Philosophy Now Forum Suggestions Box

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re: Philosophy Now Forum Suggestions Box

Post by Dalek Prime »

Averroes wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:35 pm
Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:49 pm As a programmer, I like to keep things simple, is all I'm saying. I have enough languages to bothered with more.
Of course simplicity is always preferred in implementation but as far as possible not to the point of changing user requirements! Anyway, as a programmer all this configuration will probably take you at most 15 minutes, as nowadays I don't think any programmer can offord not to know some PHP or html or javascript! And learning the mathjax syntax would probably take anyone about some 30 minutes and I am being very generous here. This is just to say that the installation and use of mathjax is already aim to simplify things. It will only be a problem for one who does not have some programming skills. Here I was assuming it was the case of the management, and this is alright because if everyone could do their own programming, you would be out of work! :D
I am retired aka out of work. And if everyone could program, they'd make a hack job of it. Macro systems are much easier on my end anyways, if I'm too lazy to cut and paste. But I accept your suggestion for what it is.
Averroes

Post by Averroes »

Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:48 pm I am retired
Lucky you! :D
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Averroes wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:10 pm
Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:48 pm I am retired
Lucky you! :D
Too much silly in the industry these days, anyway. No patience for it anymore. I do still carry a love of languages, nonetheless. Always fun to play with, to pass time, and perhaps a bit of wind. :lol:

You are a programmer as well, I take it?
Averroes

Post by Averroes »

Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:12 pm You are a programmer as well, I take it?
Not in a professional capacity. When the need arise, I can find my way out of some problems with some patience and help from above.

But whatever the industry may be, I do find voluntary retirement an interesting concept in general! :D
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Averroes wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:27 pm
Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:12 pm You are a programmer as well, I take it?
Not in a professional capacity. When the need arise, I can find my way out of some problems with some patience and help from above.

But whatever the industry may be, I do find voluntary retirement an interesting concept in general! :D
I was the boss anyway, so retirement is just relaxing work, in a sense. No pressures.
Yrreg

Post by Yrreg »

This is not a suggestion, but an inquiry.

When I joined this forum I started a thread on, see texts in bold in quotation below.
Hobbes' Choice

Re: Hello, I am Yrreg lover of ideas and realities.

Post Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:23 pm

Yrreg wrote:
I am so glad to have found this forum, and I will start a new thread right away, on How to prove God exists.

I will report back here if and when I have successfully opened my thread on How to prove God exists.

It seems though that my present status imposes upon my posts that they be first approved by moderators.

Anyway, let me see what will happen when I click on the submit button below.
I cannot find that thread.

Does anyone know whether it came out or not, and please give me the link.

Thanks in advance for your help...
uwot

How to prove god exists

Post by uwot »

Yrreg

Re: How to prove god exists

Post by Yrreg »

uwot wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:33 pm Here ya go: https://forum.philosophynow.org/viewtop ... ts#p258630

Sorry, but that link does not lead to any thread on How to prove God exists.

So, at this point in time, I still have not seen my thread which was for me a way to find out whether the moderators here had allowed or dis-allowed my very first thread to come out.

Anyway, when I came back and started to post in the thread on "Prostitution and eternal values..." I have not met with any repression.

Thanks to the moderating powers that supervise posters here, I am happy that I have not been subjected to any suppression of posts from me that they had prevented from coming out.

By way of a suggestion: If the powers that manage things here, please if you feel that a post should not come out or should be deleted, please just leave the post already out, or not yet out, but for the post box for it to occupy, leave it empty: but with the message from you, dear moderators here, to the following effect:

"Post returned to author for revising."

That should get honest posters who are into productive contributions, to revise their repressed posts as to make them fit for coming out, with just the substance of their ideas without the objectionable say icing or garnish, is that okay?
-1-

Re: How to prove god exists

Post by -1- »

Yrreg wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:38 pm

Sorry, but that link does not lead to any thread on How to prove God exists.

So, at this point in time, I still have not seen my thread which was for me a way to find out whether the moderators here had allowed or dis-allowed my very first thread to come out.
Dear Yrreg, there is a clear-cut way of checking for your first post.

Click on the down-pointing triangle beside your username on the top of any page when you are logged on the Forums. A drop-down list will appear with three choices.

