Neoliberalism is good (or at least ok).

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: Oh, I get jabbed by everyone...

Post by gaffo »

Arising_uk wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:08 pm
gaffo wrote:...

I'm i registered Independent, ...
You have to register your political affliation over the pond?
????

yes i do - of course.

is this odd?

if so i welcome understanding/learning.

how do is it done on your side of our pond?

------------

in fact in my State (Oklahoma) sadly being the least Democratic State in my Union (due to legislators changing the laws to lock in the Republicrat/Deomcon 1 party - oh sorry "2" party state of affiars removed my ability to register as one of the other 2 parites we have over here nationally - Libertarian (which is what i really am, but cannot register as in my state - so have to reg as Independant (which means "other" rather than republicrat/democan") - Green

I like somewhat the Greens too (they affirm international law). i used to like the dems (they still affirm what the greens do wrt to interantional law/un/etc) - but have gone off the deep end with indentity politics - throwing uiniversal humanism/melting pot - E pluribus unum - under the bus for tribal indentity egoism by the 1990s. only thing still worth a damn with the dems of today is thier valueing of my constitution/ACLU/civil rights, and their economic views - tax the rich more (though his latter is now nearly dead with them too being more tricklydown republican today than they should.

Libertarians do piss me off economically - they are all about trickle down and utterly wrong in their ecomic views, but fully the best WRT civil rights/rule of law per my constitution. Libertarians are the last party left that truely loves affirms and respects my constitution fully - rather than picking and choosing part for self interest and giving lip service. Liberatarian fail WRT international law and the UN (where Greens are right - but green are wrong in not valuing our Constituion/state constitutions rules of law).

so I'm fucked.

70's era democrats were whare i've been since that time................but they left me.

Liberatians the best fit for me now - but due to thier crazy economic view a poor fit.

I'm a pefect fit for a political party that values the Rule of Law (my US Constitution as its foundation) from the town to internationally, values taxing the rich to expand the middle class, reject State Authority by instinct (and so affirms Jury Power/Pardon/Nullification) - affirms denying presenting identification to "the police" without "reasonable cause" by them (god bless the ACLU).

I guess that makes me a Registered Independant Hippy - though 20 yrs too young to be a real hippy.

again in my state i cannot register as either a Green Party nor a Libertarian member. the registration form in my state does not offer them -even though they are National parties in my nation (Greens are around 1-percent, Liberatarians are around 2-percent).

the form in my state offers:

Republican (should be re-labeled Authoritarian Fascists IMO -Repuglicons of today is not Eisenhower's party!)

Democrat

Independent
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

gaffo wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:48 pm
Arising_uk wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:08 pm
gaffo wrote:...

I'm i registered Independent, ...
You have to register your political affliation over the pond?
????

yes i do - of course.

is this odd?

how do is it done on your side of our pond? ...
It's a free private vote at a general or local election and no-one has to register as anything ever.
henry quirk

A_uk

Post by henry quirk »

"It's a free private vote at a general or local election and no-one has to register as anything ever."

Here, our elections and referendums are free (tax-funded) and private too. We register to reduce (or attempt to reduce fraud) and to preserve party-specific votes to party members.As I say up-thread: I'm registered as No Party. I can't vote in party-specific things, but general votes (which is most of 'em) I can.

The recognized parties in my state: Democrat, Green, Independent, Libertarian, and Republican; and No Party for unaffiliated folks.

Question: if a Brit doesn't have to register this means he just shows up at the poll and votes, yeah? Does he have to show ID? What mechanism is in place to keep him from voting multiple times?
Arising_uk

Re: Neoliberalism is good (or at least ok).

Post by Arising_uk »

Ah! I get what is meant now, yes we have what's called an electoral role, or register, for each council area that we sign-on to if we wish to vote in local or general elections but there is no declaration of any party affiliation just ID of who we are and generally some kind of proof that we currently live in the borough.

Not sure what you mean by voting for 'party-specific' things? As over here that would involve actually joining a party that has a democratic voting process.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Arising_uk wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:06 pm Ah! I get what is meant now, yes we have what's called an electoral role or register for each council area that we sign-on to if we wish to vote but there is no declaration of any party affiliation just ID of who we are and generally some kind of proof that we currently live in the borough.
Then we got mostly the same system. Party affiliation (in registration) isn't a requirement unless, as I say, you wanna vote in party-specific things (dems voting on a nominee, for example).
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

henry quirk wrote:Then we got mostly the same system. Party affiliation (in registration) isn't a requirement unless, as I say, you wanna vote in party-specific things (dems voting on a nominee, for example).
That sounds odd to me, so you can just declare yourself a republican or democrat or whatever and have a vote about party nominees?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Arising_uk wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:51 am
henry quirk wrote:Then we got mostly the same system. Party affiliation (in registration) isn't a requirement unless, as I say, you wanna vote in party-specific things (dems voting on a nominee, for example).
That sounds odd to me, so you can just declare yourself a republican or democrat or whatever and have a vote about party nominees?
Yeah, you have to register as a repub or a dem to be able to vote in repub- or dem-specific contests. A 'no party', like me, can't participate in those party-specific affairs. It's no big deal.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Arising_uk wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:14 am
gaffo wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:48 pm
Arising_uk wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:08 pm You have to register your political affliation over the pond?
????

yes i do - of course.

is this odd?

how do is it done on your side of our pond? ...
It's a free private vote at a general or local election and no-one has to register as anything ever.
interesting! and thanks for education me!!!!!!!!

We should adopt your system here IMO.

in my land, we must register to a party (including no party - "independent" in all of our states) - it is then left up to the parties if they will allow "other party registers" to vote in there primaries.

for instance...........when the Democrats ruled my land (Oklahoma) from the 1940's to the 2000's ) one had to be a registered Democrat to be able to vote in their primary for their candidates prior to the general election. I'm not educated on the Republicans from the same time period - they were the minority party at the time - so likely they were "open primary" (meaning they would allow non rethuglicans to vote for their candidates in the primarly)

but that is up to the party in my state (and all the other 50) - so not sure about rethugs here, never being a rethug since my ability to vote - 1980s.

Wiki i'm sure could educate us both on this particular matter.

point of note, dems lost the majority around 2000 in my state, and since around 2010 or so the Democratic Party of Oklahoma ammended thier rules, and since that time, being a minority party allows not registered Dems to vote in their primaries.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:22 am
Arising_uk wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:51 am
Yeah, you have to register as a repub or a dem to be able to vote in repub- or dem-specific contests. A 'no party', like me, can't participate in those party-specific affairs. It's no big deal.
you may or may not in their party particular primaries, depending upon said party rules.

- as stated to foghornleghorn - i'm not sure about Reichthug party's history in my state when they were a minority (since they have been a majority (2000 or so) - i as in imdependant cannot vote in the thuggy primary) - nor could i in the dems).

since that time ---i.e since the Dems are now the minority 2010 or so, they ammended thier party rules and they offer an "open primary" on all their candidates, so i as a registered Independent and now vote in their primaries.

all of this is state dependant of course, so LA may differ from OK.
henry quirk

"LA may differ from OK"

Post by henry quirk »

It does.
gaffo

Re: "LA may differ from OK"

Post by gaffo »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:34 amIt does.
???????

so Dems are now "open primary" in LA?

and the Reichbugs? - open or closed in LA?

your reply is oblique ;-/.

Reichbugs in my state is closed...........since they are the majority party today.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Henry , you still with us?

if so , what is the state of your State. per the particlur parity.

Repbulicrat/Deomcons.
henry quirk

louisiana is largely a red state that just reelected a crappy blue governor

Post by henry quirk »

go figure