Lockdown Protestors

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Re: Lockdown Protestors

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:12 pm
Nick_A wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:44 pm
Benjamin Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
I've read that if we just save one person from death it is worth sacrificing liberty and and freedom. I've read others who still value American ideals who say that sacrificing American lives as in war is the cost of freedom. Is freedom worth it? Those days are over. Now just surrender to the Federal government and pray they will protect you and offer you safety.. Heh, heh, heh, foolish child.
It's funny, yanks are the only people on the planet who refer to 'lives' by Nationality (specifically their own). Yanks are the foremost example of 'protesting too loudly' about EVERYTHING. Such phonies.
Apparently rich yank doomsdayers are coming here to expensive underground bunkers that they've set up for just such an eventuality. Perhaps another huge earthquake will bury them alive (and wouldn't that be a crying shame).
Yes, since the pandemic is a global process, it seems off to comment on American lives without attention to the rest of humanity.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Nick_A wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:44 pm
Benjamin Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
I've read that if we just save one person from death it is worth sacrificing liberty and and freedom. I've read others who still value American ideals who say that sacrificing American lives as in war is the cost of freedom. Is freedom worth it? Those days are over. Now just surrender to the Federal government and pray they will protect you and offer you safety.. Heh, heh, heh, foolish child.
Cowards! Anyone who hides in their basement and won’t face the enemy head on is a coward.

Heroes! The ones who are fully aware of the danger but proceed in spite of danger are heroes.

Our heroes risk their lives in order to protect the rest of us. They are ready to give their lives for us.

They are not fools. They fight for our freedom.

Because of our heroes, we have the freedom to choose to stay at home.

Or we can choose to get tattoos.
henry quirk

robot overlord

Post by henry quirk »

JH’s numbers.

and comparison

Your conclusion (that Coronavirus is not more worrisome and nasty than Seasonal Flu).

yep

So, maybe 60K from flu and 92K from COVID. That would change the answer to your second question.

mebbe, mebbe not
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:47 am
Protests erupt against coronavirus lockdowns around the world
Demonstrations flare in a number of countries as people rebel against measures introduced to contain virus.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... und-world/
Stirrings of unrest around the world could portend turmoil as economies collapse
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/co ... story.html
I believe these protestors are ignorant and selfish and in addition the government concerned are not effective in dealing [educating and taking care of the poorer] with the necessary lockdown.

Views?
Libtards are more than ordinarily susceptible to FAKE NEWS.
If only the virus was more fatal, we could see an adjustment in sensibility from the Darwin Awards.
Libtards are so stupid as to conclude from an effective lockdown that the virus is no more virulent than ordinary flu. Duh!
henry quirk

beer virus filler

Post by henry quirk »

🍺
Last edited by henry quirk on Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:59 am I live in Florida and recently talked to a woman who had moved down here from NY to retire. Apparently, she knows several people who have died from the virus including a few cousins up in NY. It seems like Covid 19 is pretty nasty stuff.
I've had a friend die, and a health worker who has caught the virus in the line of duty; the same guy who has been told to "fuck off back to Africa".
commonsense

Re: robot overlord

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:18 am JH’s numbers.

and comparison

Your conclusion (that Coronavirus is not more worrisome and nasty than Seasonal Flu).

yep

So, maybe 60K from flu and 92K from COVID. That would change the answer to your second question.

mebbe, mebbe not
Yes. Yes. Yes.

I actually had a brain fart when I said that the comparison was yours instead of theirs.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Libtards are so stupid as to conclude from an effective lockdown that the virus is no more virulent than ordinary flu. Duh!

One of my points is that there hasn't been an effective lockdown.

What we have here, in the U.S., is arbitrary, irrational and unevenly applied.

Most obvious: New York, the premier American beer virus hot spot, less than a week ago, was still runnin' subways and public transit buses.

Yes, crammin' folks into small metal boxes underground, crammin' folks into small metal boxes on the streets, that there is great social distancing.

Me: I drive my car...alone (or with my kid).

Consider too: when I, for example, isolate, I go into my house and close the door. My house is a nice sized box, sittin' all by itself, well apart from my neighbors.

When a New York City dweller isolates he goes into his apartment...a box sharing walls, and air ducts, with every other box in the building.

Effective lockdowns? Consistent lockdowns?

nope
henry quirk

brain fart

Post by henry quirk »

as a metal tyrant, it's more likely you picked up a virus from one of your many calcubines
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:32 am
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:59 am I live in Florida and recently talked to a woman who had moved down here from NY to retire. Apparently, she knows several people who have died from the virus including a few cousins up in NY. It seems like Covid 19 is pretty nasty stuff.
I've had a friend die, and a health worker who has caught the virus in the line of duty; the same guy who has been told to "fuck off back to Africa".
How convenient. I heard that the 'selfless saint frontline workers' are sitting around twiddling their thumbs with nothing to do (except apparently to post dance videos on social media), because all the elective surgeries have been put on hold, and even many non-elective ones--and all for the great almighty cold virus. You can't even go to the dentist here. Or hairdresser.
Oh well, the world had to change anyway. Hopefully no more dependence on ratbag China. I just hope govts. tear up their 'free trade' agreements.
How is the 'borderless world utopia' idea going for ya? :lol:
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

From the Preamble to the Declaration of Independence:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
How quickly fear and indoctrination make people forget the value of freedom. Now the experts speak of the New Normal. The Creator will be the State. Life will be defined by serving the state. Liberty will be defined by the means for doing so and pursuit of happiness will be defined by paying the bills of the state for your own good.

