Solipsism cannot be true

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: Solipsism cannot be true

Post by Dontaskme »

Arising_uk wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:41 am
This does remind me of how in my undergraduate days we solved the problem of the solipsist in the bar after lectures, just kept on gently punching them until they asked us to stop. :)
The only problem for you is the belief that there is an actual real solipsist there.

Until you see through that illusion, you'll just keep boxing with shadows.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

:lol: And yet all those shadows requested us to stop?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Arising_uk wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:36 pm :lol: And yet all those shadows requested us to stop?
That's right, it's amazing magic how that happens isn't it.

Pain wants to stop and pleasure wants to continue.

Oh the intelligence that is infinite awareness.

The shadow is a metaphor for the assumed separate self that resides inside the body.

There is only one of us here no matter how much you deny it...that would be self denial, which is absurd.

The self is not inside a body ..the body is inside the self which has no body except as a projected image of it's imageless no body.

Speakpigeon

Post by Speakpigeon »

Speakpigeon wrote:How would I know?
My mistake I thought you thought solipsism unrefutable.
Yes, I do.
So, why do you need to disprove solipsism?
I don't need to disprove it I just think it is refutable and given this is supposed to be a philosophy forum I thought I'd put my refutation out there
Good excuse.
Arising_uk wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:41 am This does remind me of how in my undergraduate days we solved the problem of the solipsist in the bar after lectures, just kept on gently punching them until they asked us to stop. :)
So it is a problem...
So, why do you feel you need to solve it?
EB
Speakpigeon

Post by Speakpigeon »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:16 pm
Arising_uk wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:36 pm :lol: And yet all those shadows requested us to stop?
That's right, it's amazing magic how that happens isn't it. Pain wants to stop and pleasure wants to continue. Oh the intelligence that is infinite awareness.The shadow is a metaphor for the assumed separate self that resides inside the body. There is only one of us here no matter how much you deny it...that would be self denial, which is absurd.The self is not inside a body ..the body is inside the self which has no body except as a projected image of it's imageless no body.
Very well said. I'm impressed by how articulate I am in my imagination.
EB
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Speakpigeon wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:30 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:16 pm
That's right, it's amazing magic how that happens isn't it. Pain wants to stop and pleasure wants to continue. Oh the intelligence that is infinite awareness.The shadow is a metaphor for the assumed separate self that resides inside the body. There is only one of us here no matter how much you deny it...that would be self denial, which is absurd.The self is not inside a body ..the body is inside the self which has no body except as a projected image of it's imageless no body.
Very well said. I'm impressed by how articulate I am in my imagination.
EB
Yeah I kind of liked how I worded that myself 😁 don’t you just love the sound of your own imagination 😉

You can just about make anything up out of nothing..🤪

I like talking about nothing it’s the only thing I know anything about...there’s nothing like the smell of your own💩
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dontaskme [/quote wrote:
That's right, it's amazing magic how that happens isn't it.
Only to those who believe in fairies.
Pain wants to stop and pleasure wants to continue.
Nope, the entity experiencing pain wants it to stop and pleasure to continue.
Oh the intelligence that is infinite awareness.
If the above are examples then it doesn't speak highly of its intelligence.
The shadow is a metaphor for the assumed separate self that resides inside the body.
There is no seperate self apart from the body.
There is only one of us here no matter how much you deny it...that would be self denial, which is absurd.
Every word you speak shows your absurdity, "us", "you", "only one". Since I am not you there are at least two of us here.
The self is not inside a body ..the body is inside the self which has no body except as a projected image of it's imageless no body.
None of the above. Since you never clarify which sense of self you're talking about I'll go with our self-conscious self and that is the being of a body with memory, senses and a language in an external world.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Speakpigeon wrote: Good excuse.
For what?
So it is a problem...
Only to those who express it.
EB
At that time it was getting in the way of the drinking.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Arising_uk wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:02 pmNope, the entity experiencing pain wants it to stop and pleasure to continue.
Nope, nobody has ever seen an entity...it’s just a belief ...Magict out of thin air...look around there’s nothing but empty space.

That’s magic source.
henry quirk

Solipsism cannot be true

Post by henry quirk »

Of course it's not true!

As I say (elsewhere): I'm too fuckin' dumb to be imaginin' REALITY so REALITY must exist outside me, independent of me.

Any one thinkin' the whole of REALITY extends out from themselves is not only more fuckin' dumb than me but also as crazy as a shithouse rat.

Yeah, I'm talkin' about 'you', you nutjob dumbass.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dontaskme wrote:Nope, nobody has ever seen an entity...it’s just a belief ...Magict out of thin air...look around there’s nothing but empty space.

That’s magic source.
There's something wrong with your eyes? Ah! I know, you have a metaphysical mote in them.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Arising_uk wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:14 pm
Impenitent wrote: no, they are proof you have an active imagination... you create the language you use; the meaning behind it is yours as you perceive it...

-Imp
Well I don't know about you but I was taught the language that I use. Still, ignoring that I'm not arguing that Chomsky was wrong and there is not a universal grammar 'module' in us, nor am I arguing that it is not possible that a solitary being could not link the noises it utters to the things it 'thoughts'(I don't use 'thinks' here as I make a distinction between thoughts and thinking with thinking reserved for that that we do with language with its internal voice). What I am arguing is that the actual language we are using is full of words that a solitary/solipsistic being would not be able to think up as it would quite literally have no need for them or even be able to conceive of them.
no, you became aware of an appearance of a response to an apparent utterance and it cascaded from there...

your belief in an appearance of externality is not proof of externality...

but don't worry, lots of people hear voices in their head...

-Imp
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Impenitent wrote:no, you became aware of an appearance of a response to an apparent utterance and it cascaded from there... ...
A response? From where?
your belief in an appearance of externality is not proof of externality... ...
"your"? My knowledge of pronouns proves you wrong.
but don't worry, lots of people hear voices in their head...

-Imp
Not unless they've been taught a language they don't.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Arising_uk wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:15 am
Dontaskme wrote:Nope, nobody has ever seen an entity...it’s just a belief ...Magict out of thin air...look around there’s nothing but empty space.

That’s magic source.
There's something wrong with your eyes? Ah! I know, you have a metaphysical mote in them.
No thing is looking out of those eyes...when you look at a persons eyes you are looking at an image..there is nothing behind the image.

The eye is no thing eyeing.

Speakpigeon

Post by Speakpigeon »

Arising_uk wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:06 pm
So it is a problem...
Only to those who express it.
???
You think that saying "I'm solipsist" or "solipsism is true" is a problem?
The only one who says it's a problem is you. So, it's really a problem to you.
Arising_uk wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:06 pm
At that time it was getting in the way of the drinking.
So, it was a problem for you.
And now, is it getting in the way of your drinking that some people think solipsism is a good idea?
EB