General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

-1-

Re: NEW "James" Bond to be Black Woman

Post by -1- »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:29 am
Walker wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:18 pm
As a kid I read all the Bond books.
The book-Bond was more man than caricature.
True. I read most of the Bond books and the movie James Bond bears little resemblance to the literary one.
I read War and Peace, and the book was longer and less PC than the movie.

I read Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy and the book was funnier and much deeper than the movie.

I read the Bible and the book was less spectacular and more full of stabs at moral sermons than the movie Ten Commandments.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

-1- wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:57 am
Walker wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:18 pm
As a kid I read all the Bond books.
The book-Bond was more man than caricature.
True. I read most of the Bond books and the movie James Bond bears little resemblance to the literary one.

I read Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy and the book was funnier and much deeper than the movie.

I read the Bible and the book was less spectacular and more full of stabs at moral sermons than the movie Ten Commandments.
What an arse.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

-1- wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:52 am
Sculptor wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:40 pm
gaffo wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:40 am and of course i still view foreign flicks - foreigners are not infected with PC, so if the story is good the director has not soldout to PC.
Foreigners are all pretty PC, no idea what you are on about here.
Foreigners are leftists, not PC.

There is a difference between leftist and PC, which Americans (pardon my bias) can't possibly sense.
You obviously do not understand irony.
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:51 pm

What an arse.
Yes. Taking it back to the context of the discussion, the attempted emasculation of Bond was not an addition to the character Bond caused by changing cultural mores of chickification, as -1- asserted.

It was actually part of the original character.

Roger Moore was the worst Bond. Quite the unconvincing dandy.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:37 pm
-1- wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:52 am
Foreigners are leftists, not PC.

There is a difference between leftist and PC, which Americans (pardon my bias) can't possibly sense.
You obviously do not understand irony.
Sorry. I misunderstood your irony. My bad.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

gaffo wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:40 am
i only watch YT documentaries, OLD (pre 1980's) movie, pre 2000 TV shows - on DVD

and of course i still view foreign flicks - foreigners are not infected with PC, so if the story is good the director has not soldout to PC.

but you have to be ok with reading subtitles. which FYI is no big deal once you acclimate to them (3-4 months tops). reading is no big deal.
What is YT?

And as for watching no TV. You are seriously missing out. I'd be hard pressed to find anything PC in Breaking Bad, or Dexter
TV is undergoing a huge rebirth.
The extended series pretty much started with The Sopranos. Where the muthafuckinghell is PC in The Sopranos???
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

gaffo wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:40 am
i only watch YT documentaries, OLD (pre 1980's) movie, pre 2000 TV shows - on DVD

and of course i still view foreign flicks - foreigners are not infected with PC, so if the story is good the director has not soldout to PC.

but you have to be ok with reading subtitles. which FYI is no big deal once you acclimate to them (3-4 months tops). reading is no big deal.
What is YT?
Youtube. found a nice channel about histroy called Timeline, learn much about the War of the Roses, Wat Tyler rebellion and the piss poor kings of Richard 2'nd (smart thug),and Edward 2'nd (dumb poof). this channel had a documentary about King Harold too (he as smart, and a good "righthand man" to the weak Edward the confessor (Harolds brothers were pisspoor, esp Swain - pure thug who enslaved a non and make her his concubine for years, and later aligned himself with the Danish king to take the crown from his brother Harold (who become King upon Edwars death - legally via Edwards will).

- and the rest is history. Harold had to contend with the danish king whom his psychpathic brother supported - in York, then 3 weeks later had to run down to Kent to take on William of Normandy (the concept of a "combined attack - with the former and the latter - to take Harold down - never occured to me, but this doc means this a likely, and i agree).

and it worked. IMO, i think Harold would have won, but he got "that arrow" in his eye - and so died/incapacited, and his men then fled the field and William thus won.

Sculptor wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:40 pm Foreigners are all pretty PC, no idea what you are on about here.
no they aren't.

Canadians maybe, and seems like now Aussies and brits are now under attack for PC, but ORIGINALLY PC was an American invention, if other foriegn societies decide to follow that is their folly.

Sculptor wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:40 pm And as for watching no TV. You are seriously missing out.

I'm missing nothing. I stopped trying anymore - knowing recommendations of "Good shows" from the "pleabs" means nothing to me (their taste sucks - and are "infected" with what is wrong with our culture for the last 20 yrs).

I tried "Rome" - it was ok for the first few episodes, then the main characters (I like Keven Mckid? - he was great in Journeyman (the last show i liked and watch on TV - 12 yrs ago!!!!!! - cencelled before even a full 1 season - of course! - like Firefly before it) turned thuggish, so no longer cared what happened to them. and so gave up.

same with the "ripper" series, got 2/3'rs through episode ONE (i heard it was good so i though "ok i'll give it a chance" (though jaded with the shit of the so called "golden age" of TV nilalistc garbage overall (but i was desparate! to find a show with characters i LIKED) - soon the main character in the series is fucking the his best friends wife!

so i just stopped watching. Thankfully my work environment is made up of good folks - very few assholes. but i know and rem asshole in my previous life working at other places.

why do i wish to watch an asshole fucking the wife of his "friend"????? - and is that "Grit" (I know what "grit" is - its bleak stuff like - Snowtown/ Apu Trillegy/ Dark Blue World (I LOVED this movie!!!!!! - bleak as fuck!!!!! - and a full affirmation of Friendship/Love! - not NOT Niliistic SHIT like we have on tv today!)

