Can a man really turn into a woman?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Can a man really turn into a woman?

Gender is fluid, mutable, interchangeable, just a social construct (yes).
22%
Gender is fixed, immutable, not subject to change, sumthin' concretely intrinsic to the person (no).
78%

Total votes: 9

SpheresOfBalance

Re: Can a man really turn into a woman?

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:35 pm
SpheresOfBalance wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:31 pm It all depends on what criterion one decides is the determining factor to be considered either male or female. Which is to ask, "is it physical, mental or both determinism?"
If being male/female is a real, objective, stable thing -- no matter what "factor" one pegs -- then one cannot simply move from one to the other without defying objective, stable reality.
Clearly you have no clue as to the point that I made! Is there a smart one among you? I'm waiting for a smart one that can actually think for a change, instead of simply bringing fear, bigotry and age old ignorance to the table!

If being male/female is not an objective, stable thing, but is imaginary, socially-constructed, subjective or otherwise less than objectively real, then one can move from one to the other completely fluidly, just by changing one's mind, one's society's opinion, or one's subjectivity -- but then, there is no NEED to move at all, because there's really no difference. Both are just imaginary constructs. There is no objective, stable reality either to the gender one is leaving or the one at which one hopes to arrive.

Either way, transgenderism's an illusion. Or more precisely, a delusion.
'I only know, that I know nothing.'
--Socrates-- The father of philosophy, thus all science!
henry quirk

no need to respond, sob, cuz i'm just bein' rhetorical

Post by henry quirk »

I'm waiting for a smart one that can actually think for a change, instead of simply bringing fear, bigotry and age old ignorance to the table!
Translation: 'I'm waiting for someone to agree with me.'
SpheresOfBalance

Re: no need to respond, sob, cuz i'm just bein' rhetorical

henry quirk wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:16 pm
I'm waiting for a smart one that can actually think for a change, instead of simply bringing fear, bigotry and age old ignorance to the table!
Translation: 'I'm waiting for someone to agree with me.'
HQ, you're an idiot that doesn't want to pay your taxes, that carries a shotgun! Enough said! Your place in the intellectual hierarchy is clearly sub-par!

Pretty much I've always considered you a throwback to the Neanderthals, your avatar being a perfect choice! At least you've gotten that much correct!
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:31 pm It all depends on what criterion one decides is the determining factor to be considered either male or female. Which is to ask, "is it physical, mental or both determinism?"
If being male/female is a real, objective, stable thing -- no matter what "factor" one pegs -- then one cannot simply move from one to the other without defying objective, stable reality.
Clearly you have no clue as to the point that I made! Is there a smart one among you? I'm waiting for a smart one that can actually think for a change, instead of simply bringing fear, bigotry and age old ignorance to the table!
Heh. "Bigotry." :D

The "age old" problem you've got there is simply logic. Ascribing a false ulterior motive in an ad hominem way, instead of responding to the reasoning, is what one does when one simply has run out of logic.

There is no "factor" you can isolate that will change the problem I've identified for you. Either gender is a real thing, or it's not. If it is, it can't be changed at will; if it is not, there's nothing to change from or to. There is the problem, in it's very simplest form.

Meanwhile, will you be content to leave transgender sufferers in their confusion and misery, denying them both clarity and therapy, just so you can preen yourself as "smart" and "unbigoted"?

So much, then, for the compassion of the Left! :shock:
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:23 pm HQ, you're an idiot...
Pretty much I've always considered you a throwback... to the Neanderthals, your avatar being a perfect choice! At least you've gotten that much correct!
Ad hominem.

You really don't seem to have even a tiny grasp of what that fallacy is. But please, look it up: it will help you immensely. https://philosophy.lander.edu/logic/person.html
SpheresOfBalance

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:30 pm
Heh. "Bigotry." :D

The "age old" problem you've got there is simply logic. Ascribing a false ulterior motive in an ad hominem way, instead of responding to the reasoning, is what one does when one simply has run out of logic.

There is no "factor" you can isolate that will change the problem I've identified for you. Either gender is a real thing, or it's not. If it is, it can't be changed at will; if it is not, there's nothing to change from or to. There is the problem, in it's very simplest form.

Meanwhile, will you be content to leave transgender sufferers in their confusion and misery, denying them both clarity and therapy, just so you can preen yourself as "smart" and "unbigoted"?

So much, then, for the compassion of the Left! :shock:
You shouldn't even be here, as you have no clue as to what philosophy is.
You missed the Socrates paraphrase as it pertains to the topic at hand. I even gave you a clue with my proposal.

So here's another one: Perspective is everything, capeesh?

