Selfish God

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: Selfish God

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:47 pm
gaffo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:58 am
attofishpi wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:38 pm

Hi Sir Gaffo, sorry but I am really really busy atm. I can't reply to your previous post breakdown.

As far as the 'bigger picture' goes, that's the part that I most definitely did not miss.

Answerer had been waiting for aeons for someone that it could explain the secrets of the universe to. It knows EVERYTHING, ergo, it knows everything about anyone that is about to ask it a question, and HOW to answer the question. It knows, that although a physicist will be limited in his\her understanding (and the question extreeeeemeeeely lacking)
i thank you for reply, but still think you miss understanding the point of the author, the theme of his story and the nature of Anwserer.

thanks though for reply.
OK, Sir Gaffo, the author left an important statement with regards to Answerer.

The only reason the story has an ounce of validity derived from its premise:- Answerer thought again of the sad limitation imposed by his builders.
ok?(don't follow WRT to author's statment regarding the nature of the answerer).

I welcome discussion about the nature of anwserer and his/her/its builder(s)........
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:47 pm
gaffo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:58 am
attofishpi wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:38 pm

Hi Sir Gaffo, sorry but I am really really busy atm. I can't reply to your previous post breakdown.

As far as the 'bigger picture' goes, that's the part that I most definitely did not miss.

Answerer had been waiting for aeons for someone that it could explain the secrets of the universe to. It knows EVERYTHING, ergo, it knows everything about anyone that is about to ask it a question, and HOW to answer the question. It knows, that although a physicist will be limited in his\her understanding (and the question extreeeeemeeeely lacking)
i thank you for reply, but still think you miss understanding the point of the author, the theme of his story and the nature of Anwserer.

thanks though for reply.
OK, Sir Gaffo, the author left an important statement with regards to Answerer.

The only reason the story has an ounce of validity derived from its premise:- Answerer thought again of the sad limitation imposed by his builders.
have you a chance to hear/read Cantilce of Liebowitz? - if not please do and after welcome discussion about one of the greatest literary works made by mortals.

https://archive.org/details/NPRPresents ... ZIn15Parts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz

you have a mind and so i value discussion with you.

peace Sir and thank for the replies.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Greatest I am wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:56 pm
commonsense wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:11 pm
bahman wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:29 am How a God who is Love, fully self giving, could wish that everybody should Love him more than the amount you love others?
God’s plan(s) cannot be understood by humans. This explains the premise of the question.
If you were a theist, I would say ---- Blasphemy!!!

Gen3;22 Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil;

God to a theist, not either of us, is the epitome of all attributes, including greatest teacher, and here you are saying that he created us while knowing he did not have the brains to teach us even as scriptures say he does.

Those of such little faith in god as you show should be ashamed.

Regards
DL
Perhaps God has sufficient intelligence to teach us anything but just doesn’t want to teach us his plan.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

commonsense wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:07 am
Greatest I am wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:56 pm
commonsense wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:11 pm
God’s plan(s) cannot be understood by humans. This explains the premise of the question.
If you were a theist, I would say ---- Blasphemy!!!

Gen3;22 Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil;

God to a theist, not either of us, is the epitome of all attributes, including greatest teacher, and here you are saying that he created us while knowing he did not have the brains to teach us even as scriptures say he does.

Those of such little faith in god as you show should be ashamed.

Regards
DL
Perhaps God has sufficient intelligence to teach us anything but just doesn’t want to teach us his plan.
Perhaps. Who can say anything with certainty when talking of imaginary entities.

Regards
DL
henry quirk

All you got to remember: Crom don't give a flip about you, so...

Post by henry quirk »

...you're on your own.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Greatest I am wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:56 pmGen3;22 Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil;
I think this could be something my sage would say to me.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:39 am
Greatest I am wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:56 pmGen3;22 Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil;
Smart sage. :) :)

Regards
DL
roydop

Post by roydop »

God is your Self. You have simply forgotten, in the same way one forgets their worldly life while playing a video game life.

So the "higher dimensional" you can communicate only indirectly (via symbol) exactly because it exists in a higher dimension.

Problem is that there's a lot of "noise" in the form of egos communicating/reinforcing false self. The tool that acts as a sign/clue to liberation can also be used to delude. Unfortunately 99.999999% of the information out there leads to delusion.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

roydop wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:08 pm God is your Self. You have simply forgotten, in the same way one forgets their worldly life while playing a video game life.

So the "higher dimensional" you can communicate only indirectly (via symbol) exactly because it exists in a higher dimension.

