Something denigrative, I expect.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Freedom only refers to a subset of allowances. It has never to any degree been absolute. Freedom itself is structured by rules.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:46 pm BTW WTF does FFS mean? Something denigrative, I expect.
for fuck's sake
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:51 am
commonsense wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:46 pm BTW WTF does FFS mean? Something denigrative, I expect.
for fuck's sake
Never heard that one. Thanks.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:14 pm
FFS.
YRAN.

There are never enough volunteers for an adequate militia.
vegetariantaxidermy

commonsense wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:58 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:14 pm

FFS.
YRAN.

There are never enough volunteers for an adequate militia.
FFS