Lockdown Protestors

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 10129
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Robot Overlord

Post by henry quirk »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:08 am
henry quirk wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:44 am Thing is: we won't have to wait long to see if I'm right.

Come year's end: we'll see what's what.
You said it would be forgotten by the end of April last time.
i think I said it would be apparent, by April 30th, that beer virus was not the apocalypse.

Never said it would be forgotten.

In fact, I'm pretty much sure I said the folks who are benefitin' from beer virus, would go on and on and on bangin' the doom drum, even if the facts say otherwise.
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 10129
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: sumthin' old, sumthin' new (bump)

Post by henry quirk »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:14 am
henry quirk wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:54 am
henry quirk wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:17 am What we are likely seeing, in my estimation, is an epidemic with a real case fatality rate between 0.2 and 0.5%, which is similar to the 1957 Asian Influenza A:H2N2 or 1968 Hong Kong Influenza A:H3N2 pandemics, which were also essentially virgin field respiratory epidemics. These pandemics rate, not as PSI5 events, but as PSI2 events on the CDC scale. They are certainly atypical and more severe than a PSI1 event (such as a routine seasonal flu epidemic)
Make your mind up Henry. You have repeatedly claimed that this thing is "less than the flu".
I didn't write that, I posted it. Didn't say I agreed with everything in either essay.

How nice of you to cherrypick (ignorin' pretty much everything that I do agree with).

Shows real love.
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 10129
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Lockdown Protestors

Post by henry quirk »

When consumers, suppliers, lenders and workers lose faith that a public health situation is being properly managed, they all take their own action and hunker down. That is human nature, and the economic consequences are liable to be just as bad as the current situation but much less orderly.

Best I can tell, most folks have no faith in the current management of things right now. They aren't hunkerin' down, they're breakin' curfews and lockdowns and stay at home orders and tryin' to keep their personal economics afloat.


The actual reality of allowing a disease to spread unimpede only among the young and thin, while fatties and oldsters hide in cellars, obviously is insane anyway.

Well, that's one helluva of a interpretation of what I've said, what the docs, by way of their essays, say.
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 2789
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Age

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:43 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:55 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:08 am

VT is not from the US. Looking at the stats from the website above it appears that VT may be right. It looks like even in the US the vast, overwhelming majority of deaths have been people with underlying health conditions. Although that's still pretty saddening and concerning.
VT did not say "vast majority", she said "ALL"
Yes, but my point is, where she lives it could very well be that all of those who died had underlying conditions. It's not outside the possibility presented by the data on that site you linked to.
Where she lives?? Oh please!
FlashDangerpants
Posts: 2721
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Robot Overlord

Post by FlashDangerpants »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:21 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:08 am
henry quirk wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:44 am Thing is: we won't have to wait long to see if I'm right.

Come year's end: we'll see what's what.
You said it would be forgotten by the end of April last time.
i think I said it would be apparent, by April 30th, that beer virus was not the apocalypse.

Never said it would be forgotten.

In fact, I'm pretty much sure I said the folks who are benefitin' from beer virus, would go on and on and on bangin' the doom drum, even if the facts say otherwise.
Well it looks like we have an opportunity to catch you and Veggie completely denying easily searched things you wrote all in one hit...
henry quirk wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:05 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:46 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:36 pm by the end of april: carona will be old news, its actual effect minor compared to garden-variety flu...the effects of dumbassery and hysteria, on the other hand, will be with us for a while longer
And in the meantime countless businesses will have been destroyed along with the world economy. I feel as if I'm missing something. I don't feel any more scared of getting it than I do the flu. There was none of this hysteria over swine flu, or bird flu, or SARS, or any of the other doomsday false alarms we've had in recent years.
Yep. That's what I mean by the effects of dumbassery and hysteria, on the other hand, will be with us for a while longer.

A whole whack of misery for nuthin' ('cept pushin' agendas and throwin' crap).
As for the sheer hypocrisy of Henry accusing me of cherry picking what to reply to. Well that's just fucking stupid.
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 10129
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

"People like Henry think it's all a 'commie conspiracy' to undermine his 'personal freedom'."

