Coronavirus Craziness

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Coronavirus Craziness

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:02 pm It’s Johns, not John.

noted

#

Keep lying to yourself that it's "just like the flu"

It's less than.

We're bein' hoodwinked.

#

Doesn’t that mean that we can stop worrying about Coronavirus?

Nope. We should worry, just not at the insane, unnecessary level we have been.
Oh come on now. This is deadly serious. We just had our second fatality--a ninety six year old woman in a rest home with (shock) multiple health conditions. Where's your heart? She might have lived for at least another week otherwise.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:47 pm
henry quirk wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:02 pm It’s Johns, not John.

noted

#

Keep lying to yourself that it's "just like the flu"

It's less than.

We're bein' hoodwinked.

#

Doesn’t that mean that we can stop worrying about Coronavirus?

Nope. We should worry, just not at the insane, unnecessary level we have been.
Oh come on now. This is deadly serious. We just had our second fatality--a ninety six year old woman in a rest home with (shock) multiple health conditions. Where's your heart? She might have lived for at least another week otherwise.
In the fridge, next to my beer.
Skepdick

Re: John Hopkins 4-10-20

Post by Skepdick »

commonsense wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:53 pm Hospitalizations in NY are down now. Doesn’t that mean that we can stop worrying about Coronavirus?
How are you measuring this "down"? it hasn't hit an inflection point yet.

https://www.bing.com/covid/local/newyork_unitedstates
https://www.bing.com/covid/local/unitedstates
commonsense

Re: Johns Hopkins 4-10-20

Post by commonsense »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:51 pm
commonsense wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:53 pm Hospitalizations in NY are down now. Doesn’t that mean that we can stop worrying about Coronavirus?
How are you measuring this "down"? it hasn't hit an inflection point yet.

https://www.bing.com/covid/local/newyork_unitedstates
https://www.bing.com/covid/local/unitedstates
Ah! Point taken. CNN’s crawl line mislead me!
henry quirk

Death

Post by henry quirk »

vegetariantaxidermy

At least something good might come out of this. That people finally realise what an irrational, unworkable, shallow pile of shit so-called 'neoliberalism' is. If people have any sense it will mark the end of that immoral, smug, eugenics-based political ideology for good.
It's pretty disgusting that the US, which is probably the wealthiest country, seems to be incapable of looking after its own people.
What do 'neoliberals' do when the tables are turned on THEM and they are having to burn their Ayn Rand books to keep warm? Do they .. 'gasp'..ask the Govt. to help them?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:42 am At least something good might come out of this. That people finally realise what an irrational, unworkable, shallow pile of shit so-called 'neoliberalism' is. If people have any sense it will mark the end of that immoral, smug, eugenics-based political ideology for good.
It's pretty disgusting that the US, which is probably the wealthiest country, seems to be incapable of looking after its own people.
What do 'neoliberals' do when the tables are turned on THEM and they are having to burn their Ayn eRand books to keep warm? Do they .. 'gasp'..ask the Govt. to help them?
For sure I cannot depend on the Federal government to aid me. No one should expect a laissez fair government to rescue them from a health crisis. Even help for a financial crisis should be expected to be too little, too late.
vegetariantaxidermy

commonsense wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:22 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:42 am At least something good might come out of this. That people finally realise what an irrational, unworkable, shallow pile of shit so-called 'neoliberalism' is. If people have any sense it will mark the end of that immoral, smug, eugenics-based political ideology for good.
What do 'neoliberals' do when the tables are turned on THEM and they are having to burn their Ayn eRand books to keep warm? Do they .. 'gasp'..ask the Govt. to help them?
For sure I cannot depend on the Federal government to aid me. No one should expect a laissez fair government to rescue them from a health crisis. Even help for a financial crisis should be expected to be too little, too late.
Most people aren't that happy to die, and want some kind of return for all the money they've put into the health care system etc. The likes of you and Henry might hanker after a dog-eat-dog Mad Max world but normal humans do not.
Just saw Boris Johnson's speech (or part of it). How ironic to hear him gushing with praise for the NHS. Isn't he the one with the greatest admiration for the Thatcher creature, high priestess of the neo-libs who have been eroding the world's health services for decades?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:35 pm
Most people aren't that happy to die, and want some kind of return for all the money they've put into the health care system etc. The likes of you and Henry might hanker after a dog-eat-dog Mad Max world but normal humans do not.
Just saw Boris Johnson's speech (or part of it). How ironic to hear him gushing with praise for the NHS. Isn't he the one with the greatest admiration for the Thatcher creature, high priestess of the neo-libs who have been eroding the world's health services for decades?
If I gave anyone the impression that I would be happy to die, I’ve made a grave error. I just don’t think that I can wait for the Trump administration to provide timely or effective relief. Fortunately, the private sector and many State governments are stepping up to meet the challenge.
vegetariantaxidermy

