Reality is an Emergence

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

tapaticmadness

Re: Reality is an Emergence

Post by tapaticmadness »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:23 am
I was following the News of the Buddha Boy when he first emerged till he started a following. Was not aware his monks wore blue.

My first view is that boy should not be associated with Buddha at all.
As with all past [not present] religions in alignment with believers expectations, there is a need for a founder which in all cases are purely mythical.
The Buddha Story was merely a MYTH to represent the core principles, teachings, doctrines and practices of Buddhism. There was no real prince then who gave up his rights to a Kingdom and became an ascetic.
It is fishy for those having interests to associate the 'boy' with 'Buddha' and copying Buddha's meditation under a Bodhi tree.

The Buddha Boy was merely performing to attract the ignorant, gullible and vulnerable lay-believers. These sort of performance-based approach are typical of many pseudo Godman, e.g. Sai Baba and others.

Regardless of whoever and whatever the "divine" person claim to perform, what counts for me are the substance, i.e. the core principles, teachings, doctrines and 'spiritual' practices s/he present.
As with Buddha and Buddhism we can read the soundness of his core principles, doctrines, arguments and test his practices.

The so-called Buddha Boy presented no sound core principles, doctrines, argument and practices of his own other than borrowed from the existing Buddhism.
What he presented was merely forms and external outward performance but has no substance to it.
The Buddha Boy or his opportunistic organization was exploiting those who will exercise blind faith rather than use reason, rationality and wisdom as their option to follow or not-to-follow the Buddha Boy.

This is why I prefer.
.. the academic psychologist who attends seminars and presents papers defining and explaining 'what is life' the meaning of life and the purpose of life and strive to live life to the optimal best would be the one who understand life better..
where I can use my discretion to review his arguments and test his theories.
I think you missed the point of what was and is happening with the Buddha Boy. He comes from the Sakya school of Buddhism, which is Tantric, Vajracharya. The main goal of all the Tantric schools is to gain Power, Shakti. It is not what you call the core teachings of Buddha: non-violence, compassion toward all sentient beings, non-attachment etc. In the villages around the Biuddha Boy they also had a Tantric view of religion. Power, Shakt, was what was wanted. How does one get power? In MY opinion, the way for all of Tantra is through violent violation of the Laws of Dharma. Tantra is very secretive, sexual and violent. That is why the Maoists, who were in that forest, protect him from prosecution. They too are seeking power. Prachandra, the Maoist leader, once sacrificed ten oxen to the Goddess to gain power when his revolution was losing. Apparently it worked, because he gained power in the government. Today, the Armed Police Force also protects the Buddha Boy (though he is no longer a boy). Many former Maoist fighters are in that force and they look for continued power. The violence will continue. That's Tantra. Obviously, many here in Nepal and abroad will disagree with me.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

double posting
Last edited by Veritas Aequitas on Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas Aequitas

tapaticmadness wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:50 am I think you missed the point of what was and is happening with the Buddha Boy. He comes from the Sakya school of Buddhism, which is Tantric, Vajracharya. The main goal of all the Tantric schools is to gain Power, Shakti. It is not what you call the core teachings of Buddha: non-violence, compassion toward all sentient beings, non-attachment etc. In the villages around the Biuddha Boy they also had a Tantric view of religion. Power, Shakt, was what was wanted. How does one get power? In MY opinion, the way for all of Tantra is through violent violation of the Laws of Dharma. Tantra is very secretive, sexual and violent. That is why the Maoists, who were in that forest, protect him from prosecution. They too are seeking power. Prachandra, the Maoist leader, once sacrificed ten oxen to the Goddess to gain power when his revolution was losing. Apparently it worked, because he gained power in the government. Today, the Armed Police Force also protects the Buddha Boy (though he is no longer a boy). Many former Maoist fighters are in that force and they look for continued power. The violence will continue. That's Tantra. Obviously, many here in Nepal and abroad will disagree with me.
Whatever School of Buddhism they and he claimed to belong to, they are not Buddhism proper but merely a bastardized form Buddhism.

Anyone can claim to be related to Buddhism, but what they profess as related to Buddhism must be in alignment with Buddhism proper, i.e. the core principles, doctrines, teachings and practices.

You mentioned the elements of the Maoist and other political involvements which made the suspicions more reasonable.

If what is mentioned in the video you linked is true, then there is no way the 'Buddha Boy' path is that of Buddhism-proper.
A Nepali spiritual leader believed by his followers to be a reincarnation of Buddha is under investigation over the disappearance of several devotees, police in Kathmandu have said.

Ram Bahadur Bomjan, known as “Buddha boy”, became famous in 2005 after followers said he could meditate motionless for months without water, food or sleep in Nepal’s jungles.

