Is There Such a Thing as Too Different?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Is There Such a Thing as Too Different?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:19 pm
Sculptor wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:28 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:37 pm

Well, if he's mentally ill and symptomatic, then I would question whether he is capable of teaching properly until he is properly medicated so that he no longer thinks he's a female. I mean, what is he going to teach the kids if the class goes into the biology of human reproduction, that they can identify as any gender they want just out of whim?
NO mental illness is implied.
It's in the DSM 5 under the term "Gender Dysphoria".
Don't worry about Sculptor. He's in a wheel chair because he spent too much time bending over backwards trying to be Politically Correct and ended up breaking his back.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:04 am
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:06 pm But I suppose if he can demonstrate competency in teaching the material appropriately, then there is no legitimate reason to disqualify him from teaching.
Can't you just have a viewpoint and stick to it? You seem to 'swing' towards whoever has responded to you last :evil:
'
Well, I admit I don't have all the answers so I'm willing to acknowledge when someone makes a good point. But you make a good point also. :D
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Let's say a fresh outta school teacher applies for a position in your school. She's smart, lively, pleasant, and, across her forehead, she has tattooed FUCK YOU!.

You're the person who gets to hire/not hire: what do you do?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:26 am Let's say a fresh outta school teacher applies for a position in your school. She's smart, lively, pleasant, and, across her forehead, she has tattooed FUCK YOU!.

At first glance, I wouldn't hire her. I would assume that she would probably be trouble and the tattoo across her forehead would be inappropriate for as well as probably distracting to the class. I'd also say that she used poor judgment in getting that tattoo, which might be an indicator of her personality and how she might be further down the road as an employee.

I would be curious about what Sculptor would say, though. Would it be discrimination? Should we open the gate and let everyone and anyone teach, provided they know the material and are capable of teaching the assigned curriculum? Or should we discriminate against her?

And, is there any qualitative difference between someone who has something that offends our sensibilities on her forehead versus someone who may offend our sensibilities by not conforming to their appropriate gender?

Or for another poignant example, what about a swastika tattooed somewhere where it couldn't be hidden normally by clothing. Assume for a moment that the person with a swastika isn't even really a neo-nazi but is into fringe heavy metal or something and thinks swastikas are just really "badass". Do we let the person teach?

What say you, sculptor?

1. Would you hire the person with the "badass" swastika (all other things equal and she/he is competent at the material to be taught) or would you not?

Or

2. Is the case of the person with a swastika somehow substantively or qualitatively different from the person who seems to choose not to conform to their assigned gender?

Or

3. Is there some other difference or objection that I just haven't thought of?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

I think I tend to agree with you on a lot of things.

Something that just popped into my head: Although I think I'm usually open-minded about people being and expressing themselves in whatever way feels natural to them, I wonder about their OWN choices to impact other people with potentially confusing or weird circumstances. What might they be thinking about the effects of their actions, or are they even thinking about that? Is it moreso about them and their rights?

I've experienced a few LGBTQ people who seemed to have such a hair-trigger about their struggles and needs, that they failed to have compassion for others. Ultimately, I think we're all just the same kind of beings animating these bodies and taking on these roles/ideas, and there's no need for so much division. I can understand the pendulum swinging to extremes as a method of balance, though. Just like the "Me Too" movement, long suppressed injustices finally explode through the surface.

Children are very flexible and resilient... and each generation seems to be adapted to a path that is broader than those before. Perhaps most children wouldn't think anything of a bearded lady. Perhaps the bearded lady is a demonstration to them of a larger Universe of potential, in so many ways.

If I had a child, I would let them have a bearded lady teacher. :D I would have already been teaching them that there are many potentials in this world, and I would do my best to inspire/empower them to be clear about their own path and choices, regardless of anyone else's beliefs/ideas.
vegetariantaxidermy

Lacewing wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:39 am

Who would have thought??
vegetariantaxidermy

Children are very flexible and resilient...
Really?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:41 am
Really?
Do you have anything of value to say? Or are you just skittering across your web as usual, at the sign of the slightest movement that gets your attention?
vegetariantaxidermy

