NEW "James" Bond to be Black Woman

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

NEW "James" Bond to be Black Woman

Post by Sculptor »

So with Daniel Craig quitting the franchise, it is rumoured that the New 007 is going to be a black woman.

I assume that, along with women's football, this trend is supposed to offer girls a balanced role model to further the cause of gender equality.
We've seen quite a lot of this; putting a woman into a role traditionally taken by a man. But what is this showing? That women can be as bad and violent as men? Is this a aim to be wished for?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/j ... niel-craig
Skepdick

Re: NEW "James" Bond to be Black Woman

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:20 pm That women can be as bad and violent as men? Is this a aim to be wished for?
Why are you equating violence with badness?

Yes. It's an aim to be wished for. Much of what women desire in the bartering between the sexes is safety. Emotional safety, but also - physical safety.

Personally, I'd love to see more women become independent and self-reliant in terms of their personal safety. It's not like men can play protectors 24/7. That's why I taught my fiancé to be violent and self-reliant for her bodily integrity.

One wannabe rapist already regrets it. If God created us, Sam Colt made us equal...
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Then it's not James Bond. James Bond is a fictional character created by Ian Fleming. Ian Fleming made him a man so he's a man.
The PC fuckturd who came up with this idea can go fuck zirself.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:16 pm Then it's not James Bond. James Bond is a fictional character created by Ian Fleming. Ian Fleming made him a man so he's a man.
The PC fuckturd who came up with this idea can go fuck zirself.
Apparently as James retires, she takes on the 007 handle.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:40 pm
Personally, I'd love to see more women become independent and self-reliant in terms of their personal safety. It's not like men can play protectors 24/7. That's why I taught my fiancé to be violent and self-reliant for her bodily integrity.

One wannabe rapist already regrets it. If God created us, Sam Colt made us equal...
You sound like a real bonehead; you must be an American.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Harbal wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:45 pm You sound like a real bonehead; you must be an American.
You sound like you are... wrong.

But if you have any better (read: pragmatic) ideas about equating the strength differential between men and women, I am all ears.

Or, maybe you prefer women remaining co-dependent on men, police and society for their safety? *shrug*
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:46 pm But if you have any better (read: pragmatic) ideas about equating the strength differential between men and women, I am all ears.

Or, maybe you prefer women remaining co-dependent on men, police and society for their safety? *shrug*
It's the language you use that makes you sound like a bonehead, not particularly the principle you are expressing. And aren't we all dependent on the police and society for our safety. It's all very well having your gun, but if a gang of lawless thugs turn up on your doorstep with their guns, with no police or social restraints to interfere with them, your gun isn't going to make you feel so secure then.

You are the one implying that a woman needs a man to show her how to take care of herself.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:20 pm So with Daniel Craig quitting the franchise, it is rumoured that the New 007 is going to be a black woman.
Interesting.

As we all know, the original Bond was patterned on an actual WWII spy. He was a cold-war artifact, a product of persistent American-Russian tensions, at first. He was adamantly English, male, promiscuous and overtly sexist, socially omni-skilled, verbally smooth, culturally sophisticated, technologically masterful, and unreservedly violent. This was the "Bond" persona -- Connery, Niven, Lazenby, Moore, and even Brosnan left that persona generally intact, though each one changed something.

Is this "a bridge too far"?

Maybe. If two people spoke of, say, Sculptor, and said: "I know who he is -- he's a forty-year-old Canadian with two kids and a second marriage," and another said, "No, I know who she is: Sculptor is a twenty year old unmarried ballerina from Minsk, with one leg," we might all be forgiven for thinking that one, or both, had no idea who Sculptor was at all. Real people cannot be such opposite things.

So can "Bond" be anything? Or, at some point, when we get to the "Bond" who is female, vegan, politically-sensitive, pacifistic, and an abstainer from alcohol, drugs and sex, is there any "Bond" left in Bond?

I'm not sure I think it's important we have one. Maybe the original Bond was just "an icon for his time," but nothing essential at all. But it is interesting to wonder how far a character can be stretched before it just breaks, and we have a different character in every important way. When that happens, what does it mean to say, "There's a new Bond?" Isn't it just a completely new character?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Whether or not you like Bond films I'd rather they ended completely rather than bent to arbitrary PC norms.
There are potentially many scenarios that could give a black women a string role which as nothing to do with James Bond, that would be far more credible as a story line.

There was a recent "adaptation" of The Iliad in TV, in which Achilleus was a black man. Each time he appeared on screen it threw up the same question. How come this Greek, kin to Odysseus and Agamemnon does not look like a Greek? The entire story simply lost credibility. You might as well have cast a child, a Chinaman, or a female pygmy from the Congo.

By contrast the casting of Olivier as Othello is not looked upon as a mistake, and an insult to black people. I don't see these two things sitting side by side and making any sense - at least Olivier was blacked up.

It is true that black guys tend to have fewer opportunities for acting, but why not give them roles that reflect their ethnicity? Surely there are great stories from history that would provide work for good black actors?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

I think Disney should do a remake with a black Snow White. I'm all for this sort of thing.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

It's pure heresy! They should have made a parallel brand like 008!
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

They could get away with it, no problem, on Doctor Who.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Even better, Witch Doctor Who.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:43 pm There was a recent "adaptation" of The Iliad in TV, in which Achilleus was a black man. Each time he appeared on screen it threw up the same question. How come this Greek, kin to Odysseus and Agamemnon does not look like a Greek? The entire story simply lost credibility.
This is a thing the PC set just doesn't seem to understand at all: that fiction requires a "willing suspension of disbelief," to quote Aristotle. People are trying to believe your story, and will try as hard as they possibly can, just to get the effect of the imaginary world you're offering...but there are limits to what their will-power can possibly achieve. And if you exceed these limits...

...the story crashes.

This means that if something is too jarring, too out-of-place, too anomalous, no matter what it is, then it makes that "willing suspension" fail. It makes for a bad story. And then, it doesn't matter how 'woke' the message is; nobody's really interested anymore, because the vehicle that was supposed to carry the message is in the ditch with two wheels off.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I doubt if it will make any money. It's James Bond men like to imagine themselves as--not Oprah Winfrey.

''Black Snow White'' :lol: :lol: Classic Harbal.