A Theory of Pretty Much Everything

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: A Theory of Pretty Much Everything

Post by Dontaskme »

SteveKlinko wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:30 pm 5G does not have a Volition capability built in. Even if 5G is Conscious, it can only Watch, it will not be able to Do anything.
Niether does the ''human being'' have a Volition capability built in. You are refering to some KNOWN CONCEPTS of Consciousness.

Man / Woman / Creature or whatever other vessel body you can think of is NOT the DOER.

5G doesn't have consciousness, it's a known concept of Consciousness.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Arising_uk wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:23 amYou really need to make your mind up
Do you make the mind up or does the mind make you up?

Can you locate the exact location of the mind and physically touch it, or see it?

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dontaskme wrote: Do you make the mind up or does the mind make you up?
Body comes first.
Can you locate the exact location of the mind and physically touch it, or see it?
Open your arms really wide then curl them in and give yourself a big hug.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Arising_uk wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:52 am
Dontaskme wrote: Do you make the mind up or does the mind make you up?
Body comes first.
Open your arms really wide then curl them in and give yourself a big hug.
Ok so now you are saying the body is the mind.

When you say ''why don't you make up your mind''...shouldn't you be saying ''why can't you make up your body?''

Why use the word ''mind'' at all?

.. if the body is first, then why not just say why can't you make up your body?

Who or what is this other body asking itself to make up the body if the body already exists?

SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:15 am
SteveKlinko wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:30 pm 5G does not have a Volition capability built in. Even if 5G is Conscious, it can only Watch, it will not be able to Do anything.
Niether does the ''human being'' have a Volition capability built in. You are refering to some KNOWN CONCEPTS of Consciousness.

Man / Woman / Creature or whatever other vessel body you can think of is NOT the DOER.

5G doesn't have consciousness, it's a known concept of Consciousness.

Of course 5G doesn't have Consciousness. It must Connect to Consciousness and those kinds of Electronic Connections have not been designed yet. It's never the particular new Technology itself, unless that new Technology has Volitional control. Believe me when I tell you that there is no Volitional Control built into 5G. No designer knows how to do that and the designers aren't even trying to do that. Therefore 5G cannot Do anything.

Post by Age »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:15 am
Arising_uk wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:23 amYou really need to make your mind up
Do you make the mind up or does the mind make you up?
Do 'you' make the mind up or does the mind make 'you' up, "dontaskme"?

Either way, what is this "mind" thing, which 'you' go on about quite frequently?
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:15 amCan you locate the exact location of the mind and physically touch it, or see it?

I can locate the EXACT location of the Mind.

And I can SEE the Mind.

Can 'you'?

If no, then WHY NOT?

If yes, then what are thee Answers to your OWN questions here?
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Age wrote:
surreptitiuous57
This is now the fourth time in only two days that you have managed to misspell my name
It is surreptitious not surreptitiuous so please try not to make this mistake again if you can
My name appears in every post of mine you quote so you can always check if you are unsure

Post by Age »

surreptitious57 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:45 pm
Age wrote:
surreptitiuous57
This is now the fourth time in only two days that you have managed to misspell my name
It is surreptitious not surreptitiuous so please try not to make this mistake again if you can
My name appears in every post of mine you quote so you can always check if you are unsure
But I do NOT care if one letter out of one name is missing, IF the name is NOT getting misinterpreted, taken out of context, nor misunderstood, which it would NOT. Obviously that name refers to 'you', the human being, who I am responding to.

Why is it so important, to you, that I do spell that label ABSOLUTELY CORRECTLY?

Can you NOT understand what that misspelled name is referring to exactly?

Yes I could check, but it is obviously of no REAL importance, so there is NO REAL issue here.

