Why is pride a sin?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skip

Re: Why is pride a sin?

Post by Skip »

duszek wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:30 pm When you feel proud of something you celebrate your own greatness.
Is it impossible to celebrate your competence, ingenuity, perseverance and hard work, without the extreme of calling it "greatness"?
This is dangerous and can lead to a slip in the very near future.
Or, it might lead to the courage to try something more difficult.
How can I enjoy a personal achievement in a healthy way then ?
Perhaps without discussing the question whose merit it is. Just enjoying the result as such.
It's good to give credit to others, and luck; it's fine not to talk about your own merit; it's even okay, if pretentious, to refuse praise offered by others.
But how do you regulate your inner feelings?
And why try to make yourself feel insignificant when you've done something good?

What does humility accomplish?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Skip wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:09 pm
gaffo wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:05 am Tell me more, I'm interested.
I was referring to Freud's description of the human psyche.
There Id is that devilish part of our personality that Christianity strives - and fails - to subdue: a selfish, aggressive, impulsive, impatient, emotional child. When it's in charge, it makes messes and art and love, but it wrecks things and hurts people. When it's suppressed, you have no fun at all.
The Superego is, more or less, God-in-man: conscience, virtue, self-denial, restraint, duty - an arch-conservative patriarch. When it's in charge, nobody has any fun, nothing new is created; there is law and order and conformity. When it's overthrown, there is chaos.
The Ego is the self-aware, autonomous adult who can make judgments and decisions on a practical level. When it's overpowered by one of the other facets, you lose control of your life, either descending into irrationality or submitting to authority.
thanks for clairifaction of id/ego/super -per Freud?

I respect some of Freud's views (mostly that the Subconscience rules all of us) - not a phil major (just a phil thinker/hobbyist) - welcome more on what freud's defonitons of the three parts of man's phyce(sp).

so as to undertand his views and affirm/reject them myself.

thanks for the cogent reply to me Sir.
Skip

Post by Skip »

gaffo wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:58 am welcome more on what freud's defonitons of the three parts of man's phyce(sp).

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/ent ... go,_and_id
It's helpful to keep in mind the time and place in which Freud developed his theories. The mores, social structure and attitudes - therefore the manifestations of psychological dysfunction - were somewhat different from those of our own time and place. The basic concepts are pretty sound, though, and still apply to a surprising extent.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Skip wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:37 am
gaffo wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:58 am welcome more on what freud's defonitons of the three parts of man's phyce(sp).

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/ent ... go,_and_id
It's helpful to keep in mind the time and place in which Freud developed his theories. The mores, social structure and attitudes - therefore the manifestations of psychological dysfunction - were somewhat different from those of our own time and place. The basic concepts are pretty sound, though, and still apply to a surprising extent.
I have not yet check your link - but will and i thank you for offering your time to educate (me- lol).

I'm not a "technologist"/or similar..............i personally think mankind in mindful morality has been fixed for 3/4 of a millia, and that in fact in the last 30 yrs "western values" have backslid - from the ideal of universal humanism (color blind/race blind0 - to PC tribalism (Balcanism - and why i'm no longer a registered Democrat (was in the early 80's - prior to PC)...........and now a reg for the last (i re-registered as a dem to vote for Howard Dean in state primary - to oust Shrub (a disscrace - iraqnam - nothing more need be said) - thne after Kerry's defeat - reregisterd is indempentant.

for full disclosure i voted for Ron Paul in 88, - Rand is a Reichbuglican, not is father in any stretch - never would vote for the son. the father has respect of constititon - though more conservative overall than me - had repect for, and so why i supported him in 88. all 2-percent of us.

thanks for reply - and appologies for getting off track, i'll check your link after i sober up ;-).
osgart

Post by osgart »

Pride in the Bible is vastly different then today's definition. Pride in the Bible is about feeling superior to others and not at all caring for others because of superiority. Pride is despisal of others and feeling vain excellence considering others not worthy of existence.
Pride in the Bible has zero love and zero compassion. No empathy and no regard for others. Pride in the Bible is to glorify ones self vainly with despisal for anything that doesnt serve one's purposes. Pride in the Bible is all about self only. Glory against love of others. Quite simply it dont give a damn about anything but its self. :twisted:

http://webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/Pride

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride
Last edited by osgart on Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

Skip wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:59 pm
duszek wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:30 pm When you feel proud of something you celebrate your own greatness.
Is it impossible to celebrate your competence, ingenuity, perseverance and hard work, without the extreme of calling it "greatness"?
Perhaps without discussing the question whose merit it is. Just enjoying the result as such.
It's good to give credit to others, and luck; it's fine not to talk about your own merit; it's even okay, if pretentious, to refuse praise offered by others.
And why try to make yourself feel insignificant when you've done something good?

