Eternal Recurrence Revisited

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Eternal Recurrence Revisited

Post by Philosophy Now »

Brandon Robshaw looks again at Nietzsche’s idea of the eternal repetition of life.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/137/Eternal_Recurrence_Revisited
Arising_uk

Re: Eternal Recurrence Revisited

Post by Arising_uk »

JoeB

Post by JoeB »

Is anyone of the mind that 'eternal recurrence' IS true?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

his point was as if, not as is...

-Imp
JoeB

Post by JoeB »

Sure, and on the face of it it's truth would be unknowable, and maybe further empty/ non-meaningful. BUT I do think something like it is true, and transparently so, given a certain Realism about time. So, any other takers?
JoeB

Post by JoeB »

Correction - 'its'.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Fuck living my life again.

I found Zeitgeist documentary interesting, I watched it some years ago - i think this is it:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqjkWNs ... verified=1

The point I want to make regarding the 'eternal recurrence' thing, is that this documentary points out that the themes of Christianity have be played out through many historical religions\myths throughout time up to the point of Christ.

Virgin giving birth to one who is later sacrificed. I can't remember much of the documentary, but I remember it was attempting to dismiss Christianity on that basis, that it was forged, not original story.

When a friend pointed this out to me in an attempt to also challenge my Christianity my reply was, maybe this IS the same entity repeating what he\she\it has does throughout time.

www.androcies.com
owl of Minerva

Post by owl of Minerva »

Nietzsche interpreted cyclical return as static. The ancients who were conversant with the heavens very likely perceived cyclical return as dynamic. If cyclical rotation is not limited to the same field but, due to a magnetic pull, is drawn into a different field throughout each cycle that would mean change and progress with each cycle. The video The Great Year (You Tube) explains cyclical return as a theory based on the procession of the equinoxes.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Eternal recurrence is dead set against entropy. Entropy is a physical truth, subject to the critical view against such truths; eternal recurrence is a mind game, subject to pondering, bewonderment, awe, but to no evidence.
owl of Minerva

Post by owl of Minerva »

Western astronomers have postulated an equinoctial cycle of our solar system based on a cosmic phenomenon know to astronomers as "Precession of the Equinox." The length is determined by the present rate of motion. According to other theories that rate varies at different stages of the cycle, which would give a different length.