Is There such a reality as non-X for any and every X?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Scott Mayers
Posts: 1409
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:53 am
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Is There such a reality as non-X for any and every X?

Post by Scott Mayers » Mon May 13, 2019 8:24 am

As the title is asking, does the statement that....

There is such a reality as non-X for any and every X.

...stand true universally? (as a Tautology for reality)

mickthinks
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:10 am
Location: Augsburg

Re: Is There such a reality as non-X for any and every X?

Post by mickthinks » Mon May 13, 2019 9:08 am

I think not.

Would you want it to?

commonsense
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Is There such a reality as non-X for any and every X?

Post by commonsense » Mon May 13, 2019 3:54 pm

Scott Mayers wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:24 am
As the title is asking, does the statement that....

There is such a reality as non-X for any and every X.

...stand true universally? (as a Tautology for reality)
In a universe where for every X there is a non-X, there is a reality such that there is a non-X for any and every X.

Scott Mayers
Posts: 1409
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:53 am
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Re: Is There such a reality as non-X for any and every X?

Post by Scott Mayers » Mon May 13, 2019 10:01 pm

mickthinks wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:08 am
I think not.

Would you want it to?
Can you provide an example?

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4063
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Is There such a reality as non-X for any and every X?

Post by Harbal » Mon May 13, 2019 10:09 pm

Scott Mayers wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:01 pm
Can you provide an example?
Yes, if I can find a little bottle.

Scott Mayers
Posts: 1409
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:53 am
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Re: Is There such a reality as non-X for any and every X?

Post by Scott Mayers » Mon May 13, 2019 11:23 pm

Harbal wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:09 pm
Scott Mayers wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:01 pm
Can you provide an example?
Yes, if I can find a little bottle.
"Example", not "sample". :lol:

Scott Mayers
Posts: 1409
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:53 am
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Re: Is There such a reality as non-X for any and every X?

Post by Scott Mayers » Tue May 14, 2019 1:04 am

commonsense wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:54 pm
Scott Mayers wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:24 am
As the title is asking, does the statement that....

There is such a reality as non-X for any and every X.

...stand true universally? (as a Tautology for reality)
In a universe where for every X there is a non-X, there is a reality such that there is a non-X for any and every X.
I had to look back at this because I thought you were just repeating what I wrote. Ha ha.

I'm asking if a complement exists for every possible thing you can think of? I think it simplifies a question about another issue but I want to see if there is anything that might limit this that I haven't thought of. I'm looking for a possible counter example.

commonsense
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Is There such a reality as non-X for any and every X?

Post by commonsense » Tue May 14, 2019 2:03 pm

Scott Mayers wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:04 am
commonsense wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:54 pm
Scott Mayers wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:24 am
As the title is asking, does the statement that....

There is such a reality as non-X for any and every X.

...stand true universally? (as a Tautology for reality)
In a universe where for every X there is a non-X, there is a reality such that there is a non-X for any and every X.
I had to look back at this because I thought you were just repeating what I wrote. Ha ha.

I'm asking if a complement exists for every possible thing you can think of? I think it simplifies a question about another issue but I want to see if there is anything that might limit this that I haven't thought of. I'm looking for a possible counter example.
Aren’t you really trying to prove a negative?

Scott Mayers
Posts: 1409
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:53 am
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Re: Is There such a reality as non-X for any and every X?

Post by Scott Mayers » Wed May 15, 2019 3:57 am

commonsense wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:03 pm
Scott Mayers wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:04 am
commonsense wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:54 pm


In a universe where for every X there is a non-X, there is a reality such that there is a non-X for any and every X.
I had to look back at this because I thought you were just repeating what I wrote. Ha ha.

I'm asking if a complement exists for every possible thing you can think of? I think it simplifies a question about another issue but I want to see if there is anything that might limit this that I haven't thought of. I'm looking for a possible counter example.
Aren’t you really trying to prove a negative?
I figure this statement suffices (if there is no X without a complement) to argue this:

Let X = Absolutely Nothing.

Then non-(Absolutely Nothing) exists necessarily. That is, we have at least Absolutely Something necessarily for absolutely nothing sufficiently.

We also have, making X = Absolutely Something, a non-X = Absolutely Nothing. This implies that

Absolutely Nothing exists if and only if Absolutely Something Exists.

If this doesn't follow, I need to determine what I might be missing or at least get confirmation of others on this. It doesn't mean that I'd require abandoning it but I'm trying to see if I it is essential to make it a 'postulate' or if it stands as a universal reality without a need to postulate it.

commonsense
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Is There such a reality as non-X for any and every X?

Post by commonsense » Wed May 15, 2019 5:19 pm

Scott Mayers wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:57 am
commonsense wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:03 pm
Scott Mayers wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:04 am


I had to look back at this because I thought you were just repeating what I wrote. Ha ha.

