Is Free Speech Worth Defending?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Post Reply
Nick_A
Posts: 4307
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Is Free Speech Worth Defending?

Post by Nick_A » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:03 pm

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

As we have seen, free speech in the secular world is believed to inhibit the goal of a peaceful society. Society has evolved to create what are called “experts” who have been successfully educated to be able to tell you what to think and say. Experts have made free speech an archaic concept. Yet there are still some old fashioned people holding on to the proclaimed debunked concept of free speech, How can we deal with them?

NYC is leading the way in the defense of experts.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/26/city-bans ... t-of-hate/
It’s now against the law in New York City to threaten someone with a call to immigration authorities or refer to them as an “illegal alien” when motivated by hate.
The restrictions — violations of which are punishable by fines of up to $250,000 per offense — are outlined in a 29-page directive released by City Hall’s Commission on Human Rights.
“‘Alien’ — used in many laws to refer to a ‘noncitizen’ person — is a term that may carry negative connotations and dehumanize immigrants, marking them as ‘other,'” reads one passage of the memo. “The use of certain language, including ‘illegal alien’ and ‘illegals,’ with the intent to demean, humiliate, or offend a person or persons constitutes discrimination.”………………………..
Who can object to such social progress? When Rick Lewis hears about this you will be getting fines for referring to illegal aliens in your posts. Even now the experts in NY are planning to expand the ban on free speech to include loud obnoxious feminists. You will no longer be allowed to refer to them as a pain in the ass. It will cost another 250 grand to do so.

Freedom vs, statist slavery. The people are choosing statist slavery and the creation of experts to tell them what to think, do, and say, or risk the wrath of experts.
Ben Franklin didn’t believe the sacrifice of free speech was worth it. I don’t either. Do you?

Impenitent
Posts: 2394
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Is Free Speech Worth Defending?

Post by Impenitent » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:34 pm

democratics are double plus good

-Imp

User avatar
Dontaskme
Posts: 7069
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm
Location: Nowhere

Re: Is Free Speech Worth Defending?

Post by Dontaskme » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:06 pm

When confronted with the cruelties of nature the human beasts will show their teeth.

.

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 5127
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

freedom & safety are incompatible

Post by henry quirk » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:33 am

it's a black & white, 'this' or 'that', kinda thing

there's no middle ground

pick one, act accordingly

me: I'm free and I aim to stay that way

Nick_A
Posts: 4307
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: freedom & safety are incompatible

Post by Nick_A » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:12 am

henry quirk wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:33 am
it's a black & white, 'this' or 'that', kinda thing

there's no middle ground

pick one, act accordingly

me: I'm free and I aim to stay that way
How can you say this? The government is offering to protect you and your feelings. When you are promoted to become a part of a protected collective, no one can hurt our feelings and not be fined 250 grand. You will be safe and secure in the knowledge that your government will protect you. Why would you abandon the chance for everything to become wonderful? All it asks is this small request for dedicated devotion to its whims to actualize peace and love.

Ben Franklin was too old fashioned and unaware of the benefits of progressive education. You can know better. All you have to do is believe, obey, and pay the bills. Your government will do the rest and constantly protect you from threatening politically incorrect ideas. What more could you ask for?

Nick_A
Posts: 4307
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: Is Free Speech Worth Defending?

Post by Nick_A » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:17 am

Dontaskme wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:06 pm
When confronted with the cruelties of nature the human beasts will show their teeth.

.
Do you mean that free speech is not worth defending if it provokes angry growls?

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 5127
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

"What more could you ask for?"

Post by henry quirk » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:23 am

HA!

'asking': therein lies the conflict. I don't 'ask', don't 'request', don't 'petition'.

Those people, those wayward employees, got nuthin' I want or need.

I'm thinkin' dark days lie ahead (for them) if they keep on with their jackassery.

Nick_A
Posts: 4307
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: "What more could you ask for?"

Post by Nick_A » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:45 am

henry quirk wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:23 am
HA!

'asking': therein lies the conflict. I don't 'ask', don't 'request', don't 'petition'.

Those people, those wayward employees, got nuthin' I want or need.

I'm thinkin' dark days lie ahead (for them) if they keep on with their jackassery.
Be careful; big brother is watching you. With your attitude you may be taken out of consideration. for the snowflake of the year award. How embarrassing!

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 5127
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

HA!

Post by henry quirk » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:21 am

"big brother is watching you"

That's what the big bother wants us to think.

They work hard at it, with only moderate success.

No, their leash is flimsy & loose; the hand holdin' it, trembly.

