Coronavirus Craziness

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: Coronavirus Craziness

Post by Skepdick »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:23 pm 'Experts' :lol: How sweet that you have so much faith in seers and wizards. You don't have to be a 'seer' to know what complete economic collapse will mean--even (or especially) for old people.
And yet you seem to think of yourself as a "seer and a wizard" by fear-mongering a "complete economic collapse".
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Skepdick wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:37 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:23 pm 'Experts' :lol: How sweet that you have so much faith in seers and wizards. You don't have to be a 'seer' to know what complete economic collapse will mean--even (or especially) for old people.
And yet you seem to think of yourself as a "seer and a wizard" by fear-mongering a "complete economic collapse".
How can it 'not' happen when countries are closing their borders and the supermarkets are emptying out already? People are losing their jobs. Businesses are closing. It's hardly being a 'seer' because it's happening already.
I just hope Henry's right and it will fizzle after a couple of months. There was none of this irrational hysteria with the swine flu pandemic of a few years back.
henry quirk

Re: "It simply makes no sense."

Post by henry quirk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:53 pm
henry quirk wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:34 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:15 pm

But isn't chaos and 'jungle law' what you have always hankered after? Ironically 'no control' inevitably becomes 'total control'.
I crave minarchy, not anarchy; what carona may be used for is not workin' toward minimal governance but to encourage anarchy which is the pretext to enact tyranny.
There is no such word and there is a good reason for that. It's a contradiction. An absurdity. You want a govt. but a govt. that only has power over the things that 'you' want it to. When you have a govt, ANY govt, you are giving them power over you. They make the laws. You could have referendums but you don't like that either, because people might vote for things 'you' don't like. This is why your utopia always comes across as bog standard anarchy.
Wrong.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night-watchman_state

As for the nature of gov: that depends entirely on those organizin' it, and their reasons for havin' one.

America, at the start, coulda had a monarchy. Instead, we chose a light confederation. Had we retained such a thing we'd have been damned close to the night watchman proxy I crave. For a variety of reasons confederation was traded in for constitutional republic, a lateral move invitin' an unhealthy degree of regulation and stratification. Even so, it's still a dramatic improvement over the variety of theocracies and tyrannies that have been the norm since shortly after proto-man fell out of the trees.

I'm bettin' the appetite and tolerance for large, directing, governance will continue to dwindle, even with sticks in the mud like youself sayin' 'no, it'll never work'.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:31 pm

I crave minarchy, not anarchy; what carona may be used for is not workin' toward minimal governance but to encourage anarchy which is the pretext to enact tyranny.
There is no such word and there is a good reason for that. It's a contradiction. An absurdity. You want a govt. but a govt. that only has power over the things that 'you' want it to. When you have a govt, ANY govt, you are giving them power over you. They make the laws. You could have referendums but you don't like that either, because people might vote for things 'you' don't like. This is why your utopia always comes across as bog standard anarchy.
Before attempting to characterize Henry according to his wants and likes, you should re-evaluate other posts that you’ve read about what Henry feels is good government. I am sure that either you or I have misread his thoughts on government. And I am sure it is you. Henry will have to settle this.

However, I would say that Henry favors a government with limited services such as fire, police and military. As I read what he writes, I’d say that Henry favors having only a law that in essence prohibits interfering in any way with another person’s life or possessions.

I am not surprised that Henry has coined the word ‘minarchy’ to stand for minimal rule or something similar.
You have a good handle on my thinkin'... 👍🏻

As for veg: not worth more than a minimal effort, which I've put forth. She'll nay-say, piss on America in the process, and generally react in the manner we've all come to know and love.

It's your time to waste, Robot Overlord, so engage her as you like, but I suggest you don't.
vegetariantaxidermy

henry quirk wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:02 am

Wrong.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night-watchman_state

As for the nature of gov: that depends entirely on those organizin' it, and their reasons for havin' one.

America, at the start, coulda had a monarchy. Instead, we chose a light confederation. Had we retained such a thing we'd have been damned close to the night watchman proxy I crave. For a variety of reasons confederation was traded in for constitutional republic, a lateral move invitin' an unhealthy degree of regulation and stratification. Even so, it's still a dramatic improvement over the variety of theocracies and tyrannies that have been the norm since shortly after proto-man fell out of the trees.

I'm bettin' the appetite and tolerance for large, directing, governance will continue to dwindle, even with sticks in the mud like youself sayin' 'no, it'll never work'.
Ok. I googled it and nothing came up. I thought it was a word you had made up.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:01 am I just hope Henry's right...
No he isn't.
vegetariantaxidermy

attofishpi wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:18 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:01 am I just hope Henry's right...
No he isn't.
You don't know that.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:46 am
No he isn't.
You don't know that.
No I don't, but if i was a gambling man I'd put my house on him being wrong.

I don't know...but I know your hope in Henry is wrong.
vegetariantaxidermy

attofishpi wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:53 am

No he isn't.
You don't know that.

Religious maniacs like to think about the end being nigh. It's one of their favourite wet dreams. Don'taskme is positively relishing it.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:49 am
attofishpi wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:53 am

You don't know that.

Religious maniacs like to think about the end being nigh. It's one of their favourite wet dreams. Don'taskme is positively relishing it.
So wot the fuk has that got to do wiv me?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

No he isn't.
He's never right.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:35 am
No he isn't.
He's never right.
Well that may be the case, but you are still on par with Henry in my book. :twisted:
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:39 pm

No he isn't.
He's never right.
Well that may be the case, but you are still on par with Henry in my book. :twisted:
You are on your own personal cloud.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:22 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:39 pm

He's never right.
You are on your own personal cloud.
Sculptor old chap. I have no idea wot U R talking about - please do clarify so that I may own U.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

No he isn't.
We'll see.