Post by henry quirk »

The virus comes from China. Mebbe it's the result of eatin' garbage animals (a natural event), but the commies have certainly taken advantage of it, exportin' their problem while keepin' quiet about it for as long as possible and then lyin' through their teeth when it was obvious (to Huston) we have a problem (which isn't really...like lump-clay, it's been shaped up into a problem).

Here, in the U.S., it's the homegrown commies who most vigorously work to prolong the hoodwinkin', er, I mean mitigation, even though the facts are clearly sayin' mitigation mebbe wasn't, to be generous, well thought out.

Yeah, I'm rabid & atavistic, but that don't mean I'm wrong.

EDIT: took out a not
Last edited by henry quirk on Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Childress
Posts: 2250
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:08 pm
Location: The Domain of Confusion

Re: Age

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:47 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:43 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:55 am
VT did not say "vast majority", she said "ALL"
Yes, but my point is, where she lives it could very well be that all of those who died had underlying conditions. It's not outside the possibility presented by the data on that site you linked to.
Where she lives?? Oh please!
What are you so upset about?
Gary Childress
Posts: 2250
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:08 pm
Location: The Domain of Confusion

Re: "People like Henry think it's all a 'commie conspiracy' to undermine his 'personal freedom'."

Post by Gary Childress »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:00 pm The virus comes from China. Mebbe it's the result of eatin' garbage animals (a natural event), but the commies have certainly taken advantage of it, exportin' their problem while keepin' quiet about it for as long as possible and then lyin' through their teeth when it was obvious (to Huston) we have a problem (which isn't really...like lump-clay, it's been shaped up into a problem).

Here, in the U.S., it's the homegrown commies who most vigorously work to prolong the hoodwinkin', er, I mean mitigation, even though the facts are clearly sayin' mitigation mebbe wasn't, to be generous, not well thought out.

Yeah, I'm rabid & atavistic, but that don't mean I'm wrong.
It's certainly possible that the WHO may have overreacted, however, I sort of doubt communism has anything to do with what happened. Also, it seems difficult to know what the results would have been had no precautions (such as social isolation) been taken, however, it seems plausible that they would have been worse.
Last edited by Gary Childress on Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 10129
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Lockdown Protestors

Post by henry quirk »

yep, you got me good, flash

i is shamed
Nick_A
Posts: 5562
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: "People like Henry think it's all a 'commie conspiracy' to undermine his 'personal freedom'."

Post by Nick_A »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:08 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:00 pm The virus comes from China. Mebbe it's the result of eatin' garbage animals (a natural event), but the commies have certainly taken advantage of it, exportin' their problem while keepin' quiet about it for as long as possible and then lyin' through their teeth when it was obvious (to Huston) we have a problem (which isn't really...like lump-clay, it's been shaped up into a problem).

Here, in the U.S., it's the homegrown commies who most vigorously work to prolong the hoodwinkin', er, I mean mitigation, even though the facts are clearly sayin' mitigation mebbe wasn't, to be generous, not well thought out.

Yeah, I'm rabid & atavistic, but that don't mean I'm wrong.
It's certainly possible that the WHO may have overreacted, however, I sort of doubt communism has anything to do with what happened. Also, it seems difficult to know what the results would have been had no precautions (such as social isolation) been taken, however, it seems plausible that they would have been worse.
George Washington. "The thing that sets the American Christian apart from all other people in the world is that he will die on his feet rather before he will live on his knees."
Washington gives us a choice. Does society prefer to live on our feet in freedom or on our knees in statist slavery like a dog that brings his collar and leash asking to be taken out. Are American ideals essential to support freedom worth the effort?

Being part Russian and Armenian I m well aware of what indoctrinated collectives are capable of so am part of the minority who support the ideals of freedom. The results of Increasing statist slavery are not all that appealing.

Can this pandemic be handled in a way which doesn't destroy the life's work of others? Yes, it is the respect for the ideals freedom is about and offers the choice to American citizens to protect themselves and others.

Perhaps the socialist's goal of slavery has become too ingrained through politics and public education so freedom is no longer possible. Maybe so but I'd rather go down with the ship than bring my collar and leash to Nancy Pelosi asking to be taken out.
commonsense
Posts: 3298
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: "People like Henry think it's all a 'commie conspiracy' to undermine his 'personal freedom'."

