Trust and knowledge

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

GhostThinker25

Trust and knowledge

Post by GhostThinker25 »

When you say you believe someone, does it mean you're sure they're saying the truth or does it just mean you assume they're saying the truth? Can you ever know someone is saying the truth? It seems unlikely to me, because I don't see how we can directly access minds other than our own. I just don't see how to exclude the possibility someone might be lying when they say things like "I love you" or "this is beautiful".
Impenitent

Re: Trust and knowledge

Post by Impenitent »

"trust" is habit

you hear it repeated until you trust it...

claims to "know" that which is "trusted" are as tenuous as any other claim of "knowledge"; but meaning generated through repetition appears more "true"...

some habits are hard to break...

-Imp
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Impenitent
"trust" is habit

you hear it repeated until you trust it...

claims to "know" that which is "trusted" are as tenuous as any other claim of "knowledge"; but meaning generated through repetition appears more "true"...

some habits are hard to break...
Putting aside analytic judgments, which one is expected to trust absolutely, just as one trusts a tautology (though this "trust" is supposed to be intuitive and nondiscursive, and therefore grounded in itself only, making one wonder at this miracle-- for what is a miracle but something for which there is no explanatory basis, but compelling for belief all the same. Consider a magician's wand: Once there is an explanation for how it works, it is no longer magic), what is there to any knowledge but familiarity? The What of things is never explained, only the how. Or, language cannot disclose what things are, only how. The What remains and always will remain, a miracle of sorts.
The question is, what is it that gives us our apprehension of existence, or Being, if you will (not to quibble, unless the need to do so is presented). Intuituive knowledge is simply miraculous, and if one doesn't want to believe in such things, then one is stuck with some account of Being in the World which is discursive. It gets very interesting here. It is where the idea of the post modern steps in.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

apprehension...

there is no guarantee of future events...

either that they will occur or that they will resemble the past...

-Imp
Walker

Post by Walker »

Giving trust prompts the giving of trust, however simply receiving trust, in and of itself, is not just cause to give trust, unless you’re a rube in the big city.

Can you dig it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GXSHRJYxTQ