Problem is that there's a lot of "noise" in the form of egos communicating/reinforcing false self. The tool that acts as a sign/clue to liberation can also be used to delude. Unfortunately 99.999999% of the information out there leads to delusion.
Speculative nonsense.

Regards
DL
roydop

Post by roydop »

My life proves otherwise.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

bahman wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:29 am How a God who is Love, fully self giving, could wish that everybody should Love him more than the amount you love others?
There are a number of assumptions made in your preamble that I think are doubtful.

To love is to give yourself, certainly. But to be Love? Is being Love the same as loving? If it isn't then God, by being Love, is not bound to abide by the dictionary requirements of "loving".

Does God, as Love, wish anything? That seems to me to be doubtful. There is a commandment to love God, and that commandment is said to have come from God. But if God is not the kind of thing that has wishes, dreams, desires, lusts, hungers and thirsts ... in short, if God is the kind of thing that has no need of us, and no needs at all, then they might give us a "command" without any kind of wish behind it, I think.

None of that stops those of us who love Love feeling that our love is ordained by Love. Capisce?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Hi Att, have you found the time to re-ponder "ask a foolish question" story, and listen to Cantile yet?

welcome farther discussion about both works when/if you have the time/will to do so.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

gaffo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:34 am
Hi Att, have you found the time to re-ponder "ask a foolish question" story, and listen to Cantile yet?

welcome farther discussion about both works when/if you have the time/will to do so.
To be honest Sir Gaffo - it really doesn't interest me! ..and am way too busy atm to bother with something I really didn't find interesting...sorry, but hopefully you can respect my frank honesty!

With regards to Cantile, if it's something I can listen to while I work, then sure - post me the URL link.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:13 am
gaffo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:34 am

To be honest Sir Gaffo - it really doesn't interest me! ..and am way too busy atm to bother with something I really didn't find interesting...sorry, but hopefully you can respect my frank honesty!

With regards to Cantile, if it's something I can listen to while I work, then sure - post me the URL link.

Sad to hear, but respect your honest reply and understand being busy (just rem this post in yrs hence and so when if you have time - rem the this thread, and so have opportunity to listen/read Canticle). Walter Miller Jr was a bomber crewman that was one of many that took part in the destruction of Monte Cassino, that experience compelled him to write this one work (he never wrote another) (author of A Canticle for Leibowitz (I personally view it as one of the greatest literally works of all time - up there with Dante/ect - but its Sci-fiction, so "English majors/profs/culture in general - degrade the merits of a story if it is in the Science Fiction genre (they are biased IMO).

I have the CD set, via FBS Foundation - they stopped offering the series shortly after (post 2005) - not sure why (legal? prob - who knows (it was a WHA (Madison Wissconson Pulic Radio Production - the same folks that made the excellent Mindwebs series around the same time, and refuse to offer the "master tapes" for purchase - all we have are "over the air" 45 yrs old recordings of that series) - and re-encoded it to 168 VBR mp3's - and uploaded it to Usenet 15 yrs ago. I know that at least one kind soul "out there" then re-offered it as a Torrent.

of course that was a long time ago and even if you have a Torrent client, that show might not be "out there" 15 yrs later. (in hidef - thanks to me!!!!!!!!!!!!ya i'm bragging ;-)...........). if that torrent is dead after all these years, you will find a lower qualtiy mp3 set over at Internet Archive (why IA did not find my higher quality mp3 set years ago and then offered them - is curious. I guess that knowbody in possesion of the higher quality knew about IA in order to offer it).

Why did i never offer said higher quality set - hell i got the CD set here in my home - could re-encode to 320 even - well, I never thought of it until my reply to you (I could! - i respect Internet Archive - been a fan sense it discovered them in 2002- and i should! - maybe i will!?)

https://archive.org/details/ScreenShot2 ... 11.41.16PM

wiki of the overal story arch:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz

-----------though off topic, Mindwebs - narrated/acted by the infinately talented Robert Hanson - also a WHA production of the same era as CFL - early 70's to early 80's is worthy of a listen (all shows are taken from SciMasters of old (all have social/human themes - for thinking folks listening).

https://archive.org/details/Mindwebs_230

thanks for reply, and look forward to any comments related to the above works - even if in yrs hense - understand being swampted by life/etc.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

oh, just noticed part of your reply above.

no, the story of Canticle is not a thing you can multitask.

this is a literary work of art - a top ten - one cannot do other things while listening (or reading - the book came first - lol).

the Radiodrama is equal to the original work.

I prefer the Radiodrama - not becuase its better (it is a 100-percent copy of the book (a rare thing) - i just prefer Radiodrama over books - been listening to the former regulary for 20 yrs now.

X-Minus One Rules!!!!!!!

lol.