I do prefer the old normal instead of this fear of the unknown has people surrendering freedom for the new normal in which the government takes care of you. This virus could be elininated by some voluntary common sense. But instead The government will provide state approved work to replace lost jobs. Creeping Slavery has its benefits for all those attracted to slavery and willing to sell their soul for thirty pieces of silver, tax deductable of course.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Nick_A wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:22 am From the Preamble to the Declaration of Independence:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
How quickly fear and indoctrination make people forget the value of freedom. Now the experts speak of the New Normal. The Creator will be the State. Life will be defined by serving the state. Liberty will be defined by the means for doing so and pursuit of happiness will be defined by paying the bills of the state for your own good.

I do prefer the old normal instead of this fear of the unknown has people surrendering freedom for the new normal in which the government takes care of you. This virus could be elininated by some voluntary common sense. But instead The government will provide state approved work to replace lost jobs. Creeping Slavery has its benefits for all those attracted to slavery and willing to sell their soul for thirty pieces of silver, tax deductable of course.
:thumbsup:
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Nick_A wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:22 am From the Preamble to the Declaration of Independence:

Nick_A: "This virus could be eliminated by some voluntary common sense."

You are too idealistic in this case and not realistic.

The reality is there is a percentile, I estimate a large % of people do not possess the necessary common sense to deal with this very sophisticated Covid19 virus.
In addition, this Covid19 virus is very complex [as evident] and virulent that a reasonable higher intelligence and wisdom is needed to deal with it.

By the look at the graphs, if no Lockdowns were implemented around the world, it is likely the Covid19 virus will have a free-run spree and infected a majority of humans [even pets] and other animals.
Thus if you were solely in charge in this case with your demand of absolute liberty, the human species could likely be extinct in time.

In this case, the government has to get involved and restrict the individual's freedom to some degree - there is no other way until a foolproof vaccine is available.
Despite what is promised in the Constitution, the citizen has to be pragmatic, sacrifice and make it an exception in this case.

Post by Age »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:41 pm Do the maths and work out, or just magine, how many more would have died if human beings were allowed to just carry on as they were.

Workin' the numbers is all I'm doin'.
The numbers you use is 61,000 die per year in the usa from seasonal flu, and, 46,000 died from corona virus, correct?

If this is correct, then that 61,000 is per year and the 46,000 is in just 2 months. Is this correct?

If this is correct, then from zero deaths to 46,000 deaths within 2 months, and with a "lockdown" in place, then it would be very easy to see how quickly that miserable 61,000 deaths would be surpassed per year without a lockdown.

Now by all means go out and chase after more money for yourself, but if you brought corona virus back home and your kid died, then who would you blame?
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:41 pm If beer virus has been in the U.S. since Dec. or Nov. of last year; if more folks than assumed were or are infected and are asymptomatic, then the mortality rate we all piss ourselves over is lower than thought.
If corona virus has been in usa longer than first thought, then that means more have probably died from it than already counted.
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:41 pm Couple this lower mortality rate with...

New York pads their beer virus death count (Joe dies of heart attack in-hospital, Joe is counted as a beer virus victim).
And where are you getting this "information" from exactly?
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:41 pm ...and beer virus may be milder than even I think.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:58 am

Nick_A: "This virus could be eliminated by some voluntary common sense."

You are too idealistic in this case and not realistic.

The reality is there is a percentile, I estimate a large % of people do not possess the necessary common sense to deal with this very sophisticated Covid19 virus.
In addition, this Covid19 virus is very complex [as evident] and virulent that a reasonable higher intelligence and wisdom is needed to deal with it.

By the look at the graphs, if no Lockdowns were implemented around the world, it is likely the Covid19 virus will have a free-run spree and infected a majority of humans [even pets] and other animals.
Thus if you were solely in charge in this case with your demand of absolute liberty, the human species could likely be extinct in time.

In this case, the government has to get involved and restrict the individual's freedom to some degree - there is no other way until a foolproof vaccine is available.
Despite what is promised in the Constitution, the citizen has to be pragmatic, sacrifice and make it an exception in this case.

All you are saying is that you are incapable of the attitude necessary to sustain freedom. It is essential for you to sacrifice it for the illusion of a federal government willing to take over your responsibility ensuring slavery to it. You may be right but we don't have to bend over like trained dogs willfully proving our ignorance and gullibility. Those willing and able should fight to defend the human ideals expressed in the constitution.