Sculptor wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:40 pm I'd be hard pressed to find anything PC in Breaking Bad, or Dexter
never scene those shows, but know enough about then to know they are nihilistc shit.

oh but they are "avante gard"! so not being "corny" (like original Star Trek (Next Gen was better, but both are excellent, the latter less corny of course) must be "good"!!!!!!!! since the mean characters are assholes (if your life is so fucking boring, why do you think watching asshole characters fucking each other over will make your life less boring? ).

I've known a few assholes in my life.

and i know i don't like them, nor do i like to watch then on TV, instead - since all TV now is full bore asshole character. i turn it off (10+ yrs now).

as stated last show i liked was Journeyman- a decade ago! - not offered on DVD in america. I bought the PALS of from Britain, and have 2 players that will playback PAL (and a TV that accepts PAL).

as for "corny" - ya, Star Trek was corny, and the acting was not very good (I love Shatner/etc...but to be honest charisma he had, but a good actor? no), but corny or not, the show affirm a THEME - a Social Statement of right conduct/right ideals.

Humanism.

- which is the opposite of the "death cult" of modern TV you so seem to worship today, that of Nihalism(sp).

Sculptor wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:40 pm TV is undergoing a huge rebirth.
Bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!

the money seekers saw The Sopranos made money 20 yrs ago and now everyone and his dog just make remakes of The Sopranos - all asshole characters TV = money today.

"rebirth my ass"

Rebirth will happen when TV returns to characters and themes where the former is tested and is not a dick be forces of the world.

and themes about life/death/morality.

there are no "themes" in TV today - just assholes.

same for MOVIES!!!!!!!!

Planet of the Apes for instance!!!!!!!!!!!!

Theme in the ORIGINAL (the only series that counts and the only one i've seen - know enough about the remakes to not bother with) was HYPOCRISY of Organized Religion!

all the Chimps were self rightious in quoting their "law giver" Prophet and author of their bible as justifing Slavery of humans (as you should know our Bible justifies slavery - the inclusion in the movie was put there for a reason - they like "we" justify" the bible as "a-ok" even when parts of it include slavery as fine).

The whole "social theme" (which is 3/4 of the THEME of the original series!!!!!!!!! - i.e. Hypocrisy!!!!!!!!! - even we see the same in the second "Beneath" movie - where the Human mutants worship the bomb - they are still human, but treat Taylor as animal since he can not mind read - and in the end of that movie, though Taylor proclaims he is not born evil, he alone pressed the button that destroys the planet (and so affirming Zaus' racism that "man only knows war/death" as Zaus says (Zaus's bigotry is fullbore, and he knows more than he is willing to say to others, but not evil, just corrupt and limited in his race-hatred toward man (Zaus is no different - he know the paper plane could fly, - he is just a man like taylor - and just as hypocritical)

original series was complex - for thinking persons about moral concepts.

remake is just garbage, CGI, genetics/etc.
Sculptor wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:40 pm The extended series pretty much started with The Sopranos. Where the muthafuckinghell is PC in The Sopranos???
the concept of Nhilism as "avente garde" (and corny as crap) - just just being a sheep, same as those went no minds to reject PCness as Tribalism (rather than affirming Humanism).

so its now "PC" to be a bot and think asshole TV is "golded age" - go ahead and worship Nilhalism, I have no interest in that mentality nor nearly all TV today due to its fixation on such.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

TV was best in the early 90's with X-files, Space Above and Beyond, and Nowhere man.

and in the some shows in the 70's

80's TV was fluff crap sadly.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

gaffo wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:01 am... nearly all TV today due to its fixation on such.
Unless you watch TV you are not in a position to judge it.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

gaffo wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:10 am TV was best in the early 90's with X-files,
boring predictable, formulaic
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:11 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:51 pm

What an arse.
Yes. Taking it back to the context of the discussion, the attempted emasculation of Bond was not an addition to the character Bond caused by changing cultural mores of chickification, as -1- asserted.

It was actually part of the original character.

Roger Moore was the worst Bond. Quite the unconvincing dandy.
I liked the early Roger Moore movies, liked Live and Let die the best.

but, to each their own.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:30 am
gaffo wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:10 am TV was best in the early 90's with X-files,
boring predictable, formulaic
pearls before swine i guess ;-(.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

feel free to address my prior post.

why do you like TV filled with assholes as main characters?

do you identify with assholes?

i don't and why i have no wish to watch such TV.
Walker

Post by Walker »

"Do you expect me to talk?"
Bond, James Bond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoQwKe0lggw

(In the book it was a saw)
Walker

Post by Walker »

Bond meets Pussy Galore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkChbEu3hKE

Who would a Black Woman Bond be meeting?