I'm interested in this site because...

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gryfyd

I'm interested in this site because...

Post by Gryfyd »

Hello philosophers,

This philosophy site looks interesting.

I'm interested in you (if you like philosophy) because I will learn something from you and sharpen my wits against yours. Fair enough? I'm seeing a lot of interesting conversations here, written by interesting people.

About me--briefly, I'm a 64 year old man in Southern California, retired from boring labor jobs. I never got a degree, regrettably, for reasons I don't need to go into here. If I could do it over I would have gotten a degree in philosophy. But now I don't need to do that, I can continue reading on my own. But I'm a loner and would like to talk with other philosophers, so this site looks helpful.

On Myers-Briggs psychology test I'm an INFJ, which is rare. 
Introverted (I), Intuitive (N), Feeling (F) and Judging (J). (Judging means critiquing, not condemning.)
Proud of it but can't take credit--it's the result of nature and nurture you know.

All my life I've been fascinated with wonders of philosophy--cosmology, religion, pantheism, consciousness, mind, metaphysics, logical argumentation, ontology, psychology, eastern philosophy like non-dualism. I have good english skills and want to put them to use. 
Currently studying Spinoza, love him.

Want to write essays on these topics and get responses from people. 

I'm creative, my other hobbies are music--singing, saxophone; art; poetry.

Enough for now, see you in the forums!
Glenn
Immanuel Can

Re: I'm interested in this site because...

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gryfyd wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:20 pm Enough for now, see you in the forums!
Glenn
Welcome, Glenn.

All kinds of stuff goes on here. You sound like a good addition.

You might run into somebody who is less than polite. A few misunderstand the point of philosophy, and think this is a chance to throw insults. Don't let that deter you, because there are lots of good folks and lots of interesting ideas going around here...sometimes more than at other times, but there's usually something going on.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gryfyd wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:20 pm Hello philosophers,

This philosophy site looks interesting.

I'm interested in you (if you like philosophy) because I will learn something from you and sharpen my wits against yours. Fair enough? I'm seeing a lot of interesting conversations here, written by interesting people.

About me--briefly, I'm a 64 year old man in Southern California, retired from boring labor jobs. I never got a degree, regrettably, for reasons I don't need to go into here. If I could do it over I would have gotten a degree in philosophy. But now I don't need to do that, I can continue reading on my own. But I'm a loner and would like to talk with other philosophers, so this site looks helpful.

On Myers-Briggs psychology test I'm an INFJ, which is rare. 
Introverted (I), Intuitive (N), Feeling (F) and Judging (J). (Judging means critiquing, not condemning.)
Glenn
It will be interesting to see where you stand on topics that involve toleration.
Gryfyd

Post by Gryfyd »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:18 pm
Gryfyd wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:20 pm Enough for now, see you in the forums!
Glenn
Welcome, Glenn.

All kinds of stuff goes on here. You sound like a good addition.

You might run into somebody who is less than polite. A few misunderstand the point of philosophy, and think this is a chance to throw insults. Don't let that deter you, because there are lots of good folks and lots of interesting ideas going around here...sometimes more than at other times, but there's usually something going on.
Thanks for the encouragement. Yes I'm finding all kinds here, insults as well as encouragement. All goes with the territory. I'm basically a student and truth-seeker.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gryfyd wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:47 pm Thanks for the encouragement. Yes I'm finding all kinds here, insults as well as encouragement. All goes with the territory. I'm basically a student and truth-seeker.
Thaaaaat's the way to look at it. :D