Coronavirus Craziness

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Coronavirus Craziness

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

commonsense wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:36 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:20 am
commonsense wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:04 am

How do you know if it’s true?
Which part of it are you disputing, and why?
I don’t dispute any of it. I just don’t know if it’s true.
Then get off your arse and make an effort to verify it.

But it doesn't really matter what I post. You are one of those annoying fools who think they are being 'sceptical' when all they are being is lazy and stupid. Epidemioligists and virologists are studying this all over the world. They have to verify their findings. They can't just 'take a stab' and say 'this is how it happened' without supporting evidence to present to their peers.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 175442.htm

This is all entirely predictable and expected of course. Govts. will use the internet PC lobby to silence anyone who dares to mention wet markets and the guilt of China over all of this. It's all about money and power--as usual. The world needs Chinese money, and dirty, entirely avoidable viruses be damned. Apparently the wet market and peddling of endagered species is a multi billion dollar industry (no surprises there).
It will happen again in a few years, and next time it might be children and young people who are targeted instead of the old. It will make this endeavour look like a day at the park.

If you have a better explanation of how a bat virus managed to 'jump' to humans, where the first known cases 'just happened' to be located around a wet market where bats are killed and eaten in extremely stressful and unhygienic conditions then I would love to hear it.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Even the most dull witted and stupid person could work out that the greatest likelihood of a human virus mutating is going to happen inside a human host.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:52 am Even the most dull witted and stupid person could work out that the greatest likelihood of a human virus mutating is going to happen inside a human host.
U ain't that bright R ya.

A virus within a host tends to mutate to a lesser 'infringement' on the capacity for the host species to continue to survive. A virus that jumps species however, well fuk me who nose what might happen ....for a VERY long time.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:51 amThis is all entirely predictable and expected of course. Govts. will use the internet PC lobby to silence anyone who dares to mention wet markets and the guilt of China over all of this. It's all about money and power--as usual. The world needs Chinese money, and dirty, entirely avoidable viruses be damned. Apparently the wet market and peddling of endagered species is a multi billion dollar industry (no surprises there).
It will happen again in a few years, and next time it might be children and young people who are targeted instead of the old. It will make this endeavour look like a day at the park.

If you have a better explanation of how a bat virus managed to 'jump' to humans, where the first known cases 'just happened' to be located around a wet market where bats are killed and eaten in extremely stressful and unhygienic conditions then I would love to hear it.
Veg - I think you will get a kick out of this parody of the Chinese and their voracious appetite for the exotic!! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVABcl5qPA0
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:15 am
Sculptor wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:52 am Even the most dull witted and stupid person could work out that the greatest likelihood of a human virus mutating is going to happen inside a human host.

A virus within a host tends to mutate to a lesser 'infringement' on the capacity for the host species to continue to survive. A virus that jumps species however, well fuk me who nose what might happen ....for a VERY long time.
FFS.
Viral DNA is basically made from the same DNA as the host, since the way Viruses reproduce is to invade host cells. This is why zoonotic diseases are very rare, since DIFFERENT species tend to have DIFFERENT DNA - rather obviously.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:16 pm

FFS.
Viral DNA is basically made from the same DNA as the host, since the way Viruses reproduce is to invade host cells. This is why zoonotic diseases are very rare, since DIFFERENT species tend to have DIFFERENT DNA - rather obviously.
Mice etc... are made pretty much from the same DNA as humans. We carry viruses all the time, that don't bother us - those ones rarely mutate within our own DNA to create an issue for us. It's the ones in our brother mammalians that manage to interface to our own that create the havoc - and yes - mutate from there.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:51 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:20 am

Which part of it are you disputing, and why?

But it doesn't really matter what I post. You are one of those annoying fools who think they are being 'sceptical' when all they are being is lazy and stupid. Epidemioligists and virologists are studying this all over the world. They have to verify their findings. They can't just 'take a stab' and say 'this is how it happened' without supporting evidence to present to their peers.

This is all entirely predictable and expected of course. Govts. will use the internet PC lobby to silence anyone who dares to mention wet markets and the guilt of China over all of this. It's all about money and power--as usual. The world needs Chinese money, and dirty, entirely avoidable viruses be damned. Apparently the wet market and peddling of endagered species is a multi billion dollar industry (no surprises there).

A couple of things—

First of all, good post(s). I fully agree. I think the challenges to your vein of thought made you work for it.

I apologize for drifting into the realm of epistemology. In the real world, knowledge is tempered by confidence since there is nothing the knower can know beyond all doubt (save perhaps its own existence). I suppose an author’s curriculum vitae would maximize my confidence level. (ha!}

I am surprised that wet marketing is a multi billion dollar industry. It always seemed to me that these markets were simply the impoverished selling their goods to the impoverished. I realize now that exotic and endangered species must bring a lot of coin. I had not focused on the dangers at all in the past. Thank you for the enlightening information.

I enjoyed having a conversation with you devoid of epithets and profanities. With the exception of your calling me an annoying fool who is lazy and stupid, I appreciated your words greatly.
Last edited by commonsense on Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

commonsense wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:58 pm I apologize for drifting into the realm of epistemology. In the real world, knowledge is tempered by confidence since there is nothing the knower can know beyond all doubt (save perhaps its own existence). I suppose an author’s curriculum vitae would maximize my confidence level.
Real-world decision-making requires very little confidence/evidence - it depends on exploiting asymmetry to your advantage and doesn't require extensive data collection - all that stuff wastes valuable time.

Both hypothesis A and B might be false, but the consequences of falsities are not all equal - it's literally a case of "the lesser of two evils".