The 28-year-old has a devout following but has been accused of physically and sexually assaulting some of his followers. Special police investigators have begun inquiries after the families of four devotees allegedly vanished from his ashrams.

“The police have started investigating these complaints against Bomjan,” said Uma Prasad Chaturbedi, a spokesman for Nepal’s Central Investigation Bureau. “The investigation is in preliminary stage and we cannot share many details.”
-Link
The latest - Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Sarlahi court issues warrant against ‘Buddha Boy’, but police fail to track him down
Sindhuli District Police raided the ashram of Ram Bahadur Bomjan, also known as “Buddha Boy”, on Friday morning, but he was not found.
The raid came a day after the Sarlahi District Court issued an arrest warrant against the controversial “spiritual leader” accused of sexual violence.

https://tkpo.st/2tDA3zf
Generally, if the Buddha Boy is really genuine, there would none of the above controversies and alleged scandals.
tapaticmadness

Post by tapaticmadness »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:09 am
Whatever School of Buddhism they and he claimed to belong to, they are not Buddhism proper but merely a bastardized form Buddhism.

Anyone can claim to be related to Buddhism, but what they profess as related to Buddhism must be in alignment with Buddhism proper, i.e. the core principles, doctrines, teachings and practices.

You mentioned the elements of the Maoist and other political involvements which made the suspicions more reasonable.

If what is mentioned in the video you linked is true, then there is no way the 'Buddha Boy' path is that of Buddhism-proper.
A Nepali spiritual leader believed by his followers to be a reincarnation of Buddha is under investigation over the disappearance of several devotees, police in Kathmandu have said.

Ram Bahadur Bomjan, known as “Buddha boy”, became famous in 2005 after followers said he could meditate motionless for months without water, food or sleep in Nepal’s jungles.

The 28-year-old has a devout following but has been accused of physically and sexually assaulting some of his followers. Special police investigators have begun inquiries after the families of four devotees allegedly vanished from his ashrams.

“The police have started investigating these complaints against Bomjan,” said Uma Prasad Chaturbedi, a spokesman for Nepal’s Central Investigation Bureau. “The investigation is in preliminary stage and we cannot share many details.”
-Link
The latest - Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Sarlahi court issues warrant against ‘Buddha Boy’, but police fail to track him down
Sindhuli District Police raided the ashram of Ram Bahadur Bomjan, also known as “Buddha Boy”, on Friday morning, but he was not found.
The raid came a day after the Sarlahi District Court issued an arrest warrant against the controversial “spiritual leader” accused of sexual violence.

https://tkpo.st/2tDA3zf
Generally, if the Buddha Boy is really genuine, there would none of the above controversies and alleged scandals.
[/quote]

I rather doubt he will ever by detained by the police. Or he will be released quickly. He has too many friends in high places and too much money for bribes. The corruption in this country is pervasive and intense. Just this morning I talked to a professor of Sanskrit at Tribhuvan University and a Polish student of his. Both are big fans of Bomjon. The Polish guy is a devotee. Both said that we should pay no attention to the accusations, only to his yogic powers.

Anyway, I surmise that you don't think very highly of Tantric Buddhism. Yes, it does differ from the Buddhism you admire. Where exactly to you think Tantric Buddhism is wrong, other than in deviating from "proper" Buddhism?
Veritas Aequitas

tapaticmadness wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:40 am I rather doubt he will ever by detained by the police. Or he will be released quickly. He has too many friends in high places and too much money for bribes. The corruption in this country is pervasive and intense. Just this morning I talked to a professor of Sanskrit at Tribhuvan University and a Polish student of his. Both are big fans of Bomjon. The Polish guy is a devotee. Both said that we should pay no attention to the accusations, only to his yogic powers.

Anyway, I surmise that you don't think very highly of Tantric Buddhism. Yes, it does differ from the Buddhism you admire. Where exactly to you think Tantric Buddhism is wrong, other than in deviating from "proper" Buddhism?
I did not state 'tantric' Buddhism is outright wrong.

We have to review what is claimed for 'tantric' Buddhism by the various groups in terms of its doctrines, practices, etc.

Whoever use the name 'tantric' is associating with Buddhism, but their core principles, doctrines and practices are in alignment with Buddhism-proper, I would not say that is wrong relative to Buddhism-proper.

However, if they are not in alignment with Buddhism-proper, then they are wrong relative to Buddhism-proper.

Here is where Tantric is viewed as evil and not Buddhism-proper or Hinduism proper;
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-many-Hindu ... sm-as-evil
Tantrism (aka Tantric yoga or just Tantra) is often perceived as evil because, at least in medieval times, Tantrikas were seen as sorcerors, and many tantras were seen as black magic: rituals to gather or manipulate supernatural power in order to harm others.