Lacewing wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:10 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:41 am
Really?
Do you have anything of value to say? Or are you just skittering across your web as usual, at the sign of the slightest movement that gets your attention?
Do you have any evidence to back up your claim that children are 'flexible and resilient'? Malleable and easily manipulated is not the same thing.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:21 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:41 am Really?
Do you have any evidence to back up your claim that children are 'flexible and resilient'? Malleable and easily manipulated is not the same thing.
Personal experience. Life experience. Being around children. Talking with friends who are teachers. Talking with people who had terrible childhoods. I'm guessing this won't satisfy you, so why don't you share why you think it's such a questionable statement?
vegetariantaxidermy

Lacewing wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:28 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:21 am
Personal experience. Life experience. Being around children. Talking with friends who are teachers. Talking with people who had terrible childhoods. I'm guessing this won't satisfy you, so why don't you share why you think it's such a questionable statement?
Are you saying that it's ok for children to have a bearded transexual, male lesbian teacher because they are resilient and flexible anyway? Why do they need to be 'resilient'?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:39 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:21 am Do you have any evidence to back up your claim that children are 'flexible and resilient'? Malleable and easily manipulated is not the same thing.
Are you saying that it's ok for children to have a bearded transexual, male lesbian teacher because they are resilient and flexible anyway? Why do they need to be 'resilient'?
You seem to think you can just fire questions at me, while offering little yourself and ignoring the question I asked you -- so I'm not interested in talking with you further.
vegetariantaxidermy

Lacewing wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:57 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:39 am
You seem to think you can just fire questions at me, while offering little yourself and ignoring the question I asked you -- so I'm not interested in talking with you further.
How surprising. It's not as if you always give the same 'answer' when you are backed into a corner :lol:
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Something that just popped into my head: Although I think I'm usually open-minded about people being and expressing themselves in whatever way feels natural to them, I wonder about their OWN choices to impact other people with potentially confusing or weird circumstances. What might they be thinking about the effects of their actions, or are they even thinking about that? Is it moreso about them and their rights?

I've experienced a few LGBTQ people who seemed to have such a hair-trigger about their struggles and needs, that they failed to have compassion for others. Ultimately, I think we're all just the same kind of beings animating these bodies and taking on these roles/ideas, and there's no need for so much division. I can understand the pendulum swinging to extremes as a method of balance, though. Just like the "Me Too" movement, long suppressed injustices finally explode through the surface.

Children are very flexible and resilient... and each generation seems to be adapted to a path that is broader than those before. Perhaps most children wouldn't think anything of a bearded lady. Perhaps the bearded lady is a demonstration to them of a larger Universe of potential, in so many ways.

If I had a child, I would let them have a bearded lady teacher. :D I would have already been teaching them that there are many potentials in this world, and I would do my best to inspire/empower them to be clear about their own path and choices, regardless of anyone else's beliefs/ideas.
I used to be pretty easy going and "open-minded" but it seems to me now that our society is getting a bit carried away with all this stuff. At what point are we going to draw a line? What about pedophiles? Are they an oppressed group? Will they someday demand that we let them "out of the closet" so that they can express themselves more freely? I mean, hey, it was somewhat customary among the ancient Greeks (in their society) for grown men to engage in sexual relations with young boys. Obviously, that proves that the taboo on sexual relations between men and boys is simply a "social construct" and therefore the rest of us are simply uptight about it, right?

I mean, my tendency is to think that if a man identifies as being a female, then he needs to suck it up, put on his adult man pants and acknowledge that he is not and carry on with life as a male citizen and act as a male citizen should act. I take meds for bipolar disorder. When I'm off my meds I drive my mother and father insane. I don't expect my mother and father to just suck it up and allow me to express myself as a bipolar individual. But believe me, I have tried to go off my meds at times because they tend to dull my sensations and I feel relatively lifeless on them sometimes. But I have to be on them to function normally in society. That's, unfortunately, the way it is and the way it has to be. In a sense, it's my duty to my society to take my meds so that others don't have to chase me with a straight jacket.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

henry quirk wrote:Let's say a fresh outta school teacher applies for a position in your school. She's smart, lively, pleasant, and, across her forehead, she has tattooed FUCK YOU!.

Gary Childress wrote:At first glance, I wouldn't hire her. I would assume that she would probably be trouble and the tattoo across her forehead would be inappropriate for as well as probably distracting to the class. I'd also say that she used poor judgment in getting that tattoo, which might be an indicator of her personality
There you go, Gary. You got it right.

Your reasoning is applicable to the beard-wearin' trannie lesbo as well.