perspective, numbers, facts

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: perspective, based only in the numbers

Post by Sculptor »

Impenitent wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:31 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:42 am
Impenitent wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:33 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_ ... ted_States

the CDC reports the total from 1972-2016 was only 46,413,319

covid 19 has only about 46.3 million more to catch up...

-Imp
This is cheapskate equivocation and conflation.

So are you implying humanity need to ignore Covid19 or give it less attention but direct attention to the issue of abortion?

The critical point is Covid19 is a new threat and there is a lot of uncertainty over it.
We don't know yet whether if any vaccine is discovered whether it can catch up if this unfamiliar virus can mutate too fast for the vaccines to control it.
Thus due to this uncertainty, Covid19 would possibly exterminate the human species if we do not give it the current attention and preventive measures.

Abortion is a problem but we know it is not a threat to the extermination of the human species.
https://tennesseestar.com/2020/04/06/wo ... -pandemic/

I was just playing the statistics game... some murders are better than others

-Imp
You link has no mention of murder.
Abortion is definitely an essential service.
It's most amusing that the US is keeping open gun shops as an essential service in some states, yet denying people abortions.
An unwanted child facing a parent in lockdown, or with an infection in lockdown is a potential horror.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:16 am
John*S Hopkins 4-17-20

*see, Robot Overlord? I cans lurn.

Yes, I noticed :)
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:57 am
henry quirk wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:16 am
John*S Hopkins 4-17-20

*see, Robot Overlord? I cans lurn.
Yes, I noticed :)
:thumbsup:

Look for more propaganda (numbers) later today.

Post by Age »

Impenitent wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:33 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_ ... ted_States

-Imp

So are you implying humanity need to ignore Covid19 or give it less attention but direct attention to the issue of abortion?

The critical point is Covid19 is a new threat and there is a lot of uncertainty over it.
We don't know yet whether if any vaccine is discovered whether it can catch up if this unfamiliar virus can mutate too fast for the vaccines to control it.
Thus due to this uncertainty, Covid19 would possibly exterminate the human species if we do not give it the current attention and preventive measures.

Abortion is a problem but we know it is not a threat to the extermination of the human species.
Do you really think a virus could exterminate absolutely every human being?

If the last remaining human beings are not smart enough to completely isolate themselves away from those with the virus, then this would show that the human species was not really that smart enough anyway. If a species like the human one can not keep its self alive, from a virus, then they do not really deserve to keep living anyway.

Besides the fact that there would obviously be some smart enough people who would isolate themselves away so that the human species would not be exterminated, the Truly smart human beings have already been isolating themselves away from the rest of 'us' - Truly stupid ones. These actually smart ones are the sentinelese, and as long as they are left alone completely, by the rest of us, then the human species will not be exterminated by this virus.

Sadly every other culture has been overrun and thus not been able to be infected by us stupid ones.
henry quirk

world numbers (approximates)

Post by henry quirk »

Population: 7,800,000,000

Non-Coronavirus deaths per day: 156,864

Coronavirus death total as of 4-20-20: 164,656
henry quirk

numbers

Post by henry quirk »

8B182D23-0071-407F-87C7-9F08E5CFDBBC.jpeg
8B182D23-0071-407F-87C7-9F08E5CFDBBC.jpeg (106.9 KiB) Viewed 2860 times
henry quirk

perspective (originally posted elsewhere)

Post by henry quirk »

You should look at New York where things are going badly.

You should ask yourself why NY is such a hotspot while other places, almost all other places, are not.

Look at some Johns Hopkins numbers...

New York State Coronavirus death total as of 4-21-20: 19,101

👉🏻New York County Coronavirus death total as of 4-21-20: 14,887👈🏻

Nassau County Coronavirus death total as of 4-21-20: 1,390

See the rather large difference between the two counties' totals?

Goin' through the rest of NY State's 62 counties, the numbers get better and better (lower and lower).

Is mitigation keepin' most of NY state's numbers down, or are open subways in NY City keepin' their numbers up?

🤔

Where it not for the lockdown that could be repeated across the whole of the USA

I live in Louisiana (Coronavirus death total as of 4-21-20: 1,405).

Here's some numbers for some of the parishes I visit regularly...

👉🏻Orleans Coronavirus death total as of 4-21-20: 344👈🏻

Jefferson Coronavirus death total as of 4-21-20: 288

Acadia Coronavirus death total as of 4-21-20: 7

Lafayette Coronavirus death total as of 4-21-20: 17

Iberia Coronavirus death total as of 4-21-20: 21

Vermilion Coronavirus death total as of 4-21-20: 1

In the first week of my state's lockdown, I was good boy. After that first week, I became progressively less good...and so did everyone else. I'm out & about everyday tryin' to make a buck, travelin' to and from all my usual locations ('cept for Orleans). There are a few shuttered businesses, and many open businesses operatin' under restriction, but mostly commerce is happenin' as it always has. In fact, seems to me all essential (and more than a few nonessential) businesses are as busy, if not more, as they were pre-Coronavirus.

Loads of people, like me, are out & about every day, most not wearin' masks or abidin' the six feet rule.

We're filthy, noncompliant, buggers down here, and we aren't droppin' dead from a nasty cold.
Last edited by henry quirk on Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:47 am
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:59 am I live in Florida and recently talked to a woman who had moved down here from NY to retire. Apparently, she knows several people who have died from the virus including a few cousins up in NY. It seems like Covid 19 is pretty nasty stuff.
Here's some nastiness for you...