But one example I can offer - somebody insisted I provide statistical/historical data to back up my claim that "death rate has increased in Spain due to COVID".
I said: They are using ice rinks as mortuaries.
They said: That's anecdotal - show me historical data so we can establish a statistical baseline.
I said: The mortuary capacity is the statistical baseline.

To insist on Science, Rationality, Logic and Knowledge and extensive rigour when there's sufficient evidence to make the call is the mark of inexperience.
henry quirk

from John Hopkins

Post by henry quirk »

Infections

COVID-19: Approximately 1,026,974 cases worldwide; 245,573 cases in the U.S. as of Apr. 3, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths

COVID-19: Approximately 53,975 deaths reported worldwide; 6,058 deaths in the U.S., as of Apr. 3, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.
vegetariantaxidermy

commonsense wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:58 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:51 am

A couple of things—

First of all, good post(s). I fully agree. I think the challenges to your vein of thought made you work for it.

I apologize for drifting into the realm of epistemology. In the real world, knowledge is tempered by confidence since there is nothing the knower can know beyond all doubt (save perhaps its own existence). I suppose an author’s curriculum vitae would maximize my confidence level. (ha!}

I am surprised that wet marketing is a multi billion dollar industry. It always seemed to me that these markets were simply the impoverished selling their goods to the impoverished. I realize now that exotic and endangered species must bring a lot of coin. I had not focused on the dangers at all in the past. Thank you for the enlightening information.

I enjoyed having a conversation with you devoid of epithets and profanities. With the exception of your calling me an annoying fool who is lazy and stupid, I appreciated your words greatly.
That's refreshing. I was beginning to wonder if you were a 5G nutter...

The West will use PC shills like sculptor to silence criticism of China because China essentialy owns 'the West', thanks to Western greed. It's either 'cowtow' to China or war, essentially. This has certainly been a wake up call that countries should have been more careful about whom they were selling their assets to.

This commentator isn't someone I would normally listen to, but it's the message here that's important--not the messenger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaEJfBKh-7A
Lacewing

Coronavirus Craziness

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:15 pm COVID-19: Approximately 53,975 deaths reported worldwide; 6,058 deaths in the U.S., as of Apr. 3, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.
Whew! I guess we have nothing to worry about. All of those doctors and nurses who are run ragged trying to save people should just let it all slide. The rest of us should go congregate and spread it around some more. And then we'll just tell the sick they're on their own to pull through it... 'cause it's no worse than the flu. We'll still be ahead in the numbers... and that's all there is to consider. Is that right, Henry?
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: from John Hopkins

henry quirk wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:15 pm Infections

COVID-19: Approximately 1,026,974 cases worldwide; 245,573 cases in the U.S. as of Apr. 3, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths

COVID-19: Approximately 53,975 deaths reported worldwide; 6,058 deaths in the U.S., as of Apr. 3, 2020.

It's close to 7k in the US now. If you think of it rising exponentially that's a lot higher than flu, but you do have a massive population and you can't tell from the statistics how sick the people dying were prior to catching the virus. There are a lot of unanswered questions. For example if someone was near death with cancer but caught the virus, would it show as them dying of cancer or the virus?

Interesting statistics here from Italy.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/20 ... ssues.html
henry quirk

Lace

Post by henry quirk »

Do this...

Wash your hands, don't touch your pretty face, don't be so touchy-feely, consult your doc if you're worried, don't look to gov employees for solutions, don't listen to talkin' heads, and calm down.

...and you'll be fine.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:34 pm

FFS.
Mice etc... are made pretty much from the same DNA as humans. We carry viruses all the time, that don't bother us - those ones rarely mutate within our own DNA to create an issue for us. It's the ones in our brother mammalians that manage to interface to our own that create the havoc - and yes - mutate from there.
DUh.
Zoonitic diseases are rare. There is a very good reason for that.
The flu virus has been in continual mutation for centuries. With each passing year the vaccine has had to keep catching up with at least a couple of versions each year. These are all the result of humangenic mutations.
The common cold which is akin to the Covid types of virus mutate too much to keep track of. That is why people can get several colds every year, since the virus is seldom like enough for the last set of antibodies to be effective.
This pandemic was waiting to happen, and the Covid virus did not need the help of any animal to achieve the current lucky mutation.
Bugs reproduce in astronomical numbers with massive potential for mutation. Most of these mutations fail; some offer a less virulent strain, but rarely the mutation causes a more virulent mutation.
This version has everything a virus could want, except that the fatality is higher than useful to the virus; but has asymptomatic infectivity and is very catching.
vegetariantaxidermy

Sculptor wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:59 pm
attofishpi wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:34 pm

FFS.
DUh.
Zoonitic diseases are rare. There is a very good reason for that.
The flu virus has been in continual mutation for centuries. With each passing year the vaccine has had to keep catching up with at least a couple of versions each year. These are all the result of humangenic mutations.
The common cold which is akin to the Covid types of virus mutate too much to keep track of. That is why people can get several colds every year, since the virus is seldom like enough for the last set of antibodies to be effective.
This pandemic was waiting to happen, and the Covid virus did not need the help of any animal to achieve the current lucky mutation.
Bugs reproduce in astronomical numbers with massive potential for mutation. Most of these mutations fail; some offer a less virulent strain, but rarely the mutation causes a more virulent mutation.
This version has everything a virus could want, except that the fatality is higher than useful to the virus; but has asymptomatic infectivity and is very catching.
So now you are a virologist? Gee, you are really determined to protect the Chinese wet markets and govt. from any blame whatsover. What the fuck is wrong with you? Do you have a share in those markets or something, or do you need some pangolin scales for your impotence?
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.