Consider Prof. Judit Torzsok's translation of the Siddhayogesvarımata, a medieval compendium of Tantric rites, and her analysis of the supernatural powers (siddhis) they were supposed to achieve:

• 1. sdttvika siddhis: well-being / being well-fed (pusti I dpydyana); expiation / pacification (sdnti); [saving things] in case some disaster occurs (upasarge samut-panne); conquering death (mrtyumjaya); eloquence / poetic talent (kavitva); the ability to be infinitely small, big etc. (animddigundh); final release (moksa).

2. rdjasa siddhis: subjugating people to one's will (vasyd); attracting people (esp. women, dkarsana); going to the underworld (pdtdlecaratvam); flying (khe-caratvam); disappearing (antardhdnam); "pill-siddhi" (a pill, put in the mouth, is said to make one invisible, gulikdsiddhi); and a siddhi with a magic wand and a bowl (siddhakdsthakamandalau).

3. tdmasa siddhis, twelve kinds of black magic (abhicdras) listed in chapter 24: murder (mdrana), expelling someone (uccdtana), annihilation (jambhana), paralysing (stambhana), benumbing (mohana), "nailing down" (kllana), taking away someone's speech (vdcdpahdra), making someone dumb (mukatva), deaf (bddhirya), blind (andhana), impotent (sandhlkarana), and changing one's form (rupasya parivartanam) (Torzsok 2000: 138-139).
    [As quoted in "Genesis and Development of Tantra"
tapaticmadness

Post by tapaticmadness »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:13 am [
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-many-Hindu ... sm-as-evil
Tantrism (aka Tantric yoga or just Tantra) is often perceived as evil because, at least in medieval times, Tantrikas were seen as sorcerors, and many tantras were seen as black magic: rituals to gather or manipulate supernatural power in order to harm others.
I think you are saying that Tantra is wrong when it does bad things. Don't forget that Tantra gets its powers from Mahadevi, the Great Goddess. And She has both good and demonic forms. The Black Magic of Tantra is just the demonic side of that goddess. She is also present in Tantric Buddhism.
tapaticmadness

Post by tapaticmadness »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:13 am

Here is where Tantric is viewed as evil and not Buddhism-proper or Hinduism proper;

Let me give you my general impression of Ram Bomjon. At the beginning he was really cute. Sitting in the fire, he was downright sexy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foJb1KHo7sM . Now he is old and fat and I can't stand the way he acts. I just want to slap his face. Nonetheless, I think he is a proper Buddha for our time - a Punk Buddha. He blasphemes. He desecrates. He violates every Dharma rule. He is a holy terror. I really don't like him. As for whether or not he really did go for months without eating or drinking, who cares. I am begrudgingly impressed. So what? I am more impressed by his unlawfulness. His sassiness. His self-centered nastiness. That is a Buddha for today. We are at the end of the age. Everything is coming undone. Even Buddhism. Hari Ram. Hari Fuckhead.
Veritas Aequitas

tapaticmadness wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:28 am

Let me give you my general impression of Ram Bomjon. At the beginning he was really cute. Sitting in the fire, he was downright sexy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foJb1KHo7sM . Now he is old and fat and I can't stand the way he acts. I just want to slap his face. Nonetheless, I think he is a proper Buddha for our time - a Punk Buddha. He blasphemes. He desecrates. He violates every Dharma rule. He is a holy terror. I really don't like him. As for whether or not he really did go for months without eating or drinking, who cares. I am begrudgingly impressed. So what? I am more impressed by his unlawfulness. His sassiness. His self-centered nastiness. That is a Buddha for today. We are at the end of the age. Everything is coming undone. Even Buddhism. Hari Ram. Hari Fuckhead.
If you are going that direction and continuum, it is probable you would like to a sidekick to Hitler.
tapaticmadness

Post by tapaticmadness »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:17 am

If you are going that direction and continuum, it is probable you would like to a sidekick to Hitler.
I take it that you think Ram Bomjom is right up there with Hitler in the Evil category. But maybe you didn't mean that. It's hard to tell. The Sanskrit professor who wants me to work with him on writing about Vyasa, the divider of the Vedas, thinks Ram is great and greatly abused by the police. His pupil from Poland was and is a close follower of Ram and likewise defends him totally. I think the guy is a murderer, torturer and rapist on the human level, but on the divine level he's just helping people cross over. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCUkH1d7agw&t=328s
Veritas Aequitas

tapaticmadness wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:31 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:17 am

