How do we experience time?

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: How do we experience time?

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:05 pm Sorry, I missed this post too.
Age wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:20 pm
bahman wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:47 pm
yes. The rate changes depending on where is the experiencer. That is why I used the proper.

No, experiencers which are in the same gravitational field experience the same rate. Otherwise they experience different rate.

By proper I mean related to gravitation field.

Condition is it.

Because I think that brain has huge capacity to evolve further unless the smart one doesn't marry. Just think of huge literature which has been produced by human being. Change to our bodies doesn't seems necessary to me.

Yes.

Condition is the "thing".

I see what do you mean and I don't agree with it. Time is real. One of the latest experiment shows that the existence of gravitational wave which confirms that time is real too. Otherwise time doesn't wave.

I do experience time when I focus on it. My problem is how this experience constructed.

I don't know how time is constructed.

Yes. I already mentioned about gravitational wave.

Am i included in this 'we'?

If i am, then i would NOT say that I knew this before just now.
Yes. I didn't say "now" also.
Ok.
Age wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:09 am
This could also explain HOW and WHY what i stated about human beings experiencing change, but because of self-talk and how the brain works, some people BELIEVE that they are experiencing 'time' instead.
You in fact can experience time when you only focus on it. So you don't experience time but motion if your mind is busy with something else.
I agree.
bahman are you at all aware that you are replying to your own self here?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:44 am
Age wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:20 pm
Yes. I didn't say "now" also.
Ok.
You in fact can experience time when you only focus on it. So you don't experience time but motion if your mind is busy with something else.
I agree.
No. As far as I can see I am replying to you.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:27 pm
Age wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:44 am

Ok.

I agree.
No. As far as I can see I am replying to you.
If this is as far as you can see, then if i was you i would take another look and re-read it again.
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

We do not experience time. This point is made forcibly and often by the mathematician Hermann Weyl. He calls time as we use it in physics 'mathematical' and concludes it is a theory or fiction. He denies any experience of time. The absence of this experience, or 'what it is like' in the absence of any sensation of time, is well-explored by the mystics, who speak of the Perennial Now or Divine Instant.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

In a changing sequence, the variable X(n+1)= X(n) +1 is the increment to the function that follows. So as n goes from 1 to 1000 (for example) the function changes 1000 times.

In reality t(n+1) = t(n)+1 is a natural increment to almost every function in the universe. I say "almost" because time does not effect gravity.

How can there be a NATURAL increment? I may have a theory about that but even if I don't know, I know that a natural increment exists because t(n+1) = t(n)+0 would not increment the universe at all.

Is t(n+1)=t(n)+1 an abstraction. Of course it's an abstraction but numbers are an abstraction and they are useful. If my abstraction represents time correctly, then it is useful as well.

If you think time is an illusion then something (other than time) increments the universe but why not think time? Is there any other possibility?

Moreover, this analysis suggests that time travel is impossible because you can't go from t(6/4/2019) to any distant date because the increment is step wise and cannot be made to jump nor can you change the increment yourself. Besides, only one increment exists and that is for the whole universe. So if you could change the increment, you would change it for the whole universe. Good luck with that.
Last edited by jayjacobus on Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

We don't experience time and we can't experience its cause but we know it exists because it has an effect. Similarly we know gravity exists but we can't see gravity. We only know gravity by its effects. Someone might say that gravity is real but real what? We don't know.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

The universe does not dance to every movement and yet the universe is in sync. That doesn’t mean that there is only one movement but it does mean that every movement works well with every other movement.

To accomplish this there has to be one overall strain of music, a web of connecting matter or a mechanism we don’t see. Each of those possibilities should fall apart in the logical mind.

What’s left is time and, as far as I can see, only time.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Anything that travels below the speed of light will experience the effects of time
Particles such as photons that travel at the speed of light cannot experience this
surreptitious57

There could be different laws of physics for each universe so time travel could be possible within them
This however cannot be known because the observable universe is the only one that we have access to
surreptitious57

Gravity is the effect mass has on spacetime and the larger or denser an object of mass is the greater the effect will be
Black holes are the largest and densest objects in the observable universe so have the greatest gravitational attraction
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

surreptitious57 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:24 am Gravity is the effect mass has on spacetime and the larger or denser an object of mass is the greater the effect will be
Black holes are the largest and densest objects in the observable universe so have the greatest gravitational attraction

Force is one of the most difficult ideas to understand. If we didn’t see evidence of forces, they would seem like magic.

Gravity is not space-time fabric although it might be. But only if it can be experimentally determined.

How can matter have an attraction at all?

You only know the effect gravity has on you and matter. The interim effect on space-time is not an effect but a rationalization that may not be real?

I cannot experience space-time.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

surreptitious57 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:16 am There could be different laws of physics for each universe so time travel could be possible within them
This however cannot be known because the observable universe is the only one that we have access to
But what we do know is all the laws work together to make existance real.

No person can devise another universe because one error will make that universe impossible.

Our universe is plausible but what makes it possible?

Einstein and Newton and Darwin discovered the former but not the latter.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

jayjacobus wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:27 pm
surreptitious57 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:16 am There could be different laws of physics for each universe so time travel could be possible within them
But what we do know is all the laws work together to make existance real.

No person can devise another universe because one error will make that universe impossible.

Our universe is plausible but what makes it possible?

Einstein and Newton and Darwin discovered the former but not the latter.
"I hear the cottonwoods whispering above.

Tammy ..... Tammy ..... Tammy is in love."

How can that possibly be?

Either there is a God or Tammy is the luckiest girl in the whole universe.
bahman

Post by bahman »

I don't know about you but I can experience time when nothing is changing.
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

We do not experience time. This is explained by the physicist/philosopher Hermann Weyl in his books 'The Continuum' and 'Open World'.

He distinguishes between time as we treat it in maths and physics, which he calls 'mathematical' time, which is a fiction. and time as we actually know it, which he calls ''intuitive' time, which is also not experienced but constructed out of anticipations and memories.