Is There Such a Thing as Too Different?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Re: Is There Such a Thing as Too Different?

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:06 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:57 pm The fact is that he's mentally ill, and therefore shouldn't be teaching children.
I've got to agree with that. Anybody who has departed reality to his degree, and who clearly has no stable sexual awareness of himself as well, should not be teaching children. They are important -- he, much less so. And, in any case, his real needs will not be met by us pretending he's okay.
That seems like a good point also.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:06 pm

So for example, should I go off my meds and become manic and everyone else around me should accept me for who I am and not want me to be on meds?
You've hit the nail on the head here. They expect everyone else to pander to THEM, and change for THEM. This is why they want to get into the minds of children, because adults aren't quite so easily fooled and manipulated.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:47 pm So have you ANY valid objections, other than your fear of the other?
Well, if he's mentally ill and symptomatic, then I would question whether he is capable of teaching properly until he is properly medicated so that he no longer thinks he's a female. I mean, what is he going to teach the kids if the class goes into the biology of human reproduction, that they can identify as any gender they want just out of whim?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:06 pm So for example, should I go off my meds and become manic and everyone else around me should accept me for who I am and not want me to be on meds?
That does happen, of course, Gary. Some sufferers say, "I don't feel like myself when I'm on meds," or "I feel numb, and I miss the highs." So they opt not to take the meds. I've known such. Usually, though, that doesn't work out well -- for them, or for anybody else.

I think there are conditions we overcome, and conditions we manage. That is, nobody can reset brain chemistry. It sometimes can be reset, but often by accident, not by design; and not in all cases, of course. So some conditions must be managed. A good example would be alcoholics; they're never not-alcoholic after they've reprogrammed their brains to be addicted to alcohol. But they can manage. They can be non-drinking, recovering alcoholics, with productive and valuable lives. But they'll spend their whole lives being careful.

One of my old friends cannot even smell grape juice. If he does, he's terrified he'll revert. That being said, he's been bone dry for thirty years or so now, and is doing very, very well...married, employed, functional and developing as a human being all the time.

Would that we could free them from their propensity for addictive behaviour once and for all. But we cannot. So the best we can do is help them and support them in making the right moves to manage their condition.

And sometimes, that's just the best there is.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:49 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:06 pm So for example, should I go off my meds and become manic and everyone else around me should accept me for who I am and not want me to be on meds?
That does happen, of course, Gary. Some sufferers say, "I don't feel like myself when I'm on meds," or "I feel numb, and I miss the highs." So they opt not to take the meds. I've known such. Usually, though, that doesn't work out well -- for them, or for anybody else.

I think there are conditions we overcome, and conditions we manage. That is, nobody can reset brain chemistry. It sometimes can be reset, but often by accident, not by design; and not in all cases, of course. So some conditions must be managed. A good example would be alcoholics; they're never not-alcoholic after they've reprogrammed their brains to be addicted to alcohol. But they can manage. They can be non-drinking, recovering alcoholics, with productive and valuable lives. But they'll spend their whole lives being careful.

One of my old friends cannot even smell grape juice. If he does, he's terrified he'll revert. That being said, he's been bone dry for thirty years or so now, and is doing very, very well...married, employed, functional and developing as a human being all the time.

Would that we could free them from their propensity for addictive behaviour once and for all. But we cannot. So the best we can do is help them and support them in making the right moves to manage their condition.

And sometimes, that's just the best there is.
Yes. Unfortunately, mental illness is a life long affliction. I have found that out many times the hard way, trying to go off meds in the past. I stay on them now.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:08 pm Yes. Unfortunately, mental illness is a life long affliction. I have found that out many times the hard way, trying to go off meds in the past. I stay on them now.
It's a crappy compromise, isn't it? Sorry about that. Some people have a harder lot in life. We should do what we can do to support those who are trying to deal with their challenges.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:12 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:08 pm Yes. Unfortunately, mental illness is a life long affliction. I have found that out many times the hard way, trying to go off meds in the past. I stay on them now.
It's a crappy compromise, isn't it? Sorry about that. Some people have a harder lot in life. We should do what we can do to support those who are trying to deal with their challenges.
It's not the end of the world. I'm still alive. I'm thankful for that. It just took some getting used to.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:31 pm It's not the end of the world. I'm still alive. I'm thankful for that. It just took some getting used to.
Well, I hope that over all, things are better.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:42 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:31 pm It's not the end of the world. I'm still alive. I'm thankful for that. It just took some getting used to.
Well, I hope that over all, things are better.
Thank you. They are. No complaints here at the moment.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:37 pm
Sculptor wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:47 pm So have you ANY valid objections, other than your fear of the other?
Well, if he's mentally ill and symptomatic, then I would question whether he is capable of teaching properly until he is properly medicated so that he no longer thinks he's a female. I mean, what is he going to teach the kids if the class goes into the biology of human reproduction, that they can identify as any gender they want just out of whim?
You are now making up stuff.
None of this is at issue.
I quote from the top of the thread; "transsexual male (with a beard even) who identifies as a female lesbian."
NO mental illness is implied.
You seem to be confusing biological sex with gender.
vegetariantaxidermy

Of course, it's completely normal for a man to 'identify' himself as a bearded woman who 'just happens' to be a lesbian.

And btw, isn't lesbianism about sex, NOT gender? Hmmm?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:28 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:37 pm
NO mental illness is implied.
It's in the DSM 5 under the term "Gender Dysphoria".
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

But I suppose if he can demonstrate competency in teaching the material appropriately, then there is no legitimate reason to disqualify him from teaching.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Although, for all we know at this point, gender dysphoria could be a fad, given the enormous rise in the number of cases that are now being reported since the movement for their acceptance gained traction. I wonder if that's a good thing or if we are ultimately doing a disservice to the kids by confusing them even more than they already are about life.
vegetariantaxidermy

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:06 pm But I suppose if he can demonstrate competency in teaching the material appropriately, then there is no legitimate reason to disqualify him from teaching.
Can't you just have a viewpoint and stick to it? You seem to 'swing' towards whoever has responded to you last :evil:
'