Philosophy Now magazine Suggestions Box

Latest news of Philosophy Now

Moderators: AMod, iMod

A_Seagull

Re: Philosophy Now magazine Suggestions Box

Post by A_Seagull »

Malcolm S wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:53 pm Hi guys,

I just clicked on a link from Facebook to a Philosophy Now article and got this message: "You’ve read one of your four complimentary articles for this month..."

This paywall may never be a problem for me, and I understand that publications need money to exist and flourish. But there are people, many people, with an interest in philosophy who do not have the means to subscribe to this, and the many other publications, that are behind paywalls.

NB: Giacomo Puccini's opera, La bohème, is about four starving, and freezing, bohemian friends sharing a Paris garret; Rodolfo, a poet; Marcello, an artist (in which category I fall); Schaunard, a musician; and Colline, a philosopher.

I'm just pointing out a problem, as a perceive it. I do not know the solution.

Malcolm S
If you can afford a computer and an internet connection, you can afford a subscription. But if you really can't... learn to smile.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Malcolm S, good luck with your art! I am a starving God, and I love art... I can't afford any. Artists have all the right to charge 400-700 dollars for their paintings, and I say they are worth every penny and more... but my budget is about 3 dollars for such luxurious frivolity.

Funny thing is, artists are struggling, I, the God of all creatures, mobile and real, am struggling, and even the President of the United States is struggling with that stupid, obstinate Congress that refuses to spend ten trillion dollars on a wall, which could be a bonanza for wall hangings of all kinds of art.
Last edited by -1- on Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Malcolm S wrote:
But there are people many people with an interest in philosophy who do not have the
means to subscribe to this and the many other publications that are behind paywalls

I do not know the solution
The magazine only comes out six times a year and my two years subscription to the print version
costs less than one months internet so there is the solution to anyone who cannot afford paywall

And you can access many free platforms that reference philosophy such as Wikipedia for example
And philosophy sites that are also free such as this one so lack of money should not be a problem
Atla

Post by Atla »

As someone who believes in the greater good, I suggest shutting down this forum.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Atla wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:51 pm As someone who believes in the greater good, I suggest shutting down this forum.
Shut the forum down then. Why suggest, why not just do it?

Atla

Post by Atla »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:02 pm
Atla wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:51 pm As someone who believes in the greater good, I suggest shutting down this forum.

Do I look like the admin?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Atla wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:36 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:02 pm

Do I look like the admin?
There is more than one way to skin a cat.

-1-

Post by -1- »

I believe in the lesser good. We ought to keep this forum going.
Atla

Post by Atla »

-1- wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:46 am
I believe in the lesser good. We ought to keep this forum going.
Can't help but think that this forum is becoming a crime against humanity.. but this whole mess is sort of hilarious in an odd, sadistic way
-1-

Post by -1- »

Atla wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:44 pm Can't help but think that this forum is becoming a crime against humanity.. but this whole mess is sort of hilarious in an odd, sadistic way
When I interact on this site, my mood vacillates between laughter, anger and harmony, then the cycle repeats itself.

The site's less boring than my life, so this site is rather good to me.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Atla wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:44 pm Can't help but think that this forum is becoming a crime against humanity.. but this whole mess is sort of hilarious in an odd, sadistic way
There is another site, quite a good one, except it is run by a mod who oppresses all opposition on his site.

I could stomach him if he only oppressed inappropriate behaviour, but he oppresses any deviation of how he imagines people ought to behave. I felt like I was shackled and suffocated at the same time. I made quite an astute and well-written objection to his policies, and to his policing, and he gave me a long reply, personally forbidding me things to do that were not in the rules. I felt so pissed off I left the site in protest.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Further to my previous post about the other site: they used to be lively, with a large, active membership. Now they are reduced to active participants who number under a dozen. There are quality posts, but hardly any a day, maybe four every week. The policing worked, but they decimated the site's popularity.

I guess there is a price to pay for everything.
-1-

Post by -1- »

"Rodolfo, a poet; Marcello, an artist (in which category I fall); Schaunard, a musician; and Colline, a philosopher."

These are the starvers in Giacomo Puccini's opera,the La Boheme.

Funny thing is, you can make exactly the same amount of not enough money in these professions today, as in Puccini's time (a hundred and fifty years ago, approx.)

In fact, today's pay-scale is even lesser today for these professionals, when compared to the income of a street-sweeper, a journalist, an optician or a Pepsi Cola delivery truck driver. You can sell, on the average, for exactly as many paintings' worth in dollars, which will pay for two month's worth of coffee, and nothing but coffee.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Although I believe also in the lesser good, I concur.

The theists are dissatisfied with the site.

The non-theists are dissatisfied with it.

Those who think logically and also those who do not think logically are dissatisfied with it.

The smart ones, not so smart ones, and less smart ones are dissatisfied with what's going on.

Or maybe it's just me, maybe it's just that I've hung around too long...
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

-1- wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:37 pm
Although I believe also in the lesser good, I concur.

The theists are dissatisfied with the site.

The non-theists are dissatisfied with it.

Those who think logically and also those who do not think logically are dissatisfied with it.

The smart ones, not so smart ones, and less smart ones are dissatisfied with what's going on.

Or maybe it's just me, maybe it's just that I've hung around too long...
Sounds like a typical philosophy site. How else is it going to be?