I would really like to read any counter-arguments against this.

Why can't you be proud of personal achievements without bullying others?

There are plenty of great individuals who achieved great things - without claiming nobody else can achieve greatness.

You don't need to deny others the right of personal achievements, when being proud of your own.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

philosopher wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:06 pm

There are plenty of great individuals who achieved great things - without claiming nobody else can achieve greatness.

You don't need to deny others the right of personal achievements, when being proud of your own.
I think its ok to be "proud" of your achievments and not be a dk toward others etc..........I would welcome another term for this though. English language may be too limited to allow. "self-proud".

the term "proud" just rubes me wrong in general. we need a new word for what you are talking about above.

"humble-pride"........."prumble" maybe?

Prumble, i like that myself.

are you prumble Sir?
Ramu

Post by Ramu »

gaffo wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:41 am

I think its ok to be "proud" of your achievments and not be a dk toward others etc..........I would welcome another term for this though. English language may be too limited to allow. "self-proud".

the term "proud" just rubes me wrong in general. we need a new word for what you are talking about above.

are you prumble Sir?
Pride is not a sin. That's all dogmatic conceptual religious bullshit
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Ramu wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:53 am
gaffo wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:41 am

are you prumble Sir?
Pride is not a sin. That's all dogmatic conceptual religious bullshit

if you say so.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Pride is a sin. Why? Because god said so, goddamnit.

If you don't like it, reject the idea of sin, and stop believing in god.

In a godless world there is no sin, no virtue, no afterlife, no bullshit.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:58 am Pride is a sin. Why?

ego
-1- wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:58 am Because god said so, goddamnit.
i know nothing about the nature of God being an atheist.

only know myself, and think pride is egoism, and so a "sin". per my view.

not any Gods' view of.............though think the view of beleives that wrote the OT/NT thought thier God had my view about the matter. imo.

-1- wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:58 am If you don't like it, reject the idea of sin, and stop believing in god.
being an atheist does not negate moral compass (which is DNA based)

-1- wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:58 am In a godless world there is no sin, no virtue, no afterlife, no bullshit.

bogwash, DNA is god for all that were born via DNA, man is a social animal born with DNA right and wrong, your hogwash notwithstanding Sir.
-1-

Post by -1- »

gaffo wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:41 ambogwash, DNA is god for all that were born via DNA, man is a social animal born with DNA right and wrong, your hogwash notwithstanding Sir.
gaffo, you mistake "sin" for "morals".

You described morals and ethics with your eloquent defense of not doing harm to others.

But sin is differently defined. Sin is a directive given by god, not a man-made condemnation.

Possessing pride rightfully is not unethical. It is a sin, though, by Christian standards. That should shed light for you on the difference between sin and immorality.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

philosopher wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:16 pm Being proud of an achievement, ie. making a piece of art that you are satisfied with and want to show off to the world, is a sin according to Christianity.

But why is being proud of an achievement so wrong? Why is it negative?

If you have worked hard to get to the top (in any field, being an artist, scientist, businessman or whatever) and you are proud of your achievements, why is this so wrong?

If someone is saying "I am good, but all you others are worthless idiots" thats another matter. But then religion should only target those who speak ill of others, not the actual being proud of an achievement.
where is your confidence? in yourself, or in the One who gave you the ability to do so?
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

DPMartin wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:01 pm
philosopher wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:16 pm Being proud of an achievement, ie. making a piece of art that you are satisfied with and want to show off to the world, is a sin according to Christianity.

If you have worked hard to get to the top (in any field, being an artist, scientist, businessman or whatever) and you are proud of your achievements, why is this so wrong?

If someone is saying "I am good, but all you others are worthless idiots" thats another matter. But then religion should only target those who speak ill of others, not the actual being proud of an achievement.
where is your confidence? in yourself, or in the One who gave you the ability to do so?
What if I'm the One who gave me, myself the ability to do so?
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

philosopher wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:35 pm
DPMartin wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:01 pm

What if I'm the One who gave me, myself the ability to do so?
take note your first statement "is a sin according to Christianity." so there's no being proud of what you gave yourself, you don't have that power anyway Christianity or not. one comes into the world with nothing and receives of (or takes from) every one and thing else in order to have, and the ability to do that was received.

even your life in the flesh was given you through no deed of your own, and the support for your infinite life was given you to survive. no matter if it was pleasant or unpleasant.

and by what is understood as the rules of nature, no one is entitled their next breath, no exceptions.