I dont fully understand how to apply the second step of the socratic method, PLEASE HELP!

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

slowthinker84

I dont fully understand how to apply the second step of the socratic method, PLEASE HELP!

Post by slowthinker84 »

I have decided to use a Socratic method youtube video to find or discover my life's purpose however I just don't understand how to do the second step so I cant go any further with this until I do. Could you perhaps provide a different way of saying how to do step 2? is step 2 just asking you to form any question based on the definition or idea in step one? the video is located here, please view it or at least view where it explains the second step of the socratic method>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB4MYGInRl4
Harbal

Re: I dont fully understand how to apply the second step of the socratic method, PLEASE HELP!

Post by Harbal »

slowthinker84 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:14 pm I have decided to use a Socratic method youtube video to find or discover my life's purpose however I just don't understand how to do the second step so I cant go any further with this until I do. Could you perhaps provide a different way of saying how to do step 2? is step 2 just asking you to form any question based on the definition or idea in step one? the video is located here, please view it or at least view where it explains the second step of the socratic method>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB4MYGInRl4
I know the brief amount you've written in your post isn't a lot to go on, but it's enough to make me wonder if your life has any purpose. Maybe you should reassess it before you wrestle with step 2, lest doing so turns out to be unnecessary.
HexHammer

Re: I dont fully understand how to apply the second step of the socratic method, PLEASE HELP!

Post by HexHammer »

slowthinker84 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:14 pmCould you perhaps provide a different way of saying how to do step 2? is step 2 just asking you to form any question based on the definition or idea in step one?
I think it's futile, we need more information about your life, your education, ambitions, experience etc etc.

You can't really apply logical reasoning to your situation, since it requires both experience and high intellect to do so, the Socratioan logical method only deals with rudimentary linear logic which most fails at using for something relevant.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

second step?

Socrates didn't even know the first step...

but neither did Sargent Shultz...

-Imp
slowthinker84

Post by slowthinker84 »

HexHammer wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:12 am
slowthinker84 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:14 pmCould you perhaps provide a different way of saying how to do step 2? is step 2 just asking you to form any question based on the definition or idea in step one?
I think it's futile, we need more information about your life, your education, ambitions, experience etc etc.

You can't really apply logical reasoning to your situation, since it requires both experience and high intellect to do so, the Socratioan logical method only deals with rudimentary linear logic which most fails at using for something relevant.
thankyou all for the fast responces. I dont mind giving you information about my life if it helps, ask away. If you need my answer for step 1, i dont mind sharing it here however it might not be apropriate for this forum and if it is, i could pm message you it on this forum.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

slowthinker84 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:49 pm If you need my answer for step 1, i dont mind sharing it here however it might not be apropriate for this forum and if it is, i could pm message you it on this forum.
HexHammer thrives on helping folk with their personal issues, he has got a reputation for it here. This sort of thing is right up his street; I can't speak for him, but I feel sure he would be only too pleased for you to mail him all the details of your private life and your anxieties. Hex is the first one many of us here turn to in times of crisis.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Harbal wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:02 pmHexHammer thrives on helping folk with their personal issues, he has got a reputation for it here. This sort of thing is right up his street; I can't speak for him, but I feel sure he would be only too pleased for you to mail him all the details of your private life and your anxieties. Hex is the first one many of us here turn to in times of crisis.
Harbal is such a joker!
vegetariantaxidermy

Re:

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

:lol:
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Harbal wrote:
HexHammer thrives on helping folk with their personal issues he has got a reputation for it here. This sort of thing is right up his street I
cant speak for him but I feel sure he would be only too pleased for you to mail him all the details of your private life and your anxieties
Hex is the first one many of us here turn to in times of crisis
Hex Hammer the resident agony uncle / armchair psychologist of Philosophy Now
He offers free impartial advice - no problem too big or too small - Hex is the man
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Harbal wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:02 pm
slowthinker84 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:49 pm If you need my answer for step 1, i dont mind sharing it here however it might not be apropriate for this forum and if it is, i could pm message you it on this forum.
HexHammer thrives on helping folk with their personal issues, he has got a reputation for it here. This sort of thing is right up his street; I can't speak for him, but I feel sure he would be only too pleased for you to mail him all the details of your private life and your anxieties. Hex is the first one many of us here turn to in times of crisis.
Please take care to submit all requests in the appropriate format. Babble must always precede nonsense, otherwise submission will be rejected without consideration.
slowthinker84

Post by slowthinker84 »

Hi, I don't understand what flashdangerpants by format. could someone explain what he means by format?
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

slowthinker84 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:33 pm Hi, I don't understand what flashdangerpants by format. could someone explain what he means by format?
That was an inside joke, I wouldn't worry about it.

What the dude in your video is on about for that second step is a test for completeness. So you come up with an proposed definition of a thing in step one, then in step two you look for one way in which it isn't complete, and then in step three you revise the deinition. Then you have a new proposed def that may or may not yet be complete.

So if you want to decide the purpose of your life in the way Socrates would do the...
1. I like cheese, perhaps the purpose of life is cheddar.
2. Is a life of nothing but cheddar complete? What about Gruyere you heathen???
3. Good point, obviously the purpose of life is to have a good selection of cheeses.

I can't honestly recommend turning to philosophy in search of a purpose to existence.
Systematic

Post by Systematic »

slowthinker84 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:14 pm I have decided to use a Socratic method youtube video to find or discover my life's purpose however I just don't understand how to do the second step so I cant go any further with this until I do. Could you perhaps provide a different way of saying how to do step 2? is step 2 just asking you to form any question based on the definition or idea in step one? the video is located here, please view it or at least view where it explains the second step of the socratic method>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB4MYGInRl4
Your personal life's purpose is not to be discovered by the Socratic Method. Socratic Method is a tool for finding principle truths, not personal purpose. Your personal purpose is important to know, and I suggest you figure it out for your sake. But Socrates would have more asked what is the good, rather than what is good for you personally.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Systematic wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:21 pm
Your personal life's purpose is not to be discovered by the Socratic Method. Socratic Method is a tool for finding principle truths, not personal purpose. Your personal purpose is important to know, and I suggest you figure it out for your sake. But Socrates would have more asked what is the good, rather than what is good for you personally.
Soooo... the good is not good enough for everyone?

What good is the good if it's not good?
-1-

Post by -1- »

"I dont fully understand how to apply the second step of the socratic method, PLEASE HELP!" -- original post of original poster

Don't listen to these guys. Listen to me.

How to do the second step? You put on "Strangers in the Night", and a one, a two, a three, left foot forward quarter beat, right foot sideways quarter beat, left foot closing half a beat, right foot backward quarter beat, left foot sideways, quarter beat, right foot closing half a beat.

This is the official steps to the Socratic Method. I learned it personally from Socrates. Kostas Alexoupoupoulous Socrates, the owner of "Stars on Dance Floor" dance academy.