commonsense wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:17 pm

If I gave anyone the impression that I would be happy to die, I’ve made a grave error. I just don’t think that I can wait for the Trump administration to provide timely or effective relief. Fortunately, the private sector and many State governments are stepping up to meet the challenge.
And how are they doing that?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:40 pm
commonsense wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:17 pm

And how are they doing that?
How? Rather minimally I’d say. A few companies have re-tooled their factories to manufacture PPE. Some credit is due those governors who have issued stay-at-home “orders”. On closer inspection I’d say these measures are also too little, too late.
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Death

I think you would be interested in what this guy has to say Henry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UO3Wd5urg0

He's interviewed here as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhjzBcP61qA

He mentions that Fauci guy.

They will only know the true mortality rate when they have tested a very large cross-section of the population for antibodies since there are probably a lot people who have had it without knowing it. I'm guessing at .1 percent, but it's just a guess, like everyone else is doing-- including the 'experts'.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I think you would be interested in what this guy has to say Henry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UO3Wd5urg0

He's interviewed here as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhjzBcP61qA

Thanks, I'll take a gander.

They will only know the true mortality rate when they have tested a very large cross-section of the population for antibodies since there are probably a lot people who have had it without knowing it. I'm guessing at .1 percent, but it's just a guess, like everyone else is doing-- including the 'experts'.

If we could get an accurate account of everyone who was/is infected, I'm thinkin' we'd find the mortality rate to be infinitesimal. This, of course, is why there'll never be any real attempt at testing of a very large cross-section of the population for antibodies.

If folks understood they'd been hoodwinked in such a costly way (local, regional, national, world economies purposefully repressed; individual liberties constrained, just to combat a nasty cold), there just might be large-scale hell to pay.

I'll post numbers (just numbers) tomorrow.

As usual: folks can make of them as they like.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:10 am They will only know the true mortality rate when they have tested a very large cross-section of the population for antibodies since there are probably a lot people who have had it without knowing it. I'm guessing at .1 percent, but it's just a guess, like everyone else is doing-- including the 'experts'.
That will be nice, but there's no strict reason we need an antibody test for that. By current accounting something like 10 to 15% of New York has had the disease, 20% at most. By yours, more or less all of them have had it, so it will go away by itself in the next week or so.
vegetariantaxidermy

FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:01 am
henry quirk wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:10 am They will only know the true mortality rate when they have tested a very large cross-section of the population for antibodies since there are probably a lot people who have had it without knowing it. I'm guessing at .1 percent, but it's just a guess, like everyone else is doing-- including the 'experts'.
That will be nice, but there's no strict reason we need an antibody test for that. By current accounting something like 10 to 15% of New York has had the disease, 20% at most. By yours, more or less all of them have had it, so it will go away by itself in the next week or so.
He didn't say that, he was just quoting me. We do need an antibody test for it because it's possible that many people have had the virus without knowing it and they could now have immunity or at least resisitance to the virus therefore there is no reason why they couldn't return to work. There is also a very big difference between something with a .1 percent mortality rate and a 3 percent death rate. It would enable researchers to determine a reasonably accurate mortality rate, allowing govts. to make informed decisions on how to deal with it rather than just guessing and hoping they are doing the right thing. If you look at New Zealand, it has 1339 cases with 5 deaths. That's .37 percent. But those 5 people were all elderly with major health issues, therefore .37 percent is not a true indicator of the mortality rate.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.