Søren Kierkegaard On the Perils of Procrastination

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: Søren Kierkegaard On the Perils of Procrastination

Post by Arising_uk »

Gary Childress wrote:As I alluded to in my response above, my life is as big a disaster as SK's. If you want to idolize me, feel free.
I doubt SK thought his life a disaster as he did what he set out to do, at least with respect to writing philosophically and challenging the uberman.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Gary Childress wrote:As I alluded to in my response above, my life is as big a disaster as SK's. If you want to idolize me, feel free.
For sure, just let me know when you've writen a philosophy that influences other philosophers.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Gary Childress wrote:Amazing! What university do you teach at?
Academia not for me as I didn't get a first but did spend three years(plus a chunk of years of my own) having to read and study pretty much the canon of Anglo-American Philosophy and commited the heinous sin of also reading the canon of Continental Philosophy. As such I tend to agree with Imp that whilst crib-notes are fine to get a two-two then don't cut the mustard when trying to create an understanding of what a Philosopher says for oneself as you're just hearing what someone else thinks they said.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Arising_uk wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:22 am
I doubt SK thought his life a disaster as he did what he set out to do, at least with respect to writing philosophically and challenging the uberman.
How could SK set out to challenge the ubermensch? Nietzsche was about 10-11 years old when SK died in 1855 and didn't write about the ubermensch until the 1880s.
Last edited by Gary Childress on Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Arising_uk wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:28 am
Gary Childress wrote:Amazing! What university do you teach at?
Academia not for me as I didn't get a first but did spend three years(plus a chunk of years of my own) having to read and study pretty much the canon of Anglo-American Philosophy and commited the heinous sin of also reading the canon of Continental Philosophy. As such I tend to agree with Imp that whilst crib-notes are fine to get a two-two then don't cut the mustard when trying to create an understanding of what a Philosopher says for oneself as you're just hearing what someone else thinks they said.
You must be a genius if you read all those books and understood them all. Not even sure if most professors currently teaching in universities can brag about something like that. Most of them seem to specialize anyway.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Arising_uk wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:23 am
For sure, just let me know when you've writen a philosophy that influences other philosophers.
I've written, but it probably hasn't influenced much of anyone important, however, unlike SK I did at least work for a living for 30 years (in spite of pretty severe psychological and some physical conditions plaguing me--maybe even worse than any psychological ailments SK reportedly had).
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Gary Childress wrote:How could SK set out to challenge the ubermensch? Nietzsche was about 10-11 years old when SK died in 1855 and didn't write about the ubermensch until the 1880s.
:lol: Hoisted upon the petard of my own hubris. My apologies I was misremembering my own essays where I compared and contrasted N's and SK's existentialist philosophies.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Gary Childress wrote:You must be a genius if you read all those books and understood them all. Not even sure if most professors currently teaching in universities can brag about something like that. Most of them seem to specialize anyway.
Not "understood them all" just created an understanding of them for myself. It doesn't take a genius to read, just time mainly.
p.s. I'm not saying don't read commentaries just don't read them first.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Gary Childress wrote:I've written, but it probably hasn't influenced much of anyone important, however, unlike SK I did at least work for a living for 30 years (in spite of pretty severe psychological and some physical conditions plaguing me--maybe even worse than any psychological ailments SK reportedly had).
Maybe you should have read some Kierkegaard he might have helped.

Would you have worked if you'd been left a small fortune at a young age or would you have pursued your interests?
Frank N Stein

Post by Frank N Stein »

Arising_uk wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:28 pm Eric Idle what a genius. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpu ... adio=1&t=0
Wonderful. Real philosophers aren't found in academia.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Frank N Stein wrote:Wonderful. Real philosophers aren't found in academia.
Well real teachers maybe not but I've met a few real philosophers there.
Frank N Stein

Post by Frank N Stein »

Arising_uk wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:19 pm
Frank N Stein wrote:Wonderful. Real philosophers aren't found in academia.
Well real teachers maybe not but I've met a few real philosophers there.
If they do then it would be by accident rather than design, and probably more likely to be in a science or music department than a philosophy one.
Jai

Post by Jai »

In regards to -1- and his thoughts on not procrastinating in stopping ecological destruction, he is using abusive language against young people, using sexist terms to reply to "Belinda, are you a grandmother? And why are you hijacking this thread with Global Warming and Climate Change stuff when it's supposed to be about Kierkegaard?". This type of logical fallacy is called using 'authority by force'' with intimidating and insulting terms. Belinda is making a good point about how procrastination particularly by politicians is leading to environmental disaster, though I agree this type of procrastination is not exactly what Kierkegaard is referring to.