Post by commonsense »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:33 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:08 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:00 pm The virus comes from China. Mebbe it's the result of eatin' garbage animals (a natural event), but the commies have certainly taken advantage of it, exportin' their problem while keepin' quiet about it for as long as possible and then lyin' through their teeth when it was obvious (to Huston) we have a problem (which isn't really...like lump-clay, it's been shaped up into a problem).

Here, in the U.S., it's the homegrown commies who most vigorously work to prolong the hoodwinkin', er, I mean mitigation, even though the facts are clearly sayin' mitigation mebbe wasn't, to be generous, not well thought out.

Yeah, I'm rabid & atavistic, but that don't mean I'm wrong.
It's certainly possible that the WHO may have overreacted, however, I sort of doubt communism has anything to do with what happened. Also, it seems difficult to know what the results would have been had no precautions (such as social isolation) been taken, however, it seems plausible that they would have been worse.
George Washington. "The thing that sets the American Christian apart from all other people in the world is that he will die on his feet rather before he will live on his knees."
Washington gives us a choice. Does society prefer to live on our feet in freedom or on our knees in statist slavery like a dog that brings his collar and leash asking to be taken out. Are American ideals essential to support freedom worth the effort?

Being part Russian and Armenian I m well aware of what indoctrinated collectives are capable of so am part of the minority who support the ideals of freedom. The results of Increasing statist slavery are not all that appealing.

Can this pandemic be handled in a way which doesn't destroy the life's work of others? Yes, it is the respect for the ideals freedom is about and offers the choice to American citizens to protect themselves and others.

Perhaps the socialist's goal of slavery has become too ingrained through politics and public education so freedom is no longer possible. Maybe so but I'd rather go down with the ship than bring my collar and leash to Nancy Pelosi asking to be taken out.
It isn’t so much an issue of choosing freedom or choosing slavery as it is a question of whether it’s a matter of everyone for himself or whether we are one nation.

On the one hand it is of paramount importance that individuals are safe from disease and financially stable. Individually we stand, divided some of us fall.

On the other hand the primary concern is crowd-wellness and the idea that no one is an island unto himself. United we stand, individually we fail.
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 2789
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Age

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:02 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:47 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:43 pm

Yes, but my point is, where she lives it could very well be that all of those who died had underlying conditions. It's not outside the possibility presented by the data on that site you linked to.
Where she lives?? Oh please!
What are you so upset about?
You would not ask that if you knew the kind of post she makes to me.

The fact is the the virus can kill people of any age regardless of geography and health.
"Where she lives"; could be defined as anything from planet earth to her house. Well fine I accept that she might not have seen a person die in her house of corona with no underlying conditions, but lets be reasonable about this.
The death toll is increasing every day, despite the lockdown, without let up, except in China (thought she thinks that is a lie), and is not showing any signs of slowing down. The number of deaths where no underlying condition is present is clear, and what goes as "underlying condition" can be a very simple thing such as mild diabetes, or asthma.
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 2789
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Lockdown Protestors

Post by Sculptor »

I don't give a fuck about your house. Most people think "here" is bigger than your bedsit.
Nick_A
Posts: 5562
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: Lockdown Protestors

Post by Nick_A »

commonsense
It isn’t so much an issue of choosing freedom or choosing slavery as it is a question of whether it’s a matter of everyone for himself or whether we are one nation.

On the one hand it is of paramount importance that individuals are safe from disease and financially stable. Individually we stand, divided some of us fall.

On the other hand the primary concern is crowd-wellness and the idea that no one is an island unto himself. United we stand, individually we fail.
At one time the idea of freedom contained the idea of one nation under God with liberty and justice for all. Removing the God concept and higher consciousness has left us with several collectives all fighting for power and supremacy. There is no more "one nation." Consequently the idea of freedom has been sacrificed for slavery to secular government under the guize of safety. The only real safety is safety from the hypocrisy of government. Without it, liberty is impossible.
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9570
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Lockdown Protestors

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:39 pm
I don't give a fuck about your house. Most people think "here" is bigger than your bedsit.
Fuck you, you bitter old kunt. A country isn't a house you weird old 'academic' turd. And yeah, ex chain smokers who've had chemo are at risk everywhere from this virus--and from everything else (including second wave cancer).

You just can't stand to admit when you are wrong and have made a complete arse of yourself. Why do YOU only mention the US then?
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply