Coronavirus Craziness

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Re: Coronavirus Craziness

Post by henry quirk »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:35 am
attofishpi wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:18 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:01 am I just hope Henry's right...
No he isn't.
He's never right.
Evidence, please.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:22 pm He's never right.
attofishpi wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:39 pm Well that may be the case, but you are still on par with Henry in my book. :twisted:
Sculptor wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:22 pm You are on your own personal cloud.
attofishpi wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:39 pm Sculptor old chap. I have no idea wot U R talking about - please do clarify so that I may own U.
You don't own anything...not even your own mind. You are a delusional nutjob sitting on a cloud picking words apart as if that's profound, and Henry's never right, he just thinks he is. It's all on display in this forum.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Lacewing wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:34 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:39 pm Well that may be the case, but you are still on par with Henry in my book. :twisted:
attofishpi wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:39 pm Sculptor old chap. I have no idea wot U R talking about - please do clarify so that I may own U.
You don't own anything...not even your own mind. You are a delusional nutjob sitting on a cloud picking words apart as if that's profound, and Henry's never right, he just thinks he is. It's all on display in this forum.
Lacewing wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:46 pm
commonsense wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:42 pm You do realize that this is the Lounge, don’t you?
What difference does that make? Are original and evolving thoughts not expected here?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm
henry quirk wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:52 pm
Lacewing wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:46 pm
What difference does that make? Are original and evolving thoughts not expected here?
please: share your original and evolving thoughts on carona virus
At the moment, I'm inspired to point out the absurdities already here for a good laugh. But yes, I do have some new views about the virus this morning, based on communication I've been receiving from multiple people, and I will likely post that later today or tomorrow when I feel like switching to that channel. It's just hard to resist responding to you and Veg and all the self-entitled noise you make sometimes. Your views are limited, but you talk as if you've got it all figured out. Just comically foolish, that's all.
still waitin' on all those original and evolving thoughts
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:03 pm still waitin' on all those original and evolving thoughts
I'm busy at work, Henry. I'll post something when I get a break. You're going to poo-poo them anyway, so don't stand around waiting on something you don't really care about.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Love it!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Lacewing wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:34 pm
You can't even work out how to embed quotes ...so...keep reassuring yourself about that bimbo.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:27 am You can't even work out how to embed quotes ...so...keep reassuring yourself about that bimbo.
I embed quotes all the time. I did it the way I did it this time on purpose to more clearly show the flow of conversation. You're an idiot.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

The Coronavirus could be part of a broader natural "correctional" process to regulate and transform what has fallen out of balance with humankind. If we consider how everything in life is naturally and innately connected, and how nature (at all sorts of levels) responds to threat and imbalance and disruption, then we might also be able to consider WHAT it might take to correct what has fallen out of balance in humankind and its impact on the rest of nature: it would take something bringing us to our knees GLOBALLY. Not isolated earthquakes or tornadoes or heat waves... but a global pandemic that affects every system we rely on as humans. It's hard to imagine something more perfect than what is happening right now to STOP US in our tracks. And by stopping our "rather small and self-absorbed" methodical, patterned behavior and thinking for awhile, we just might see more that is beyond it. Some surely will; some likely won't.

I spoke with an elderly neighbor today who is in complete denial about what is going on, and he cannot fathom any disruption to the way of life he is accustomed to. He just kept repeating over and over, trance-like, "the stores HAVE TO stay open with food or else we'll all starve to death". It was completely unfathomable to consider any other dynamic that could enter reality. Civilizations have been wiped out before, and yet we somehow think that our reality is so unique and permanent? It's interesting to notice the capability and power of a human mind to insist on a reality that disregards so much to the contrary. We are amazing and creative creatures... and very blind and foolish and head-strong in a lot of ways.

Survival depends on flexibility and adaptability. The rigid don't transition well. Denying a broader proven reality does nothing to eliminate it -- it only makes one more susceptible to perishing from their own refusal to expand and flow with what is beyond themselves. I think this experience could be a major transition for humankind. Imagine after being locked down and disrupted for 2-4 months or more, how joyful it will feel to move about and gather with people again. How privileged we will feel from all of the luxuries we enjoy. This could be a real eye-opener on lots of levels -- including the realization of how connected and dependent we are with so many systems -- and how crucial it is to be mindful NOT complacent. Also, how fragile the network of life can be -- and therefore, how beautiful to get to experience it at all.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

It's not even particularly deadly. It's the hysteria and border closures that are far more likely to end our civilisation.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:54 am It's not even particularly deadly. It's the hysteria and border closures that are far more likely to end our civilisation.
Ok. So this is the way it should have been played.
OLD people isolate - deliver food whatever.

The rest of the world kick on. But no - the economy is fucked now.
vegetariantaxidermy

attofishpi wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:26 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:54 am It's not even particularly deadly. It's the hysteria and border closures that are far more likely to end our civilisation.
Ok. So this is the way it should have been played.
OLD people isolate - deliver food whatever.

The rest of the world kick on. But no - the economy is fucked now.
Totally agree. FFS. Old people can easily die of a cold.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

I'm from England, but I was watching Donald Trump address the coronavirus issue during a daily press conference yesterday. And I was surprised to hear him call the Coronavirus by another term...he called it the (China virus)
Then a woman press reporter seemed to heckle at him as he was leaving the speech ..she called out to his back... ''do you think it's ok to call it that'' ? ....but he carried on walking away, and never turned around to answer her. His whole demeaner appear to be totally robotic.

Another person asked him if he was being racist by calling it the China virus, and he replied by saying a firm no. So then he was asked why call it that then, to which he replied...''because it came from China that's why''

Trump's whole demeaner seemed very uneasy, it's as if he is extremely pissed at China as though he knows something that the general public do not..

It's all a bit weird, and I personally think there is something going on which cuts much deeper than what we are currently being fed by the general media. I personally think there is more to it than just this VIRUS infecting the entire population, I cannot be sure and can only guess as to what has caused this virus to activate now and why now...so whether it has been engineered by humans or whether it is totally natural, I personally will never know. But what I do get really suspicious about IS the total panic and hysteria it has caused and the way the whole world is heading for total lock-down. That kind of drastic action has never happened before in living memory.
And it's so strange that there is hardly any news coming from Russia of what is happening there or of how they are dealing with this crisis. And very little on what is really happening in China anymore, even though there was plenty of news in the earlier days before the rest of the world cottoned on to what what happening to China. It's almost like China dropped the bomb then retreated to watch it explode around the whole world. Kind of reminds me of that video game ...'' BomberMan''

Maybe it's the 5G globalists takeover of humanity. Where you think you are free, but you are not.

That's why it's a good time to get right with God right now...and you do that by dying before you die, and then living out the rest of eternity shining. :mrgreen:

vegetariantaxidermy

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:02 am I'm from England, but I was watching Donald Trump address the coronavirus issue during a daily press conference yesterday. And I was surprised to hear him call the Coronavirus by another term...he called it the (China virus)
Then a woman press reporter seemed to heckle at him as he was leaving the speech ..she called out to his back... ''do you think it's ok to call it that'' ? ....but he carried on walking away, and never turned around to answer her. His whole demeaner appear to be totally robotic.

Another person asked him if he was being racist by calling it the China virus, and he replied by saying a firm no. So then he was asked why call it that then, to which he replied...''because it came from China that's why''

Trump's whole demeaner seemed very uneasy, it's as if he is extremely pissed at China as though he knows something that the general public do not..

It's all a bit weird, and I personally think there is something going on which cuts much deeper than what we are currently being fed by the general media. I personally think there is more to it than just this VIRUS infecting the entire population, I cannot be sure and can only guess as to what has caused this virus to activate now and why now...so whether it has been engineered by humans or whether it is totally natural, I personally will never know. But what I do get really suspicious about IS the total panic and hysteria it has caused and the way the whole world is heading for total lock-down. That kind of drastic action has never happened before in living memory.
And it's so strange that there is hardly any news coming from Russia of what is happening there or of how they are dealing with this crisis. And very little on what is really happening in China anymore, even though there was plenty of news in the earlier days before the rest of the world cottoned on to what what happening to China. It's almost like China dropped the bomb then retreated to watch it explode around the whole world. Kind of reminds me of that video game ...'' BomberMan''

Maybe it's the 5G globalists takeover of humanity. Where you think you are free, but you are not.

That's why it's a good time to get right with God right now...and you do that by dying before you die, and then living out the rest of eternity shining. :mrgreen:

I'm inclined to agree and I hate conspiracy-theorists. Why the sudden worldwide concern by govts. for the elderly? Why risk the entire world economy and stability for a tiny portion of the population? Very old people can get a COLD and die from it. Why send populations into panic mode? Why not just instruct people on how to practice good hygience and tell the elderly to be careful? Why cancel events rather than just advising the elderly and people with weakened immune systems to avoid them? It makes no sense.
Many countries are totally dependent on tourism. To risk everything for something that isn't even particularly deadly is beyond weird.