Why is nazism popular today?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: Why is nazism popular today?

Post by gaffo »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:11 am I don't have direct access to your inner working Gary. Of course you can be a racist without using naughty words or burning any crosses at all, all you have to do is believe that you know what a person is like before finding out using skin colour as a determinant.

I'm not sure how some hand-wringing excercise about society and prejudice on a universal scale beyond the cognition of mere mortals was ever supposed to be a critique of me calling a cranky old race-warrior a racist. There's plenty to unpack in the legacy of the many bigotries we have inherited through ancestry that we aren't, and probably can't, perfectly dismount from. But that's a complaint about history and as such not terribly relevant to an essay on Daschund, who is just a boring old nazi passing himself off rather clumsily as a jovial uncle Fuhrer.

Your comments on racism being unfounded are misguided. You are talking about it being understandable under the circumstances, which is very different to being supported by facts about dna and heritable traits.

I would suggest you sit down with yourself and think through what you really want to do with that inundation thing. I can't tell what you are after here. Daschund has a fix for your anxieties - he predictably doesn't believe races should mix at all and would like there to be whites only nations. But he doesn't think black and brown people deserve to live in democracies at all. You seem to be concerned that people want to reflect historical injustices back at us. Perhaps all these people of colour would prefer to just live their lives like everyone else, and aren't all that obsessed with getting back at you for old stuff. There comes a point at which you need to consider these are people, not hordes.

As for the Africa stuff. We seem to have discussed Frantz Fanon a few times already. Perhaps it is finally time for you take the plunge and actually read the wretched of the earth. The gloomy description of the left over violence at the end of the decolonization process, along with who it puts in power and how they will cope with governing has proven rather accurate. That doesn't mean it's the end of the story, it just describes the next set of problems that require addressing.
i recommend a nice viewing of Battle for Algiers of the anti-colonial view per north africa. excellent movie! The French were the worst BTW. they had it coming to them
gaffo

Re: Re:

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:59 pm
gaffo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:07 am
correct me if i an wrong Sir.
Get me a stick, you rapscallion. I'll correct you you'll never forget.
thank you Sir! may i have another?!
gaffo

Re: Re:

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:02 pm
gaffo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:16 am
-1- wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:06 pm

I don't know about the UK. In Canada the armed forces are under the direct control of Shlomo Goldstein, the local shakter from Dohány Utca.
ignoring your flippant answer and to answer my inquary about YOUR Nation's gov (I guess i know more about Canada then you do Sir - though I'm an American and you are Canadian!).

The Governor General of Canada is also the Commander-in-Chief of the Canadian Armed Forces.

that being:

Julie Payette

----------

good day.
Julie? She couldn't order a mosquito to be squashed.

She's impotent as far as war-things are concerned.

There is NOMINAL power and ACTUAL power.

To be honest, I don't know who in Canada holds the actual power to, for instance, order an invasion of Lesotho or of Bhutan or of Andorra.
I showed you the link from your own gov website! its says the GG has the power to call up your Armed Forces.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:12 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:25 pm Meh. He's actually right, though. This world is his apple and for people like him. "Diversity" is the name of the game if you want to make it in the fast lane of the global marketplace and work for the big corporations. Nothing is going to change that. If you or I ever got into power, it would be a disaster. Let's be honest. It's probably best we don't push our way into where we don't belong.
You just love to climb up on that cross and get you some of that self pity don't you?
lol, concur.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:49 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:58 am
FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:23 pm

And who was the 'he' in your post then?
You. And I was actually saying you were right. So no idea what you are in a huff about.
Ok, so we've answered the question about whether that post had anything to do with me, and I can't see why you attempted so clumsily to mislead me.

Let's further this lesson in basic honesty. You weren't writing about how I persuaded you that it is invalid to equivocate between Dachsund's hyperactive white supremacist rantings and some general anxiety about us white people inheriting privileges stolen from prior generations of Africans and Indians. You have no chance of arguing this point on logical grounds though because it's fairly straightfoward truth. But sadly you cannot agree with me without feeling sorry for yourself.

You were writing about how depleted you feel in a changing world where whiteness confers fewer unfair benefits than it used to, and you just used me as a totem for all the people who don't feel that way - apparently we all work for big corporations. And then you wrapped it up with a little whine about having to just learn your place.

You can't possibly sell that line of resentful humility as an actual agreement. You are trapped in your passive agression and self pity. Historically, neither of these things has ever worked with me, except perhaps as some form of mild laxative. I don't think they have ever worked for you in any other context though, any pity you buy by sulking is just reinforcement for self destructive behaviour.
I speak only for myself, as a white, tall, fairly charismatic, and decently good looking man - in America, those born facts have given me unearned advantage. I'm mindful of this. and thankful.

