Hello from Me

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

PeteJ

Hello from Me

Post by PeteJ »

Hello folks. I've been subscribing for a year but somehow missed the forum.

I'm an OAP from West Yorkshire who spent most of his time in and around the music biz but took up philosophy at age fifty and now writes about it.

I look forward to some interesting discussions.
Immanuel Can

Re: Hello from Me

Post by Immanuel Can »

PeteJ wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:29 pm Hello folks. I've been subscribing for a year but somehow missed the forum.

I'm an OAP from West Yorkshire who spent most of his time in and around the music biz but took up philosophy at age fifty and now writes about it.

Welcome to the circus, P.
-1-

Post by -1- »

PeteJ wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:29 pm Hello folks. I've been subscribing for a year but somehow missed the forum.

What does OAP stand for? It's a big language, English is.

And what country has West Yorkshire? It's a big world, the Earth Globe.

Welcome to the forums, the big world of infinite variety of schizophrenics.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Don't worry, Pete, -1- is teasing. He can google OAP and West Yorkshire if he want to.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Pete, Belinda is right. I could google OAP, and West Yorkshire. So I did a Google on OAP.

The first seven hits returned Ontario Autism Program.

Then I went into Wikipaedia. Here's the finding from them:

"OAP may refer to:

OAP Tower, or Osaka Amenity Park Tower, plaza and office developments in Japan,
Old Age Pensioner (also: Old Age Person) - a person who has retired, and now collects a pension
One Australia policy - a proposal in the 1980s to limit Asian immigration to Australia
Open access (publishing) - A type of academic publication accessible by all, without fees
Offset Alpine Printing
Off-Axis Parabolic reflector, a type of curved mirror used in optics and radio"

As you see, it is not a one-to-one correspondence between abbreviation and actual wish of what you want to say.

If you ask me, you are an off-axis parabolic reflector. You said it yourself: you are an OAP.

I am a firm believer in clear, unambiguous communication. I don't like to use or read abbreviations that are outside the realm of globally accepted household expressions, such as USA, MSG, PoW, or TKO.

You'll never see me write ODSP, MP, MPP, or GTA which are in everyday use of Canadian media and conversation, because I am aware of their being locally understood only, and meaningless outside of Canada.

So when you write your posts, it would be very helpful for others to know what the heck it is that you are talking about, without your readers needing to consult Wikipaedia.

I was not teasing. I was just lazy, and I was annoyed, for you put the onus on me for trying to decipher your meaning, which was clear to your locality, but incomprehensible outside of it. I think you ought to have precognized that.

I wish to put the onus back on you: If you want to be read, if you want to be a courteous communicator, then I suggest you don't send your readers all over Google just to understand two simple sentences written by you.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

I don't know "TKO".

I agree with -1- about clarity; the more, the better.

Got it ! Technical knockout (boxing context)
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Hi, nice to meet you. What part of the music business are you referring to? If you play, what instruments?
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

-1- wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:43 pm

What does OAP stand for? It's a big language, English is.

And what country has West Yorkshire? It's a big world, the Earth Globe.

Welcome to the forums, the big world of infinite variety of schizophrenics.
From Urban Dictionary search for "OAP"
Urban Dictionary wrote:OAP
Accepted United Kingdom shortened form of Old Age Pensioner (OAP) and used on official documents in this form. This national agreed defination is also valid in Wales and with a degree of miss-pronunication valid in Scotland.

I'm an OAP but I can understand your site
West Yorkshire is somewhere in Northern England and the hint of the above suggests it is close to or borders on Scotland.
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

Good grief. This must be a philosophy site.

Thanks for the welcome Bellinda and Scott, and -I- for reminding me of the impossibility of avoiding trouble on philosophy sites. In case there is any doubt West Yorkshire is in England, just north of France, and OAP stands for 'On Another Planet'.

Scott- These days classical guitar is my thing. Past times were spent in the studio as an engineer or as CEO of a small music/media biz.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

PeteJ wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:29 pmI'm an OAP from West Yorkshire
I'm from South Yorkshire but I'm not an OAP yet, I still have two years of training to do before I qualify.

South Yorkshire is underneath and slightly to the right of West Yorkshire, before anyone asks.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

PeteJ wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:14 am Good grief. This must be a philosophy site.

Thanks for the welcome Bellinda and Scott, and -I- for reminding me of the impossibility of avoiding trouble on philosophy sites. In case there is any doubt West Yorkshire is in England, just north of France, and OAP stands for 'On Another Planet'.

Scott- These days classical guitar is my thing. Past times were spent in the studio as an engineer or as CEO of a small music/media biz.
Cool. I also play classic guitar too and more. Music is my escape from intense thinking and I'm also using it to try to exercise my memory. I'm at the age that farsightedness is affecting me though and it's frustrating trying to read music. (That's where I thought of trying to memorize the scores as a means to also hopefully improve on that.)
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

Harbal. Good to see some Yorkshire folk here.

Scott - and some CGers. I know what you mean about eyesight. It's an instrument best played from memory anyway. It's a wonderful companion as one sinks into decrepitude.