I'm a Theist

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: I'm a Theist

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:05 pm
Age wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:49 am
bahman wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:55 am
That is contrary (bold part).
But it is NOT contrary AT ALL. It was written in the specific what for that very specific reason.

Also, if you are going to claim some thing to be true, then I suggest you have first some actual evidence or proof BEFORE you express your claim.

Now, you CLAIM that the bold part is contrary, so what EVIDENCE or PROOF do you have for this CLAIM?

To CLAIM as you have here is to SHOW with PROOF just how CLOSED 'you' really ARE, "bahman".
Do you believe in the eternal past?
No.
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:39 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:34 pm
Ansiktsburk wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:07 am You’re playing with fire here, guys. Be careful. I am serious.
That's a curious remark.

What do you mean, A.?
mebbe A is warning us of a *basilisk

well, I've stared into the gorgon's face

all I saw was a crone with wild hair

*https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLIT_(short_story)
S
Expected reactions like this. What i mean is deep existential matters that can shake the fundamentals of existence itsef. Fear on a level unfathomable. Some thoughts should be avoided.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Ansiktsburk wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:06 pm
That's a curious remark.

What do you mean, A.?
Expected reactions like this. What i mean is deep existential matters that can shake the fundamentals of existence itsef. Fear on a level unfathomable. Some thoughts should be avoided.
Not a "reaction," A. Just a "question." I genuinely cannot see what you're fearing there.

Just as we explore new lands by pushing the boundaries of our geography, so too we learn by pushing the boundaries of our current knowledge. If we ever stop asking questions, fearing something is simply "unfathomable," then we're like sailors who won't go sailing for fear of falling off the edge of the globe. Then learning ends.

Sail on, say I.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

That's a curious remark.

What do you mean, A.?

S
can't disagree more...lay 'em all on the table...examine 'em...find the diamonds, toss the dross
bahman

Re: "his paradox is resolved"

Post by bahman »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:13 am You can't resolve nonsense; you dismantle then discard it.

And, btw: space is analog, not digital...seamless, smooth (mebbe a little lumpy here and there); time is a measure, not a substance or dimension.
Of course, time is a substance and also a dimension. It curves so it is a dimension. You need the energy/mass to cause it to bend therefore it is a substance.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:00 am
bahman wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:09 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:36 pm
You mean like Xeno thought they were? :wink:
You are talking about his paradox? If yes, his paradox is resolved.
But the resolution defeats your supposition that a line of motion can be rightly represented as merely discrete...as nothing but a set of points and intervals.
I cannot follow you here. Could you please elaborate?
attofishpi

Re: "his paradox is resolved"

Post by attofishpi »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:13 amAnd, btw: space is analog, not digital...seamless, smooth (mebbe a little lumpy here and there); time is a measure, not a substance or dimension.
Space must be binary\digital at its most infinitesimally finite scale - a point where there is either an event or there isn't.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

bahman wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:40 am I cannot follow you here. Could you please elaborate?
Xeno treated zero as if it were a real point, and motion as if it were a series of separate lines between points. And so long as one thinks of the situation that way, it's impossible not to think of motion as impossible. But motion IS possible, so Xeno was flummoxed. But his problem was in his basic supposition that motion could be described as segmented action.

Time is not what you are supposing it is. That's why it looks to you as if there had to be a time before time existed. But even put that way, it's an absurd conclusion, you can see. So like Xeno, your problem is in your supposition.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:00 am
bahman wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:40 am I cannot follow you here. Could you please elaborate?
Xeno treated zero as if it were a real point, and motion as if it were a series of separate lines between points. And so long as one thinks of the situation that way, it's impossible not to think of motion as impossible. But motion IS possible, so Xeno was flummoxed. But his problem was in his basic supposition that motion could be described as segmented action.

Time is not what you are supposing it is. That's why it looks to you as if there had to be a time before time existed. But even put that way, it's an absurd conclusion, you can see. So like Xeno, your problem is in your supposition.
There is no paradox. Time is discrete to the binary point I mention above.
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:20 pm

S
can't disagree more...lay 'em all on the table...examine 'em...find the diamonds, toss the dross
When you find the snakes among the diamonds they will bite you. And with a poison that cannot be sucked out. And in that area, therea are snakes.
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:39 pm
That's a curious remark.

What do you mean, A.?
Not a "reaction," A. Just a "question." I genuinely cannot see what you're fearing there.

Just as we explore new lands by pushing the boundaries of our geography, so too we learn by pushing the boundaries of our current knowledge. If we ever stop asking questions, fearing something is simply "unfathomable," then we're like sailors who won't go sailing for fear of falling off the edge of the globe. Then learning ends.

Sail on, say I.
Remember the forbidden fruit in the garden of Eden. From the tree of knowledge. That is the story that makes most sense to me in the bible. As long as it is “exploring the world”, thats all very well, but in the area where the guys were digging, there are thoughts that you definitely do not want to find. Been there, done that.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Ansiktsburk wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:20 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:39 pm

Sail on, say I.
Remember the forbidden fruit in the garden of Eden. From the tree of knowledge. That is the story that makes most sense to me in the bible. As long as it is “exploring the world”, thats all very well, but in the area where the guys were digging, there are thoughts that you definitely do not want to find. Been there, done that.
Ah, so you have eaten from the Tree of Know_Ledge :twisted:
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

Yep. And it has done me no good.

Jesus said something about that you have to accept heaven like a child. Makes perfect sense to me.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Ansiktsburk wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:37 pm Yep. And it has done me no good.

Jesus said something about that you have to accept heaven like a child. Makes perfect sense to me.
You didn't learn from it? Y r u not Wiser?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Ansiktsburk wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:37 pmJesus said something about that you have to accept heaven like a child. Makes perfect sense to me.
Not sure how I missed this part of the quote.

I'm certain it does not make perfect sense to you. It makes a lot of sense to me.

Would you like to explain how you make sense of this statement from Christ?