I have no guilt for the above for i did not ask for those things, nor to they define my character.

I'm mindful than short, ugly, gay, black women drew the short stick in their birth in our modern society, and so do not disparage them for it - in fact i know they have to work harder to overcome when i never had to to even get started in life.

nor do i give them a pass on character, if they are asshats ill call them out as fast as the white, tall, handsome, staight guy asshat!
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:28 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:40 pm "Self pity"??? I have clinical depression. What's up next, kicking people in wheel chairs?
That's not the only thing you have though. You have facts that you know, speculations that you suspect, and the ability to advance and then defend claims based on the preceding. You have choices that you can make, and you are well aware of your depression and its effects on those choices. In short, you have what you need to participate in debate and assess responses, counter or conceed, all without special pleading.

Not everybody here has that full quota of options.

If you dig a little way through this forum you will find a weird conversation where one guy accuses another guy of being too autistic to understand something written by a thrid guy. If you can locate a three sided coin you might as well flip it to determine which among the three should fling that at which of the other two. Of those nameless three, one is more than capable of debate at the level to be found here, although his unusual proclivities provoke quite a lot of personal abuse, the other two.... not so much tbh.

And there are plenty of others around these parts who appear neurotypical but have compulsive disorders, which can be far more of an encumbrance. Two other characters who have not been around for a while but sort of sucked the air out of the place when they were with us (names should be unecessary for this one) weilded one out of control narcissistic personality disorder and a textbook case of delusional disorder (grandiose type) between them. Neither could properly process information in the way necessary to participate in anything even adjacent to philosophical debate. Neither of them was entirely unique though, and similarly encumbered people wander by every now and then.

We currently have a number of topics on the go from a guy who is so sadly desperate to impress somebody-anybody that he just doesn't care if he is writing utter bollocks, he keeps going when even he knows he has screwed himself, he doesn't seem to know how to stop. I couldn't speculate what underlying sadness propels him, but he most likely doesn't either.

You have multiple advantages over all those people, depression might take choices away from you when you are walking down the street, but in the realm of what to type in a forum by way of philsophical argument, does it really force you to sulk and blame me for your arguments not being good? If you are right about something and I am wrong, you have what you need to take it and make me eat it. I certainly fail to see how depression explains why you wouldn't let me just not want to converse with Daschund if I don't feel like it.

PS... if you are considering the obvious move of asking "what about you you utter mad bastard?" at me, you should first consider the implications for your wheelchair objection. I mean, I'll allow it, it's a valid move, but it's probably not the smart choice.
You have Wisdom Sir, the greatest Virtue - and most under apprecaited today ;-(.

I'm a Dyslexic Depressive myself ;-). smart enough to never own a gun. not been depressed in 20 yrs - not to THAT past level. God willing will not return to that black hole, but you never know - one eye open.
gaffo

Re: Flash's psych-analysis

Post by gaffo »

henry quirk wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 6:19 pm Do me next!
thanks for the imagery - not!

please rephrase Sir ;-/.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Greta wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:33 pm We live at a time when witty jabs are valued while reason and analyses are out of fashion. I don't much care for fashion so please forgive me if I fail to be witty and just try to use reason. (Yes yes, I know, I'm just a boring old babbling biddy, not sharp enough to deliver good zingers like a true philosopher ...)

As for the OP, nazism is about killing or dominating undesired people, usually those of colour but they can also be Jews, gays, feminists or progressives. Meanwhile, there's over 7.6 billion people in the world, and most of them are brown-skinned. So there is much panic as the dream of WASP world domination disintegrates under the hubris of the US and the divisions of the EU.

This is just the usual tragedy of human existence, where gathering in huge numbers is the most successful survival strategy, but the crowding reduces happiness. Very, very broadly, what keeps us alive also stresses us and makes us miserable.

Both nazism and Chinese communism aim to solve the problem of overcrowding with total control - zero tolerance of opposition in their obsession with perfection and order (note that the most orderly objects in nature are nonliving).

Each of those ideologies identifies "enemies of the state" that must be eradicated like vermin (not fellow humans). As our numbers increase, the value of one life reduces. What is the death of, say, a billion people? Imagine the scale of such an event. It would seem like the ultimate disaster yet in just a decade we'd be back to the same population. Even if Thanos came to Earth and disintegrated half the human population, that would take us back to about 1972 levels.

By contrast, in 1850, the loss of a billion would leave a remnant equivalent to that of the year 600, when the entire world's population was about 200k.
more like 2,000,000 in the Old World and 2,000,000 in the New World.