I take it that you think Ram Bomjom is right up there with Hitler in the Evil category. But maybe you didn't mean that. It's hard to tell. The Sanskrit professor who wants me to work with him on writing about Vyasa, the divider of the Vedas, thinks Ram is great and greatly abused by the police. His pupil from Poland was and is a close follower of Ram and likewise defends him totally. I think the guy is a murderer, torturer and rapist on the human level, but on the divine level he's just helping people cross over. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCUkH1d7agw&t=328s
Nope I did not say "right up there" but along the same continuum thus the likelihood.
I think the guy is a murderer, torturer and rapist on the human level, but on the divine level he's just helping people cross over.
It is the same with Islam and Muhammad which had inspired evil prone Muslims to kill more than 200 million non-Muslims since Islam emerged.
These Muslim jihadists definitely believed Allah will bring them to cross over to Paradise with a promised of 72 virgins and also virgin-boys if they prefer such.
  • Quran Chapter 56:
    56:11 Those are the ones brought near [to Allah ]
    56:12 In the Gardens of Pleasure,
    56:13 A [large] company of the former peoples
    56:14 And a few of the later peoples,
    56:15 On thrones woven [with ornament],
    56:16 Reclining on them, facing each other.
    56:17 There will circulate among them young boys made eternal
Note I stated DNA wise ALL humans are programmed with a faculty of Morality which is evolving at present to drive all humans towards higher competencies of morality.

Those who think Ram Bomjom is great definitely has lower grade morality [like Hitler and his likes] or they are purely ignorant in terms of morality. I don't think these people can change their moral competence immediately.

Note when I discuss the hope of higher morality, it is with reference to future generations not the present generation.
tapaticmadness

Post by tapaticmadness »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:13 am
It is the same with Islam and Muhammad which had inspired evil prone Muslims to kill more than 200 million non-Muslims since Islam emerged.
These Muslim jihadists definitely believed Allah will bring them to cross over to Paradise with a promised of 72 virgins and also virgin-boys if they prefer such.
  • Quran Chapter 56:
Note I stated DNA wise ALL humans are programmed with a faculty of Morality which is evolving at present to drive all humans towards higher competencies of morality.

Those who think Ram Bomjom is great definitely has lower grade morality [like Hitler and his likes] or they are purely ignorant in terms of morality. I don't think these people can change their moral competence immediately.

Note when I discuss the hope of higher morality, it is with reference to future generations not the present generation.
I think your problem is that you have no appreciation or understanding of conceptual poetry.
Veritas Aequitas

tapaticmadness wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:35 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:13 am
  • Quran Chapter 56:

I think your problem is that you have no appreciation or understanding of conceptual poetry.
I do like poetry [conceptual and others] and the arts, but not blindly nor by faith.
When I was living in the UK, my favorite pastime was to visit art galleries and muzeums.
I appreciate poetry and the arts with an understanding of their limitations.
  • To see a World in a Grain of Sand
    And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
    And Eternity in an hour.
    —William Blake
The above makes sense and stirs one's psyche but ultimately we have to justify any decision or conclusion that is to be drawn regarding reality.
tapaticmadness

Post by tapaticmadness »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:48 am
    And Eternity in an hour.
    —William Blake
The above makes sense and stirs one's psyche but ultimately we have to justify any decision or conclusion that is to be drawn regarding reality.
I still think you have no idea what conceptual poetry is as opposed to traditional poetry, such as that poem by Blake. Look at this site - http://ubu.com/
Veritas Aequitas

tapaticmadness wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:55 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:48 am
    And Eternity in an hour.
    —William Blake
I still think you have no idea what conceptual poetry is as opposed to traditional poetry, such as that poem by Blake. Look at this site - http://ubu.com/
Never mind if I am not a purist of conceptual poetry - it is not something I must strive for, but at the least I am not an intellectual robot or nerd.
I also like poetry from Ralph Waldo Emerson and the likes.

Note also Koans;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C5%8Dan
tapaticmadness

Post by tapaticmadness »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:34 am
at the least I am not an intellectual robot or nerd.
Yes, you are getting close. Conceptual poetry can be written by robots and nerds. It is conceptual, not emotional.

Here's Craig Dworken -
Poetry expresses the emotional truth of the self. A craft honed by especially sensitive individuals, it puts metaphor and image in the service of song.
Or at least that's the story we've inherited from Romanticism, handed down for over 200 years in a caricatured and mummified ethos - and as if it still made sense after two centuries of radical social change. It's a story we all know so well that the terms of its once avant-garde formulation by William Wordsworth are still familiar, even if its original manifesto tone has been lost: "I have said," he famously reiterated, "that poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings; it takes its origin from emotion recollected in tranquility."

But what would a non-expressive poetry look like? A poetry of intellect rather than emotion? One in which the substitutions at the heart of metaphor and image were replaced by the direct presentation of language itself, with "spontaneous overflow" supplanted by meticulous procedure and exhaustively logical process? In which the self-regard of the poet's ego were turned back onto the self-reflexive language of the poem itself? So that the test of poetry were no longer whether it could have been done better (the question of the workshop), but whether it could conceivably have been done otherwise.