They're an angsty lot, as they should be.

User avatar
Dontaskme
Posts: 7069
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm
Location: Nowhere

Re: Is Free Speech Worth Defending?

Post by Dontaskme » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:06 am

Nick_A wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:17 am
Dontaskme wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:06 pm
When confronted with the cruelties of nature the human beasts will show their teeth.

.
Do you mean that free speech is not worth defending if it provokes angry growls?
Words are cheap and empty. All that's being defended is the necessity to be right in fear of being wrong. Truth is, minds that are in acquistion of knowledge are all right as belief structures are inseparably attached to every ideology. However, in reality there is no mind speaking or listening but the one that is made-up. The mind of knowledge knows itself. In knowledge there is nothing known without it's complimentary opposite. There is no such thing as peace of mind without conflict.

Discernment and balance is the key. Unfortunately for speaking primates, aka the custodians of knowledge underlies a phenomena known as the self-aware believing primate brain where opposition is unavoidable since mental constructs, aka words have become powerful entities having manifested a life form all of their own that the believing brain is programmed to react to, or ignore depending on the will for either peace or war. Humans are animals too and will usually defend to the death if threatened. They are no different to any other life form intent on it's own survial at all cost. Sometimes the price is just too high for the human primate and that makes them the dumbest creatures to have ever disgraced this planet.



.

jayjacobus
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: Is Free Speech Worth Defending?

Post by jayjacobus » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:42 pm

Manipulation is allowed. Defamation is a civil issue and hard to prove. Bullying is harmful but not against the law. Insults are permitted (as the president demonstrates). People will harm you and demand free speech. Where to draw the line? No where, I suppose.

Nick_A
Posts: 4307
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: Is Free Speech Worth Defending?

Post by Nick_A » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:13 pm

Dontaskme wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:06 am
Nick_A wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:17 am
Dontaskme wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:06 pm
When confronted with the cruelties of nature the human beasts will show their teeth.

.
Do you mean that free speech is not worth defending if it provokes angry growls?
Words are cheap and empty. All that's being defended is the necessity to be right in fear of being wrong. Truth is, minds that are in acquistion of knowledge are all right as belief structures are inseparably attached to every ideology. However, in reality there is no mind speaking or listening but the one that is made-up. The mind of knowledge knows itself. In knowledge there is nothing known without it's complimentary opposite. There is no such thing as peace of mind without conflict.

Discernment and balance is the key. Unfortunately for speaking primates, aka the custodians of knowledge underlies a phenomena known as the self-aware believing primate brain where opposition is unavoidable since mental constructs, aka words have become powerful entities having manifested a life form all of their own that the believing brain is programmed to react to, or ignore depending on the will for either peace or war. Humans are animals too and will usually defend to the death if threatened. They are no different to any other life form intent on it's own survial at all cost. Sometimes the price is just too high for the human primate and that makes them the dumbest creatures to have ever disgraced this planet.



.
At least you are honest. Speech that asserts the importance of defending a woman from rape is considered meaningless. Just let nature take its course since it is all just a dream. I can see why you may believe it but I, as an ol fashioned male, still believes in speech aimed at protecting women from rape

Nick_A
Posts: 4307
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: Is Free Speech Worth Defending?

Post by Nick_A » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:16 pm

jayjacobus wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:42 pm
Manipulation is allowed. Defamation is a civil issue and hard to prove. Bullying is harmful but not against the law. Insults are permitted (as the president demonstrates). People will harm you and demand free speech. Where to draw the line? No where, I suppose.
So we don't know where to draw the line, the only thing to do is let the government being far more intelligent, draw the line. Fair enough.

jayjacobus
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: Is Free Speech Worth Defending?

Post by jayjacobus » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:03 pm

What we need is a court by the people, for the people and of the people. Truck drivers, waitresses, scientists, teachers will figure it out. The supreme court is supreme Trumpsters.

(What government lackey changed medicare? We'll see about that.)

Nick_A
Posts: 4307
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: Is Free Speech Worth Defending?

Post by Nick_A » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:30 pm

jayjacobus wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:03 pm
What we need is a court by the people, for the people and of the people. Truck drivers, waitresses, scientists, teachers will figure it out. The supreme court is supreme Trumpsters.

(What government lackey changed medicare? We'll see about that.)
The group you mentioned is better suited for a good old fashioned orgy. Is the only alternative enforced equality in slavery? If you want o seriously consider this question you'll have to reason beyond blaming Trump and come to grips with what is necessary for the benefits of free speech to outweigh its detriments.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Richardmc and 2 guests