I'm asking if a complement exists for every possible thing you can think of? I think it simplifies a question about another issue but I want to see if there is anything that might limit this that I haven't thought of. I'm looking for a possible counter example.
Aren’t you really trying to prove a negative?
I figure this statement suffices (if there is no X without a complement) to argue this:

Let X = Absolutely Nothing.

Then non-(Absolutely Nothing) exists necessarily. That is, we have at least Absolutely Something necessarily for absolutely nothing sufficiently.

We also have, making X = Absolutely Something, a non-X = Absolutely Nothing. This implies that

Absolutely Nothing exists if and only if Absolutely Something Exists.

If this doesn't follow, I need to determine what I might be missing or at least get confirmation of others on this. It doesn't mean that I'd require abandoning it but I'm trying to see if I it is essential to make it a 'postulate' or if it stands as a universal reality without a need to postulate it.
Solid. Good job.

Impenitent
Posts: 2399
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Is There such a reality as non-X for any and every X?

Post by Impenitent » Wed May 15, 2019 11:05 pm

the tic tac toe board shows 5 Xs and only 4 non-Xs

-Imp

commonsense
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Is There such a reality as non-X for any and every X?

Post by commonsense » Thu May 16, 2019 4:11 pm

Impenitent wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:05 pm
the tic tac toe board shows 5 Xs and only 4 non-Xs

-Imp
True, but let’s consider this:

For every tic-tac-toe board with 5 Xs there is a tic-tac-toe board with 5 non-Xs.

Are we to look at the contents or the totality?

Impenitent
Posts: 2399
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Is There such a reality as non-X for any and every X?

Post by Impenitent » Fri May 17, 2019 3:00 am

commonsense wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:11 pm
Impenitent wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:05 pm
the tic tac toe board shows 5 Xs and only 4 non-Xs

-Imp
True, but let’s consider this:

For every tic-tac-toe board with 5 Xs there is a tic-tac-toe board with 5 non-Xs.

Are we to look at the contents or the totality?
for a tic-tac-toe board, the ratio is always 5:4 as there are only 9 spaces

-Imp

Age
Posts: 3594
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: Is There such a reality as non-X for any and every X?

Post by Age » Fri May 17, 2019 9:03 am

Scott Mayers wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:57 am
commonsense wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:03 pm
Scott Mayers wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:04 am


I had to look back at this because I thought you were just repeating what I wrote. Ha ha.

I'm asking if a complement exists for every possible thing you can think of? I think it simplifies a question about another issue but I want to see if there is anything that might limit this that I haven't thought of. I'm looking for a possible counter example.
Aren’t you really trying to prove a negative?
I figure this statement suffices (if there is no X without a complement) to argue this:

Let X = Absolutely Nothing.

Then non-(Absolutely Nothing) exists necessarily. That is, we have at least Absolutely Something necessarily for absolutely nothing sufficiently.

We also have, making X = Absolutely Something, a non-X = Absolutely Nothing. This implies that

Absolutely Nothing exists if and only if Absolutely Something Exists.

If this doesn't follow, I need to determine what I might be missing or at least get confirmation of others on this. It doesn't mean that I'd require abandoning it but I'm trying to see if I it is essential to make it a 'postulate' or if it stands as a universal reality without a need to postulate it.
There can either be some thing OR no thing, only. Or, there can be some thing/s AND no thing/s.

There IS, OBVIOUSLY, some things (matter) and no things (a space between and/or around matter). Nothing needs to be postulated here.

Space AND matter co-exist together, FOREVER. If they both exist, then HAVE TO co-exist, ALWAYS. This means that some thing AND no thing have ALWAYS existed together.

This knowledge leads to, dare I say it, "a theory" of Everything, which the conclusion of will be something like: EVERY thing has an opposite, in equilibrium.

Consciousness of matter exists, therefore absolutely some thing exists. And, if Absolutely Something exists (consciously), then Absolutely Nothing exists also.

Like I was saying earlier, there could be an infinite expanse of Absolutely Nothing or an infinite expanse on of One thing, but either way there could NOT be change, and, if there was consciousness of that that also could NOT change. The Truth is different - there ARE some things (matter) and there IS no thing (space), and there IS change. Therefore, space AND matter are the two fundamental things that co-existed always.

That is in the highest of likelihood of probabilities not in sound, valid argument form, but any one who has studied 'logic' in a philosophy course could probably put that into a sound and valid argument form.

User avatar
A_Seagull
Posts: 872
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:09 pm

Re: Is There such a reality as non-X for any and every X?

Post by A_Seagull » Sat May 18, 2019 4:41 am

Scott Mayers wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:24 am
As the title is asking, does the statement that....

There is such a reality as non-X for any and every X.

...stand true universally? (as a Tautology for reality)
What reality?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 2 guests