Do 'you' check absolutely EVERY thing when 'you' attempt to copy the words I write? You do, after all, NOT copy EXACTLY what I write, which does allow any one reading your incorrect copy, of my EXACT words, so much more easier for them to also take what I say out of context, misunderstood, AND misinterpreted, just like 'you' do. And, to make this worse is 'your' INCORRECT interpretation only makes it far easier for the readers to even further take out of context and misunderstand what I actually meant.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dontaskme wrote:Ok so now you are saying the body is the mind. ...
Nope, I'm saying no body no mind.
When you say ''why don't you make up your mind''...shouldn't you be saying ''why can't you make up your body?''

The word 'mind' refers to the experience of being a body with self awareness or self-consciousness if you prefer. Specifically it refers to the intellect or our ability to reason.

Who or what is this other body asking itself to make up the body if the body already exists?
See above.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Arising_uk wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:51 pm
Dontaskme wrote:Ok so now you are saying the body is the mind. ...
Nope, I'm saying no body no mind.

The word 'mind' refers to the experience of being a body with self awareness or self-consciousness if you prefer. Specifically it refers to the intellect or our ability to reason.

See above.
So are you saying it is the ''mind'' that knows the experience of being a body?

And you say the body came first, so the mind aka the 'knowing experience of being a body' must have come from the body, is that right?

But then, does the mind know how it knows it's having the experience of being a body? does the mind know how or why that experience of being a body disappears at the death of that body, and does it know how it reappears again in a new body?

Can the mind know how or what or why it is ?

If NOT, then all known knowledge must be a pretence, right?

surreptitious57

Mind is a function of the brain and the brain is part of the body . So therefore neither could have come first because both are connected to each
other . The mind knows it is in the body but is how ever classed as being separate from it . This is because of the dichotomy between the mental and the physical . I think this is false and that the mental is just the physical albeit on a more subtle level for everything is ultimately connected to everything else either directly or indirectly . True separation does not actually exist in physical reality
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dontaskme wrote:
So are you saying it is the ''mind'' that knows the experience of being a body? ...
Nope, I'm saying the word "mind" is how we refer to the experience of being a self-aware or self-conscious body, specifically the experience of being a reasoning intellect.
And you say the body came first, so the mind aka the 'knowing experience of being a body' must have come from the body, is that right?
For a supposed 'non-dualist' you appear to really want there to be a separate 'mind'? But yes, 'mind' is the word we apply to the experience of being a self-aware or self-conscious body.
But then, does the mind know how it knows it's having the experience of being a body? ...
By the experience of being a self-aware or self-conscious body.
does the mind know how or why that experience of being a body disappears at the death of that body, ...
Yes, it's because the body is dead so there is no 'mind' anymore.
and does it know how it reappears again in a new body?
It doesn't reappear in a new body.
Can the mind know how or what or why it is ?
Yes, but you'd have to explain what you understand or would accept by 'know how', 'what' and 'why'?
If NOT, then all known knowledge must be a pretence, right?
You'd have to explain what you understand by 'knowledge' here?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

surreptitious57 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:19 am Mind is a function of the brain and the brain is part of the body . So therefore neither could have come first because both are connected to each
other . The mind knows it is in the body but is how ever classed as being separate from it . This is because of the dichotomy between the mental and the physical . I think this is false and that the mental is just the physical albeit on a more subtle level for everything is ultimately connected to everything else either directly or indirectly . True separation does not actually exist in physical reality
I agree with how you've explained this.

It's like what came first the chicken or the egg...and the answer is neither come first in that they both arise together in the same instant, namely NOW

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Arising_uk wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:38 am Nope, I'm saying the word "mind" is how we refer to the experience of being a self-aware or self-conscious body, specifically the experience of being a reasoning intellect.
So here you are saying it is the WORD that knows the experience of being a self aware entity....is that what you mean?

I'll answer all your other responses once we've sorted this one out first.

surreptitious57

Dontaskme wrote:
what came first the chicken or the egg ... and the answer is neither come first in that they both arise together in the same instant namely NOW
Unlike the mind and body the egg and chicken can actually be separated from each other and the egg came before the chicken
The simpler an organism is then the earlier it comes into existence where it can exist in complete isolation from anything else
The mind cannot exist without the brain in the same way that the egg can exist without the chicken so the analogy is not true