Click on the first (top) choice, "User control panel".

Click on "user's posts".

All your posts you've ever submitted to this forum and are now permanently present on it, will appear. Currently you have 18 posts, as is also indicated by the counter beside or behind your name on every post.

You can view all your posts, and decide whehter your first published post was allowed or not.

By the way: for this exercise, posts are posts are posts; they can be posts you affixed to an already existing thread, or they can be first posts (opening posts) in a thread.

I hope this helps.

If you don't see your opening post, you can also insert it now, by starting a new thread, and see what happens. If you have preserved a copy in your files you can cut-and-paste, if not, then you can compose the opening post again and post it.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Philosophy Tournament vs other Philosophy sites.
Dachshund

Re: FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION

Post by Dachshund »

Dear Admin/Moderators,

I would just like to say that I am impressed with the respect you demonstrate on this forum for the "right" to freedom of expression.

To explain. I have found that discussing the topic of race and IQ is strictly prohibited on most philosophy forums, and It does not matter whether or not one is presenting established facts validated by mainstream Western science and/or official opinions published by reputable professional organisations in a post, the subject matter is deemed wholly immoral and usually results in an automatic ban. For example, any attempt to discuss the issue of variation in average IQ across different racial populations, especially in conjunction with the claim (endorsed by the American Psychological Association) that human IQ is believed to have a relatively high heritability factor ( i.e; is believed to be substantially genetically determined) in adults is absolutely taboo. This kind of material is instantly condemned as (pseudo)-scientific racism of the Nazi kind and it's author is barred from the forum as a hate-mongering psychopath.

I realise that the racial genetics of intelligence (IQ) is a controversial and extremely sensitive political topic. I realise that many of the established scientific facts involved are very harsh and distressing (to say the least). However, I do not think that censoring debate on the issue is a wise policy, because scientific research in this field will continue, despite the aggressive political campaigns of those who wish to see it outlawed. In my opinion (which is based on the relevant mainstream scientific literature I have read) the IQ of adults is predominantly (60% to 80%) determined by genetic factors and we already know for a fact that the average IQ of the major racial/ethnic groups shows considerable variation, for instance, from the very low 60s for Australian Aboriginals and African Pygmies all the way up to 110-15 for Ashkenazi Jews. I might be proven wrong about the genetic contribution to adult IQ, but then again I might be proven right. The point is that we WILL know the truth of the matter one way or another in the not too distant future. And what would happen, if, one day that fateful scientific paper was published in the mainstream literature providing incontrovertible proof that adult IQ WAS INDEED predominantly genetically determined ?

I'll tell you. What would happen is that the whole roof of the Western establishment would suddenly come crashing violently down about it ears.

Anyway, I appreciate your letting me publish the posts I have on this issue, no one else would. Thank you for allowing me to express my thoughts on what is, (I know), a very unpleasant, but vitally important question.

Regards

Dachshund
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dachshund wrote:... I might be proven wrong about the genetic contribution to adult IQ, but then again I might be proven right. The point is that we WILL know the truth of the matter one way or another in the not too distant future. And what would happen, if, one day that fateful scientific paper was published in the mainstream literature providing incontrovertible proof that adult IQ WAS INDEED predominantly genetically determined ?
We'd let the Asians run everything as they consistently score higher on your vaunted IQ tests but when I pointed this out to you you made the claim that this was because they were American Asians so you clearly think genetics is not the be all and end all when it doesn't suit your purpose.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:22 am We'd let the Asians run everything as they consistently score higher on your vaunted IQ tests but when I pointed this out to you you made the claim that this was because they were American Asians so you clearly think genetics is not the be all and end all when it doesn't suit your purpose.
If we are going to be elitist about IQ, why stop there? There are Asians in the [0-145) (observe: inclusivity starts at 145 because <reasons>) IQ range also.

Those "idiots" shouldn't be allowed to run ANYTHING.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Butt let us wax metaphysical if you insist:

Are your are here? Or just a ghost.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

RickLewis wrote: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:00 pm This thread is for suggestions about the organisation and management of the Philosophy Now Forum.
Rick - the forum prior to the big change once had a GMT clock - time. I really miss that, and I am sure many that are not in the UK also do, any chance we can get that back?