You're not educated enough to know what the determining factor is, instead you wave your aged old "BLACK" book around like it's a divining rod, so pretty much you're simply a lying idiot! Or is that idiot liar? I mean, which one does come first??? :P
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:42 pm You shouldn't even be here, as you have no clue as to what philosophy is.
What irony! :D What projection! :D
I'm so entertained!
You'll find it's spelled, "capiche," from the Italian "capisci." However, that's secondary.

Heh. Perspective is not everything. If it were, since my perspective is that perspective is not everything, I would have to be right!

See how silly your claim is?
...you're simply a lying idiot! Or is that idiot liar?

I can see you didn't bother to look up "ad hominem." If you had, you'd have no doubt it's a fallacy. Two more demonstrations of the fact that you're still being fooled by it are here.
SpheresOfBalance

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:54 pm
SpheresOfBalance wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:42 pm You shouldn't even be here, as you have no clue as to what philosophy is.
What irony! :D What projection! :D
I'm so entertained!
That's why I'm here, to entertain the fools!
You'll find it's spelled, "capiche," from the Italian "capisci." However, that's secondary.
Nope, not according to the English dictionary! There are several spellings. See what I mean, you're an ignorant idiot!

Heh. Perspective is not everything. If it were, since my perspective is that perspective is not everything, I would have to be right!

See how silly your claim is?
Another one just flew over your head, did you even feel the air?

...you're simply a lying idiot! Or is that idiot liar?

I can see you didn't bother to look up "ad hominem." If you had, you'd have no doubt it's a fallacy. Two more demonstrations of the fact that you're still being fooled by it are here.
I know all about the word, but again perspective reigns supreme, particularly in this case, as I see that facts are facts despite ones flawed perspective, Isn't that right "IC?" Can you feel the air?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:03 pm ...the fools!...you're an ignorant idiot![/color]
Ad hominems.
I know all about the word...
Evidently not. If you did, you wouldn't use them so much, as above.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I've always considered you a throwback to the Neanderthals
thank you!

that's a compliment in my book
SpheresOfBalance

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:11 pm
SpheresOfBalance wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:03 pm ...the fools!...you're an ignorant idiot![/color]
Ad hominems.
I know all about the word...
Evidently not. If you did, you wouldn't use them so much, as above.
Went right over your head, so I'll say it plainly for the mentally challenged: Ad hominems aren't Ad hominems when they're factual. And in your case it's factual! You've proven to be a liar and an idiot!

So don't engage me, because as such, you'll only receive the same crassness!
Your arguments continually contain sidestepping, avoidance, false statements, and are largely illogical. You don't deserve my serious nature or argument until such time that you employ honesty! Which I'm sure is never going to happen. I've watched you since you joined this forum and you've always employed the same worthless tactics, largely avoidance, and often bate and switch.

Seriously, I get tired of such dishonest, so called, argument! It's far too tedious to humour such BS.

And to be honest with you, I've now decided that all religious freaks are insane, not worth my time, until they finally get a clue of the historical facts as seen though the filter of psychology so as to understand the climate of those times when the tripe was written.

Quite clearly, those that believe in leprechauns without ever witnessing their existence are nuts! That it's in text, doesn't make it necessarily credible.
henry quirk

Mannie

Post by henry quirk »

You're a...
religious freak?
...well I'll be damned.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:29 am Went right over your head, so I'll say it plainly for the mentally challenged: Ad hominems aren't Ad hominems when they're factual.
False. Period.

Even an inveterate liar must speak the truth at least half the time, if he or she hopes to be believed. Thus, the particular truthfulness of any of his or her statements depends not on issues of character, but on the facts. Likewise, a truthful person can occasionally be mistaken, so his truthfulness does not depend on his character either, only on how the facts correspond to his statement.

Thus, to argue rightly is to deal with the substance of a person's claims. And to be ad hominem is to deflect attention from the speaker's rightness to his or her character.

Watching a person who lapses into ad hominems is like watching an incontinent child lose bladder control in public. One feels more embarrassed for her, because of her inability to hold herself in or to avoid humiliating herself than one feels for oneself.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

On this subject, here's something that really has to form part of the data -- the famous "John/Joan" case that really launched the transgenderism ideology. It originally appeared in Rolling Stone -- not exactly a right-wing forum, to be sure.

It's not short, but it's a detailed and hugely important article, well worth the read if one is serious at all about this question.

https://www.healthyplace.com/gender/ins ... -john-joan
SpheresOfBalance

Re: Mannie

henry quirk wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:24 am You're a...
religious freak?
...well I'll be damned.
Your comments have always been largely worthless!