Coronavirus Craziness

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 10129
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

overloading the health service

Post by henry quirk »

Here, in the U.S., 90% or more of the system is not overloaded.

In my state, for example: while every parish has infections, the bulk of infections is in Orleans parish, specifically in New Orleans. There, medical services are taxed; here, three hours away, services are not taxed. Reporting, and our own lousy governor, would have have everyone believe Louisiana as a whole in in dire straits when this is not the case.

Governor Nipple Ring in New York does much the same, casting his state as plague-ridden when the hot spot is the city.

In short: my governor, NY's governor, are both lookin' to lay claim to as big a share of federal dollars as possible. Worst case pays off bigger than not-worst case.

But, as I say, no gives a crap, so I'm just rantin' to myself.
User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 4926
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: overloading the health service

Post by attofishpi »

.
Last edited by attofishpi on Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 4926
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus Craziness

Post by attofishpi »

.
Last edited by attofishpi on Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
commonsense
Posts: 3298
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Johns Hopkins

Post by commonsense »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:18 am
commonsense wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:45 pm I believe that the septa-, octa- and nonagenarians have enough disposable income that they are needed as consumers.
This is utterly irrelevant.
When they die their wealth does not disappear, it goes to their younger relative who are more likely to spend it unleashing stimulus.
I agree and said as much in the sentences following what you highlighted. The comment is relevant when read in the context of what followed it.
Impenitent
Posts: 3248
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Coronavirus Craziness

Post by Impenitent »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:25 pm ...

We have both heard that Americans are REALLY BAD carriers...
you heard wrong...

Spanish armada? nope

English fleet? nope

Japanese fleet? nope

American carriers rule the oceans

-Imp
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 2798
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Coronavirus Craziness

Post by Sculptor »

Impenitent wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:57 pm
attofishpi wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:25 pm ...

We have both heard that Americans are REALLY BAD carriers...
you heard wrong...

Spanish armada? nope

English fleet? nope

Japanese fleet? nope

American carriers rule the oceans

-Imp
Maybe those carriers can carry the half a million confirmed cases and dump them in the sea?
commonsense
Posts: 3298
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Johns Hopkins

Post by commonsense »

commonsense wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:29 pm
Sculptor wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:18 am
commonsense wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:45 pm I believe that the septa-, octa- and nonagenarians have enough disposable income that they are needed as consumers.
This is utterly irrelevant.
When they die their wealth does not disappear, it goes to their younger relative who are more likely to spend it unleashing stimulus.
I agree and said as much in the sentences following what you highlighted. The comment is relevant when read in the context of what followed it.
Furthermore, the heirs would not have money to unleash a stimulus if their parents had not accumulated the money first. Again, not irrelevant.
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9572
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: overloading the health service

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:03 pm Here, in the U.S., 90% or more of the system is not overloaded.

In my state, for example: while every parish has infections, the bulk of infections is in Orleans parish, specifically in New Orleans. There, medical services are taxed; here, three hours away, services are not taxed. Reporting, and our own lousy governor, would have have everyone believe Louisiana as a whole in in dire straits when this is not the case.

Governor Nipple Ring in New York does much the same, casting his state as plague-ridden when the hot spot is the city.

In short: my governor, NY's governor, are both lookin' to lay claim to as big a share of federal dollars as possible. Worst case pays off bigger than not-worst case.

But, as I say, no gives a crap, so I'm just rantin' to myself.
New York has a large number of multi billionaires. Perhaps they could be persuaded to part with some of their hoard of precious numbers to help the city out?
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9572
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Coronavirus Craziness

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Iceland is a very good case study because of the huge number of tests being done relative to the population. It won't be long before the whole population has been tested then the true mortality rate will be known. As it stands it looks as if it will end up being under 1 percent (very rough estimate).
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 10129
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

John Hopkins 4-10-20

Post by henry quirk »

Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases

Confirmed (approximate): 1,631,310

Deaths (approximate): 98,401

Recovered (approximate): 365,722

-----

Infections

COVID-19: Approximately 1,612,646 cases worldwide; approximately 466,299 cases in the U.S. as of Apr. 10, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths

COVID-19: Approximately 96,787 deaths reported worldwide; approximately 16,686 deaths in the U.S., as of Apr. 10, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

-----

World Population (approximate): 8,000,000,000
commonsense
Posts: 3298
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Coronavirus Craziness

Post by commonsense »

It’s Johns, not John.
Skepdick
Posts: 6833
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: John Hopkins 4-10-20

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:16 pm Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases

Confirmed (approximate): 1,631,310

Deaths (approximate): 98,401

Recovered (approximate): 365,722

-----

Infections

COVID-19: Approximately 1,612,646 cases worldwide; approximately 466,299 cases in the U.S. as of Apr. 10, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths

COVID-19: Approximately 96,787 deaths reported worldwide; approximately 16,686 deaths in the U.S., as of Apr. 10, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

-----

World Population (approximate): 8,000,000,000
If a picture is worth a thousand words, than this video is worth a few million.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1712761/

Keep lying to yourself that it's "just like the flu"
commonsense
Posts: 3298
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: John Hopkins 4-10-20

Post by commonsense »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:41 pm
henry quirk wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:16 pm Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases

Confirmed (approximate): 1,631,310

Deaths (approximate): 98,401

Recovered (approximate): 365,722

-----

Infections

COVID-19: Approximately 1,612,646 cases worldwide; approximately 466,299 cases in the U.S. as of Apr. 10, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths

COVID-19: Approximately 96,787 deaths reported worldwide; approximately 16,686 deaths in the U.S., as of Apr. 10, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

-----

World Population (approximate): 8,000,000,000
If a picture is worth a thousand words, than this video is worth a few million.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1712761/

Keep lying to yourself that it's "just like the flu"
Hospitalizations in NY are down now. Doesn’t that mean that we can stop worrying about Coronavirus?
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 10129
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Coronavirus Craziness

Post by henry quirk »

It’s Johns, not John.

noted

#

Keep lying to yourself that it's "just like the flu"

It's less than.

We're bein' hoodwinked.

#

Doesn’t that mean that we can stop worrying about Coronavirus?

Nope. We should worry, just not at the insane, unnecessary level we have been.
Post Reply