What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by attofishpi »

uwot wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:51 am Not getting involved in interminable arguments with theists. Anyway:
attofishpi wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:45 pm...atheists can only be agnostic.
As Thomas Huxley, who invented the word said:
"Agnosticism is of the essence of science, whether ancient or modern. It simply means that a man shall not say he knows or believes that which he has no scientific grounds for professing to know or believe."
That's a pretty good example of wisdom in my book.
It's intelligent, and approaching something intelligently is certainly a wise start, but what defines Wisdom for you as an atheist?

I'm finding so many conflicting definitions of agnosticism.
Last edited by attofishpi on Sun May 10, 2020 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

skepdick wrote:Nope. (a)theism and (a)gnosticism are different axes.

(a)gnosticism is about knowledge (in general). Knowledge about gods is only a particular case.

(Also, I am saying what uwot is saying but with pictures)
Gnostic Atheist!! ...now there's a bloody big thought - defined as a bloke that knows everything about the universe and possibly multiverse.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Atheism requires neither wisdom or philosophy. It simply defaults to what history, science and experience proclaim it to be; a universe devoid of god or as we imagine god to be. Atheism openly annuls the illusion of any necessity for any centralized controlling power.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dubious wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:16 am Atheism requires neither wisdom or philosophy. It simply defaults to what history, science and experience proclaim it to be; a universe devoid of god or as we imagine god to be. Atheism openly annuls the illusion of any necessity for any centralized controlling power.
Thanks. :D

So, for you as an atheist, do you see no definition for Wisdom or just leave it at that? (presuming you are one of those heathens!)
uwot

Post by uwot »

attofishpi wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:34 am...what defines Wisdom for you as an atheist?
Being an atheist. You know; in the absence of the kinda things you've been through.
attofishpi wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:34 amI'm finding so many conflicting definitions of agnosticism.
Yeah, that's why I generally don't bother with definitions without context.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

uwot wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:26 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:34 am...what defines Wisdom for you as an atheist?
Being an atheist. You know; in the absence of the kinda things you've been through.
Ya. Good point.

I wonder whether if it IS required to suffer (to a particular level) beyond just feeding the tree as a SAP ...whether one considers it a worthwhile endeavour? My ballsack is still split on the binary fence on that one - not sure whether the future from what I have gleaned from this entity has enough reward.

If it's what I think it is, then sure, definitely worth it - other-wise i'd prefer to RIP in the void to never exist again - thank you almighty one.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

attofishpi wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:34 am
Conflicting or complimentary?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

commonsense wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:32 pm
Nah, you're definitely the former. Are you going to actually address the topic question?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

attofishpi wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:39 pm
Nah, you're definitely the former. Are you going to actually address the topic question?
Already did. You should review your thread from the beginning. You’ll find my answers to your questions as well as the many posts that have quoted my comments.

As for your sarcasm about me as the former, I simply thought you would recognize that I am challenging your assessment of the definitions given for agnosticism so far. I suggest that you pay closer attention to them when doing your review.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

attofishpi wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:18 am
Dubious wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:16 am Atheism requires neither wisdom or philosophy. It simply defaults to what history, science and experience proclaim it to be; a universe devoid of god or as we imagine god to be. Atheism openly annuls the illusion of any necessity for any centralized controlling power.

So, for you as an atheist, do you see no definition for Wisdom or just leave it at that? (presuming you are one of those heathens!)
Even though I don't like that word being somewhat meaningless or at best just another name for experience, wisdom is more in vogue with atheists who realize they are responsible for themselves than with theists who depend on some sacred text to supply it.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:18 pm noun: philosophy

the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline.
a particular system of philosophical thought.

a theory or attitude that acts as a guiding principle for behaviour.

Greek:- "love of wisdom"

Just interested in any atheists thoughts on the subject of What is Wisdom? - not so much interested in theists..
Not sure that atheism has any specific answer here. Certainly not one that is distinct from any secularised answer that any theist might want to give.
The only thing I can offer is that point 2 above is not pre-written and given by a dogma from a book of scriptures. And in being generally more skeptical than any theist, I doubt that many atheists would want to align themselves with particular guiding principles.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

He did not say that.
He said that atheism is not defined as, or by any such issue.
Imagine everything that wisdom refers to, all knowledge the discipline of epistemology, the search for knowledge, then remove god. That is atheism.
Now.
DO the same thing, and remove accountability and reason, - that is theism.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

commonsense wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:58 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:39 pm

Already did. You should review your thread from the beginning. You’ll find my answers to your questions as well as the many posts that have quoted my comments.

NO. You didn't. The below is ALL you have stated on the question of Wisdom:-
commonsense wrote:When it comes to wisdom, it is not clear to me that there is a difference between wisdom in theism and in atheism.
commonsense wrote:
attofishpi wrote:Please define what Wisdom is to you as an agnostic atheist.
I still don’t understand why you specify agnostic atheist wisdom as distinct from human wisdom.
DUH! THAT IS NOT WHAT IS IN QUESTION.

commonsense wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:58 pmAs for your sarcasm about me as the former, I simply thought you would recognize that I am challenging your assessment of the definitions given for agnosticism so far. I suggest that you pay closer attention to them when doing your review.
I think you are misunderstanding - I was not talking about definitions provided within this thread.

I don't give a flying figtree about discussing AGNOSTICISM!!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dubious wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:21 pm

Even though I don't like that word being somewhat meaningless or at best just another name for experience, wisdom is more in vogue with atheists who realize they are responsible for themselves than with theists who depend on some sacred text to supply it.
Ok.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:54 pm
attofishpi wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:18 pm noun: philosophy

the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline.
a particular system of philosophical thought.

a theory or attitude that acts as a guiding principle for behaviour.

Greek:- "love of wisdom"

Just interested in any atheists thoughts on the subject of What is Wisdom? - not so much interested in theists..
Not sure that atheism has any specific answer here. Certainly not one that is distinct from any secularised answer that any theist might want to give.
The only thing I can offer is that point 2 above is not pre-written and given by a dogma from a book of scriptures. And in being generally more skeptical than any theist, I doubt that many atheists would want to align themselves with particular guiding principles.
Ok.