From Johns Hopkins...

Seasonal Flu kills as many as 600,000 folks every friggin' year all over the world. In the U.S. alone, as many as 61,000 folks die from Seasonal Flu. That's 61,000 deaths with a sophisticated, inexpensive inoculation program in place.

Maybe I missed it: did we shut down economies for any Seasonal Flu?

Fu ManFlu has killed approximately 179,000 folks worldwide and approximately 46,000 of those deaths happened in the U.S., and -- as my post above illustrates -- those deaths are extremely localized, unlike flu deaths which are more evenly dispersed. We're relyin' on a haphazard, largely honor-system, method of self-isolation to mitigate the beer virus.

We shut down economies for this.

Is Coronavirus nasty and worrisome? Absolutely.

Is it more so than Seasonal Flu? No, not really.
henry quirk

more nastiness, non-coronavirus edition

Post by henry quirk »

There's nearly 8 billion people livin' right now.

Every year: approximately 58,000,000 people die throughout the world.

From 1-1-20 to 4-22-20: approximately 18,000,000 human being have died throughout the world.

Not a one from the beer virus.

There's over 300,000,000 livin' in the U.S. right now.

Every year: nearly 3,000,000 of those folks die.

From 1-1-20 to 4-22-20: nearly 900,000 have died in America.

Not a one from the commie cold.

There's roughly 19,000,000 livin' in New York State.

Every year: over 150,000 New York State citizens die.

From 1-1-20 to 4-22-20: almost 51,000 New York State citizens have died.

Not a one from Wuhan Wallop.

This is a Death Planet, always has been, always will be: get over it, go back to work, you bums.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Impenitent wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:31 am

-Imp

https://tennesseestar.com/2020/04/06/wo ... -pandemic/

I was just playing the statistics game... some murders are better than others

-Imp
Having your life terminated before you have any awareness whatsoever seems infinitely preferable to dying from choking on your own blood as a fully cognizant adult. There's almost nothing similar between abortion and dying of Covid19. Why even bring up the comparison?
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:49 am Why even bring up the comparison?
There are certain types of whataboutism that you simply shouldn't bother engaging. Linking absurd stuff to abortion in a manner that ladens the whole thing with their abortion=murderedsouls narrrative is one. Another is when Veggie ignores the topic to do her predicatable boilerplate rants about either PCtards or America destroyed the Middle East. There is no point reacting to these things as if they were genuine attempts to deal with the relevant subject matter. They are just examples of a one track mind in action.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Road Injuries killed 1.24 million globally in 2017 — so why hasn’t transport been restricted to ‘essential journeys only’…? Why haven’t stricter testing measure been introduced…? Why aren’t drivers over the age of 80 having their licenses revoked–as they’re the group with the highest rates of driver deaths…?

Homicides killed 405,000 people in 2017 — so why haven’t lockdowns/curfews been enforced to try and lower that figure…?

Alcohol killed some 185,000 — why haven’t bars been closed, and supermarkets banned from selling the stuff…?

And the top spot, Cardiovascular Disease killed a staggering 18 million in 2017 — so why hasn’t obesity been tackled by shutting down fast-food restaurants, why hasn’t smoking been banned (the top two contributors to the illness)…?

Governments around the world are trigger-happily removing peoples social liberties, as well as universally sabotaging the global economy. After studying the below chart from the IMHE & Global Burden of Disease, the question on my lips is why…?

https://electroverse.net/number-of-glob ... -by-cause/
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Statistics and Research
Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Updated daily. Last update: April 26, 2020 (10:45, London time).

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:49 am
Having your life terminated before you have any awareness whatsoever seems infinitely preferable to dying from choking on your own blood as a fully cognizant adult. There's almost nothing similar between abortion and dying of Covid19. Why even bring up the comparison?
As far as I am aware (pardon the pun) once a patient is admitted to a hospital, there is a system put in place where the awareness of PAIN and or any severe discomfort is taken away via the magical discovery of a chemical .. and in some cases, a coma can be induced. So no one really has to suffer the painful effects of consciously drowning.

The point is, pain is there for a very good reason, so if we can't even accept that, then maybe we should just stop procreating these pain feeling entities full stop so they don't have to be subjected to any pain whatsoever, and that way we can have done with this whole pain and suffering problem once and for all. Seems like a logical argument to me anyway.

Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:22 pm Road Injuries killed 1.24 million globally in 2017 — so why hasn’t transport been restricted to ‘essential journeys only’…? Why haven’t stricter testing measure been introduced…? Why aren’t drivers over the age of 80 having their licenses revoked–as they’re the group with the highest rates of driver deaths…?

Homicides killed 405,000 people in 2017 — so why haven’t lockdowns/curfews been enforced to try and lower that figure…?

Alcohol killed some 185,000 — why haven’t bars been closed, and supermarkets banned from selling the stuff…?

And the top spot, Cardiovascular Disease killed a staggering 18 million in 2017 — so why hasn’t obesity been tackled by shutting down fast-food restaurants, why hasn’t smoking been banned (the top two contributors to the illness)…?

Governments around the world are trigger-happily removing peoples social liberties, as well as universally sabotaging the global economy. After studying the below chart from the IMHE & Global Burden of Disease, the question on my lips is why…?

https://electroverse.net/number-of-glob ... -by-cause/
Thanks for your complete list of irrelevant comparisons.