x

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

The Woodster

x

Post by The Woodster »

X
Last edited by The Woodster on Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:33 am, edited 15 times in total.

Re: The Meaning of Life / by the New Messiah

Post by Age »

I have only read a small amount but so far I am enjoying this. I like the way you write. I wish I had your ability. You are able to explain a lot with few words. You write in a style that flows smoothly and is very easy to understand. Your choice to use common words and refrain from using completely unnecessary 'selective group mentality' rarely used type words is also very refreshing, especially in a forum like this one.

However, are you seeking feedback and/or criticism, or, are you just wanting to express only?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

The Woodster wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:37 pm "What, if any, is the purpose or Meaning of all Life?" - "Why are we here?" - "What doe's it all mean?"
Since only human being have purposes, that is, do anything with some objective or goal in mind, the question, as you have asked it, has no meaning. It assumes something teleological about existence, as though it exists with some end or goal in "mind." Existence itself has no purpose or goal, only individual human beings do.

"Why are we here?" is also a meaningless question. Perhaps you mean how did we get here, but even that question, though interesting is unimportant. What is important is that we are here and have the natures we have. How we got here does not change what is, and we can study what is without have to guess about what might have been.

I notice you lean heavily on the idea of evolution for your explanations. You are aware of the fact that it is impossible to study any supposed aspect of evolution itself. You cannot go back in time to study it. All you have is what is and the entire study of evolution is about what is, the artifacts and specimens that are here now. As I said, it is interesting to conjecture about how things got here, but all that really matters is what is here and its nature. It is silly to study what might have been to understand what definitely is.
I Like Sushu

Post by I Like Sushu »

Age -
However, are you seeking feedback and/or criticism, or, are you just wanting to express only?
If you’re granted a response I may bother to read the OP. At a glance it looks like someone may think themselves a prophet of sorts ushering in a new era of enlightenment - or they’ve gotten a little carried away with themselves after reading Nietzsche perhaps?
The Woodster

x

Post by The Woodster »

x
Last edited by The Woodster on Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Woodster

Re: The Meaning of Life

Post by The Woodster »

u
Last edited by The Woodster on Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

I Like Sushu wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:10 am Age -
If you’re granted a response I may bother to read the OP. At a glance it looks like someone may think themselves a prophet of sorts ushering in a new era of enlightenment - or they’ve gotten a little carried away with themselves after reading Nietzsche perhaps?
Just ctrl+f for the word "caucasian" and you have enough information to judge this theory. It's a highly teleological version of exactly what you describe, additions being weird racial flexing (these things aren't really improved any by blaming whitey instead of one of the other groups), a misunderstanding of DNA ('warrior gene' stuff), and a large helping of extremely dubious homespun historical assumptions.
The Woodster

x

Post by The Woodster »

x
Last edited by The Woodster on Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Woodster

x

Post by The Woodster »

x
Last edited by The Woodster on Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Like Sushu

Post by I Like Sushu »

The Woodster wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:16 pm I have devoted over 25 years into this overall theory, based upon many of my original ideas, and have published it here in the hope of receiving feedback and suggestions of possible improvement. If my theory proves to be correct then i believe that this could help people view the world with a new perspective and understanding. I also believe that if my theory is correct then i have no right to remain 'silent', but to share it with the world. This is only the tip of the iceberg, merely a simplified introduction into the extraordinary thoughts that i possess. Hopefully i will publish more here in the weeks to follow that will answer more questions about existence, and especially how about how our brains have evolved a method by which they attempt to virtually 'guess' what reality might actually look,sound,taste feel and smell like.
I’ll take a look see sometime then. I feared you were the type who was only interested in preaching and then neglecting any feedback.
FlashDangerpants

The Woodster wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:15 pm What misunderstanding of DNA do you refer to? The 'warrior gene' is real, and was mapped by the human genome scientists, and is only present in psychopathic individuals.
That is widly inaccurate. But it neatly sumarises your misunderstanding of DNA, which is a helpful time saver. Now nobody needs to read your opening post to get the gist of that issue.
The Woodster wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:15 pmI blame 'whitey' because the ice age only entrapped people of the northern hemisphere, and i believe this 30,000 yr period lead to the evolution of the psychopath, and the tyrannical leaders.
I am almost lost in admiration that you write that as if unaware that it is an entirely preposterous claim.
The Woodster wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:15 pmMankind has always been war-like, although no one really understands why, my theory provides a plausible explanation, and a description of the evolutionary error which occurred to cause this.
If you were really looking for an evolutionary explanation of that you would simply observe that mankind is descended from warlike animals and that question would be done with.
The Woodster wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:15 pmMy historical assumptions are based on my overall theory about what evolution was attempting to achieve, and how it has gone horribly wrong with homo-sapiens, and evolution's inability to correctly and safely process emotions.
Thus my reference to teleology. Your write up is basically a directionless description of a directional history. As such it is false advertising to claim your thing is based on evolution, it is in direct opposition to that theory.
The Woodster wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:15 pm Thank you for your feed-back, it's much appreciated - please read Prt 2, it all becomes clearer, i hope.
I presume that is to be the part where we learn that evolution was aware of its mistake all along and has sent you to us as the messenger to fix that?
The Woodster

x

Post by The Woodster »

x
Last edited by The Woodster on Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
FlashDangerpants

The Woodster wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:15 pm I do understand DNA, and evolutionary theory, thank-you. My idea that mankind's development was drastically effected by the ice-age, and that evolution inadvertently created the psychopath seems perfectly plausible. Also my idea that emotions, which originally evolved as survival instincts, cannot be correctly evolved, can be proven by demonstration. To suggest that mankind has always been warlike just because we evolved from 'warlike animals' is preposterous, and i'am sure psychologists have already dismissed that idea. What war-like animals do you mean?? Not predators surely. My theory that our war-like tendencies evolved through the development of the survival instinct of Greed, i believe is a valid and intelligent suggestion. The Neanderthals had lived in Europe for over 450 thousand years, and i believe they didn't inherit this emotion which was evolved solely within the tribes of the African homo-sapiens. Within 7 thousand years of contact the Neanderthals became extinct, and i believe homo-sapiens caused this due to their greed. Again i believe this is a plausible explanation. Finally, the idea that human-evolution has gone wrong, and has led to this world of greed, evil and war is a very original thought, one that i'am sure has never been contemplated by many people. The first step towards rectifying a problem is to recognise that there is a problem to begin with, only then can it be addressed. Evolution is unaware of the error, but i am. So yes Flash, i am the messenger.
Well you sure do pat yourself on the back a lot. Good luck with your theory, you need a lot of it.

Post by Age »

The Woodster wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:19 pm Thank you "Age" for taking the time to read it. I assure you that you will not be disappointed with Part 2
How assured were you that I will not be disappointed with Part 2?

Would you be upset if I informed you that your assurance did not work?

As for 'receiving feedback and suggestions of possible improvement', how open are you really?

From the use of the word 'possible' improvement, could you have been subtlety suggesting (completely unconsciously maybe?) that your writings could not possibly be improved upon?
The Woodster

x

Post by The Woodster »

x
Last edited by The Woodster on Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.