Why are so many Americans pro-slavery & anti-abortion?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"There are real contradictions in PARTY positions that require explanation."

Mebbe so, but not every American is dedicated to party. In fact: I think most Americans, regardless of registration and affilliation, see 'party' as mechanism, not tribe.

#

"The political party platforms are what matters, not the fact that people vary in distinct parts of ideologies. Also most of the people regardless are NOT running the parties, the wealthy are. And it is among the differences in THEIR interests that SET the agendas and attempt to mold the rest as pawns."

see above

#

"If you still maintain your view, explain the justification for Evangelical and Fundamentalist religions universally being linked to the right while the more Liberal religions associate with the left."

I'm not evangelical, or fundamentalist: if you're lookin' for defenses or explanations, go to them. I will only say: you greatly over-estimate the influences of the 'religious right' on the American populace, the bulk of which is more of a 'practical libertarian' than anything else.

#

"Explain the differences between the Republican versus Democratic distinction"

I'm not a repub or dem. I'll say this, however: the 'war' between the two is largely imaginary, generated by crap meisters, and 'you' ought not let yourself be taken in by the folderol.

#

"Capitalist versus Communist"

As a free enterpriser: I see little difference between state capitalism and state communism/socilaism.

#

"Conservative versus Progressive"

I'm a natural-rights, minarchy-favorin', libertarian. Conservative, progressive: two sides of the same tarnished coin, to me.

#

"The left and right terms above associate to their literal left-right political ideologies."

Which most Americans have no slavish devotion to.

#

"The religious of both sides are the power behind the scenes that get used to manipulate the pawns of their own side and to counter the pawns of the other. The game is being played in ways that are contrary and contradictory to a closed system of rationality without noticing these distinctions."

It's a game most Americans are awfully tired of. That's one of the reasons Trump got hired.
henry quirk

"USA is VERY religious"

Post by henry quirk »

Not really, no.
henry quirk

phil

Post by henry quirk »

I missed when you asked: "And what about the innocents getting executed?"

Yes, what about the innocents, in-womb, who get offed for no good reason?
Immanuel Can

Re: it 'is' relevant

Post by Immanuel Can »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:08 pm And: no, 'slavery' doesn't figure into any discussion of either abortion or the death penalty.
Certainly slavery has no comparison with abortion, except that in both cases somebody who is clearly human is treated as if he/she is not. That would be the only commonality. But that also explains why Democrats have historically been both pro-slavery and pro-abortion.

And it suggests why the Republicans and anti-Democrats (like Classical Liberals and Libertarians, and certain kind of religious groups as well) have tended to be anti-slavery and anti-abortion: they value human life in an intrinsic way.
Immanuel Can

Re: "USA is VERY religious"

Post by Immanuel Can »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:17 pm Not really, no.
It's more than Canada or the UK, but not nearly so much as the press wants people in Europe to believe.

They like to portray "Trumpland" the central states, as uniformly religious and conservative, though it's decidedly not. It's just more conservative and religious, on average, than the secularists in Europe would like it to be...which is to say, "one is too many," in their view.
henry quirk

Mannie

Post by henry quirk »

:thumbsup:
Kayla

Re: Why are so many Americans pro-slavery & anti-abortion?

Post by Kayla »

philosopher wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:40 pmWhich arguments do you put forth in defense for re-instating slavery (or wanted to keep it in the first place)?
i dont know if anyone outside of the craziest alt-right fringe is in favor of slavery outright - but we do get more and more voices suggesting that slavery was not so bad - and that descendants of african slaves should be thankful to white people that they live in the USA and not some shithole african country
Alot of americans are also "pro life", meaning they are anti-abortion. But pro-life only extends to the life inside the woman's body, not when it lives by its own. Say the child gets ill, there's no tax paid health care. Also pro-life does not extend to abolishment of the death penalty.
i rather doubt if great many americans are unequivocally prolife

if the following proposal were put to a referendum i suspect it would pass by a handy margin in usa

first trimester - abortion available on demand
second trimester - abortion available with some questions asked
third trimster - abortion available with LOTS of questions asked

unfortunately the crazies on both sides dominate the discussion

we have the fundamentalist christians who inisist that a single cell is a fully fledged human

and we have the pro-choice people who insist that there should be no questions asked for abortions later in third trimester - and that sex-selective abortion should be allowed

But yea, pro lifers being pro life but not pro socialized medicine is an extra level of crazy