Is it aesthetic or is it ethical?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Zennozen

Re: Is it aesthetic or is it ethical?

Post by Zennozen »

Being ethical is, among other things, also aesthetically good (But not for everyone evidently) . Being good (in the ethical sense) not only looks good but also feels good. That is really the definition of aesthetics.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

commonsense wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:51 pm
gaffo wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:02 am
commonsense wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:56 pm

By my initial thinking, yes.

We need a better heuristic than what I have implied. Do you think this discussion would hold more weight if I were to say that judgments, such as those concerning discordant music, are individualized?

Would that help?
thanks for reply, no i do not think so because i personally find no link to music - good or bad. major keys or minor - as having any link to morality.

I think your whole premise is wrong.

just my opinion, welcome more discussion on the matter - for me to reply or ignore - lol.
I really meant the OP as an open question, and then I probed further just to explore the topic. I agree with you completely now.
lol.

thanks for reply BTW - just to get that out of the way.

so - to be of use in this thread (for you me and others/etc - and yes i know musical tastes differ) - I welcome musicians you like and why so.

and i can return links of musicians i also like and why, and others here can "copy/paste" our name-drops and learn entire new musicians they never know about prior!

"sounds" - haha - good to me.

you go first, then i'll do my part in replies. - lets make this thread pragmatic!
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

good creed, not my style - find it too much jazz (complicated). but affirm him as talented.

so why do you like his works?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

gaffo wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:43 am
good creed, not my style - find it too much jazz (complicated). but affirm him as talented.

It feels mathematically stimulating. The grace notes and trills feel like divisions on a number line.

If you like syncopated music (mildly jazzy), try Rondo a la Turcica.

Vivaldi (think Four Seasons) is an intensely mathematical confluence of right and left brain excitement.

Then there’s Bach (think D. Hofstadter’s GEB), whose double concerto for violins in d-minor is the archetype for point/counterpoint intricacies.

Beethoven, the first of the 3 B’s, also comes to mind, but his visceral tones almost overshadow the numerical undercurrent.

The Beatles. Sir Elton. Perry Como. Need I say more?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

commonsense wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:22 pm
gaffo wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:43 am

It feels mathematically stimulating. The grace notes and trills feel like divisions on a number line.

If you like syncopated music (mildly jazzy), try Rondo a la Turcica.

Vivaldi (think Four Seasons) is an intensely mathematical confluence of right and left brain excitement.

Then there’s Bach (think D. Hofstadter’s GEB), whose double concerto for violins in d-minor is the archetype for point/counterpoint intricacies.

Beethoven, the first of the 3 B’s, also comes to mind, but his visceral tones almost overshadow the numerical undercurrent.

The Beatles. Sir Elton. Perry Como. Need I say more?
oh i do live Bach,Vivaldi, Beethoven, and the Beatles!!!!!

thanks for reply and lets discuss "music" and why some like "jazz" and/or "minor cords".

none of the above offered minors cords, ( just sayin i love their works!), unlike Hindemith and Profiev who did..........just "minor chords" alone does not allow me to like either, both of those guys mixed minor with major and melody (and silence - this i think is not affirmed as much as it should be IMO - the silent between the music - offers "expectation" (sort of like some drum beats) -both those guys, esp the latter in his 4th Symphony (the lest popular and my personal favorite) - used both minor cords, and silence - i.e. the calm before the storm! - expectation - to great affect.

i forget the Nordic guy - Greg? - Hall of the Mountian King (and another excellent work the name i forget sadly) did the same.

discovered V. Willaim's Fantasia only about a year ago!!!!! (where have i been?) - utterly sublime work IMO.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Sorry. I lost track of this thread for a while.

What informs an individual’s preference in music? What accounts for taste? Genetics? I sincerely doubt that. There is a new genre of music that gains popularity with each new generation. Thus no preference in music would be carried from generation to generation, unless there were no change in the music available.

Taste in music, among others, is acquired as a matter of exposure to a pleasing and comfortable experience. It is possible that musical preferences develop in utero under certain circumstances. If a woman should sing, hum or replay a certain style of music during her pregnancy, assuming the experience were comforting, then the neonate may in fact have developed a musical preference.

Under most any other circumstance, it is likely a matter of repeated exposure over time that brings an individual to a sense of taste in music. Some will like presto, others will not. Some will like major chords, others will not. Some will like staccato, others will not. Some will like syncopation, others will not. And on, and on.

I do wonder, though, if PERHAPS there exists just the right ingredients in an hormonal soup that causes adolescents to enjoy fanatically the same tunes as their cohorts, or is there something else that underlies popular fads in teenagers?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Not steeped in aesthetics, I draw a distinction between preference and appreciation. While I think that preference is a matter of visceral taste, I consider appreciation to be more cerebral. One can appreciate something for which one has no preference. And vice versa.

For example, a member of one political party may oppose the ideology of another political party. However it is actually possible for members to appreciate the nuances,Intricacies and motivation behind the tenets of the opposing party. It is a matter of understanding, a cognitive function.

On the other hand, the expression, “I know it when I see it,” belies a taste for something for which one has no understanding, no appreciation.

As for me, having played violin for many years, many years ago, I especially appreciate orchestral pieces in which the 1st violins are blazing away or carrying a melodious theme.