proposition (1)

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

waechter418

proposition (1)

Post by waechter418 »

All our deeds, emotions, thoughts, creeds – and whatever else we are trying to relate ourselves with – are expression of Consciousness which exercises its possibilities in order to realise itself.
AlexW

Re: proposition (1)

Post by AlexW »

waechter418 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:58 pm All our deeds, emotions, thoughts, creeds – and whatever else we are trying to relate ourselves with – are expression of Consciousness which exercises its possibilities in order to realise itself.
I don't think consciousness has a goal or a plan - as I see it, it's not doing anything, but it simply is.
Realisation is for the mind only - consciousness is already fully "realised" without having to know/think that it is.
-1-

Post by -1- »

AlexW wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:10 am
waechter418 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:58 pm All our deeds, emotions, thoughts, creeds – and whatever else we are trying to relate ourselves with – are expression of Consciousness which exercises its possibilities in order to realise itself.
I don't think consciousness has a goal or a plan - as I see it, it's not doing anything, but it simply is.
Realisation is for the mind only - consciousness is already fully "realised" without having to know/think that it is.
AlexW, what's the difference between mind and consciousness? They constantly co-exist. How do you separate the two?
bahman

Post by bahman »

-1- wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:06 am
AlexW, what's the difference between mind and consciousness? They constantly co-exist. How do you separate the two?
Mind is the essence of any being/thing with the ability to experience and cause. Consciousness, therefore, is an ability of mind.
AlexW

Post by AlexW »

-1- wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:06 am AlexW, what's the difference between mind and consciousness? They constantly co-exist. How do you separate the two?
To me, "mind" is just a concept referring to the "collective" of thought - there really is no such thing as a mind, just one thought, then another etc etc.
Thoughts arise in consciousness - not the other way round

An idea of a thing called "consciousness" might arise as a thought, but this thought/idea is still known by consciousness itself - the thought itself cannot know anything, just like a sound can not hear anything.

Consciousness stands on its on - thought requires consciousness to be known/experienced.
You are conscious even in times when there is no thought, right?
Ramu

Post by Ramu »

Consciousness is prior to mind.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Ramu wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:09 pm
No, the mind is fundamental. Consciousness is a property of mind.
waechter418

Post by waechter418 »

bahman wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:27 pm
Which comes first - the chicken or the egg ? :wink:
-1-

Post by -1- »

waechter418 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:21 pm
We are all mincing words without a thought to reason.

In other words, I believe none of us knows what we are talking about.

In other words, we have strong opinions on things we care about, but know virtually nothing about.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Eggs came first, that's easy.
As for mind and consciousness, the question is absurd since they are synonymous.
The mind and consciousness are a property of the brain. They are/ it is what the brain does.
AlexW

Post by AlexW »

bahman wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:27 pm No, the mind is fundamental. Consciousness is a property of mind.
Can you observe thought or are you always lost in it?
If you can observe thought, then what is it that observes?
waechter418

Post by waechter418 »

-1- wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:15 pm

In other words, we have strong opinions on things we care about, but know virtually nothing about.
"Speech is blasphemy, silence a lie. Above speech and silence there is a way out."

"If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top."

(Zen sayings)
Atla

Post by Atla »

That's what almost every average Joe comes to believe who spent a fair amount of time thinking about Consciousness, but is just another illusion.

Consciousness (reality, the world, existence) doesn't "do" anything. Something even much weirder and harder to comprehend is going on.

In fact I wonder if only one or a very few people are "meant" to figure out what's really going on. And the illusion you believe in, stops most people from trying to look even deeper, thereby greatly reducing their number.

It sort of serves as a filtering mechanism :lol: Maybe this isn't so just by chance either.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

-1- wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:15 pm

But we love talking about nothing it's the only thing we know everything about.

Words are the talking, the only talking there is. What is a word but sound.

What came first the sound or the silent listener? They both arise at the same time, namely now...

In other words, nothing and everything is talking and listening.

Everything and Nothing happens Now

waechter418

Post by waechter418 »

a different view of the same concept:

The following is based on the supposition that unity comprises multiplicity in order to realize itself.

The interaction of unity and multiplicity is called ConsciousNess and regarded as an inter-extrapolation that relates in a viewpoint which manifests ConsciousNess.*

* (The particular spelling is to emphasize the relativity of Conscious: purposeful, aware – and Ness: being, existence)

introduction to "Selfrealisation" - https://waechter418.wordpress.com