Moderators: AMod, iMod

-1-

Re: Plato was an atheist?

Post by -1- »

I'm rooting for you, uwot!
-1-

Post by -1- »

Impenitent wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:11 am "There is no original text" - Nietzsche

-Imp
"I am the Alpha and the Omega" - God (Just saying...)
-1-

Post by -1- »

-1- wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:57 am
slowthinker84 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:38 pm Hi, there, just wanted to know if Plato was an atheist. I tried searching on the net for the answer but did not find the answer so I came here.
According to the presiding court, which sentenced him to death, he had been teaching radical ideas to youth, including atheism, which got him the chair.

But in his defence, Plato said he believed in demi-gods, which is logically impossible to conceive, if there were no gods.

The jury did not buy this. He had to drink hemlock.

What Plato believed about gods was his own business. But if you want to know, he enjoyed praying, his belly-button licked, poetry, light housework (no ironing), knitting and putting away fruit compote.
Well, what do you know. I mixed up Plato and Socrates.

My ole' Philosophy teacher in grade three is turning in his grave.

I brought shame upon me, my head, my family and my nation - nay, upon the entire litarate western culture.

I shalt sit in ashes, and rent and tear my clothes and howl at the empty moon with darkened tongue.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

slowthinker84 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:38 pm Hi, there, just wanted to know if Plato was an atheist. I tried searching on the net for the answer but did not find the answer so I came here.
According to the presiding court, which sentenced him to death, he had been teaching radical ideas to youth, including atheism, which got him the chair.

But in his defence, Plato said he believed in demi-gods, which is logically impossible to conceive, if there were no gods.

What Plato believed about gods was his own business. But if you want to know, he enjoyed praying, his belly-button licked, poetry, light housework (no ironing), knitting and putting away fruit compote.
your post of Platos fate was is the same as Socratis - i was not informed that Plato was executed.

maybe you error in the Plato/Socratise thing( diff men with diff fates and you error in equating them as the same prior man Socratise), or i'm just ignorant of Plato's fate?.which if what you say is true was the same as his mentor.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

uwot wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:39 am yer kinda killed any chance of dialogue.
yep, thus the need for a counter argument/vision.

just saying "you are wrong" does not offer a supperior vision.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:51 am

Well, what do you know. I mixed up Plato and Socrates.

My ole' Philosophy teacher in grade three is turning in his grave.

I brought shame upon me, my head, my family and my nation - nay, upon the entire litarate western culture.

I shalt sit in ashes, and rent and tear my clothes and howl at the empty moon with darkened tongue.
refer to my prior post - befor i read this one. owning up give you credit!

yes, shame upon you Sir! - now you have repented and humbled, and with contritness, can re-join us other mortals in disscussing Plato's fate.

.............is there a record of his death? - if not, i think we can assume he died in peace like Aristotle (they were contempories - i find it odd that there is no (AFAIK) of the other from either (prob likely were was - and works/mention of fellow disiples of Socratise were lost forever via alexander library burning.

i'm too fking lazy to spell check - bying dyslexic - you can figure it out.
-1-

Post by -1- »

gaffo wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:08 am .............is there a record of his death?
I'm pretty sure we don't need that record to be sure that he is dead.

The only two people who survived their own deaths --- not via resurrection, but by simply not dying, in many people's fear, hope, and belief --- are Adolf Hitler and Elvis Presley.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

-1- wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:47 am
Impenitent wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:11 am "There is no original text" - Nietzsche

-Imp
"I am the Alpha and the Omega" - God (Just saying...)
"human language credited to god... obey" - (Just saying...)

-Imp
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:42 am
gaffo wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:08 am .............is there a record of his death?
I'm pretty sure we don't need that record to be sure that he is dead.

The only two people who survived their own deaths --- not via resurrection, but by simply not dying, in many people's fear, hope, and belief --- are Adolf Hitler and Elvis Presley.
and Jim Morrison.

but more to your point - negating those persons. i think your reply would be more apt of the names are Enoch and Elijah.

thanks for reply nonetheless.