Greta wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:33 pm Today we add an extra 200k people every two years. So more authoritarian governments are to come. Ultimately, this is because people tend to more value security than freedom. Note that the Chinese (who are not even allowed to mention the bloodshed of the Tainnanmen Square massacre) are not exactly using their great numbers to rise up against Xi, despite and his increasingly unhinged Mao-style posturing (the way he's going, give Xi a decade and I reckon he'll have convinced himself that he's a god as did his hero, Mao).

All we can do is watch the show and try to understand.
yep. India may end up being the "Western Culture" savor. though they have backslid with Modi - will be watching their election with baited breath.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:09 am
Arising_uk wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:51 pm
Greta wrote:.By contrast, in 1850, the loss of a billion would leave a remnant equivalent to that of the year 600, when the entire world's population was about 200k. ...
How eurocentric of you as around that time the Chinese had an estimated 12,000,000 people.
I think she meant 200 million.

https://www.ecology.com/population-estimates-year-2050/
Yep, thanks Gary.

Alas, that "k" instead of an "m" completely distracted from the actual point that's now been killed off, lost to the ether. It's an unforgiving world should one err! :lol:
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

gaffo wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:09 am
FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:49 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:58 am

You. And I was actually saying you were right. So no idea what you are in a huff about.
Ok, so we've answered the question about whether that post had anything to do with me, and I can't see why you attempted so clumsily to mislead me.

Let's further this lesson in basic honesty. You weren't writing about how I persuaded you that it is invalid to equivocate between Dachsund's hyperactive white supremacist rantings and some general anxiety about us white people inheriting privileges stolen from prior generations of Africans and Indians. You have no chance of arguing this point on logical grounds though because it's fairly straightfoward truth. But sadly you cannot agree with me without feeling sorry for yourself.

You were writing about how depleted you feel in a changing world where whiteness confers fewer unfair benefits than it used to, and you just used me as a totem for all the people who don't feel that way - apparently we all work for big corporations. And then you wrapped it up with a little whine about having to just learn your place.

You can't possibly sell that line of resentful humility as an actual agreement. You are trapped in your passive agression and self pity. Historically, neither of these things has ever worked with me, except perhaps as some form of mild laxative. I don't think they have ever worked for you in any other context though, any pity you buy by sulking is just reinforcement for self destructive behaviour.
I speak only for myself, as a white, tall, fairly charismatic, and decently good looking man - in America, those born facts have given me unearned advantage. I'm mindful of this. and thankful.

I have no guilt for the above for i did not ask for those things, nor to they define my character.

I'm mindful than short, ugly, gay, black women drew the short stick in their birth in our modern society, and so do not disparage them for it - in fact i know they have to work harder to overcome when i never had to to even get started in life.

nor do i give them a pass on character, if they are asshats ill call them out as fast as the white, tall, handsome, staight guy asshat!
Physical attractiveness does tend to open more doors and confer one advantages in society that the unattractive don't have. Sounds like you're very fortunate. Congrats on winning the DNA lottery! There's an interesting Goethe quote I read a while ago concerning physical attractiveness revealing some deep but hidden natural laws at work--or something to that effect, but I can't find it now. :)
Last edited by Gary Childress on Thu May 02, 2019 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Greta wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:43 am
Gary Childress wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:09 am
Arising_uk wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:51 pm How eurocentric of you as around that time the Chinese had an estimated 12,000,000 people.
I think she meant 200 million.

https://www.ecology.com/population-estimates-year-2050/
Yep, thanks Gary.

Alas, that "k" instead of an "m" completely distracted from the actual point that's now been killed off, lost to the ether. It's an unforgiving world should one err! :lol:
You're welcome, Greta. And welcome to the detention corner, BTW. I guess the smart folk will be issuing us our "dunce" caps soon. :oops:
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Found the Goethe quote: “Beauty is a manifestation of secret natural laws, which otherwise would have been hidden from us forever.”
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:56 am I guess the smart folk will be issuing us our "dunce" caps soon. :oops:
I think this one is more your style. It would be a mistake to give you a pointy hat, you would sit on it and complain I made your butt hurt.

Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:57 am
Gary Childress wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:56 am I guess the smart folk will be issuing us our "dunce" caps soon. :oops:
I think this one is more your style. It would be a mistake to give you a pointy hat, you would sit on it and complain I made your butt hurt.

LOL! :lol:
FlashDangerpants

Re: Flash's psych-analysis

Post by FlashDangerpants »

henry quirk wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 6:19 pm Do me next!
You have a severe case of troglodytism*, possibly the result of eating too many brontosaurus sandwiches when you were a young cave-quirk.

* real word - wtf, why have I never called anyone that before? My life has been incomplete and I never suspected.