The older I get, the smarter I feel, and the stupider I become

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

-1-

The older I get, the smarter I feel, and the stupider I become

Post by -1- »

Funny thing, old age is.

I feel so much more intelligent and worldly and suave than in any age of my life preceding the past five years or so.

But I can't remember names or the faces of new acquaintances; I make factual mistakes; most days I don't know what happened the previous three days, or even that morning; I lose strategy games to youngsters in which games I used to be unbeatable; and chicks like me more and more, because, I suspect, I no longer display marks of a predator. (I'm a "safe" guy, for laughing out loud. That's the air I exude.) (Aside from farts.)

I can't add two four-digit numbers in my head if my life depended on it, I make more grammar mistakes in speech than ever before, and my creative ideas for short stories completely dried up.

Why did Socrates have to be so right?
Lacewing

Re: The older I get, the smarter I feel, and the stupider I become

Post by Lacewing »

Sweet. :lol: Very well said.

I'll add...
> I no longer work around-the-clock for my career.
> I'm more direct and outspoken about things that seem ridiculous.
> I have more appreciation and gratitude for all kinds of things.
> Everything seems more funny.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Your advancing dementia hasn't gone unnoticed.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Nuthin' works like it used to, but it all works, so: I got no complaints.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Humans should be euthanised at 60 anyway. They are no use to anyone after that, just boring everyone with their tedious diatribes on their numerous aches and pains, how they 'had a fall', and which operations they are on a waiting list for. Plus, blot-on-the-landscape 'retirement villages' (death cubicles) are the scourge of modern society.
-1-

Re:

Post by -1- »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:59 am Nuthin' works like it used to, but it all works, so: I got no complaints.
I hope you pay them a fair day's pay for a fair day's work.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:02 am Sweet. :lol: Very well said.

I'll add...
> I no longer work around-the-clock for my career.
> I'm more direct and outspoken about things that seem ridiculous.
> I have more appreciation and gratitude for all kinds of things.
> Everything seems more funny.
Funny. I am more tactful and kind than ever before, except on websites. Here I am still my old, provocative self. That's why I stay away for days; I actually don't like the me anymore who is provocative and aggressive in arguments.

Gratitude, check.

Yes!! Fun is everywhere. For instance, I went to a dance with my gf, with the club I play all kinds of card games in. I overheard a couple talking next to us, "So I met this short brunette at the bar, and her name was Pat." I turned to my date, laughing, saying I first got it as "... and her name was Fat."

Small joys get much more limelight that big achievements.
-1-

Post by -1- »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:18 am Your advancing dementia hasn't gone unnoticed.
Finally you make sense, without expletives, without insults.

I liked this.
-1-

Post by -1- »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:49 am Humans should be euthanised at 60 anyway. They are no use to anyone after that, just boring everyone with their tedious diatribes on their numerous aches and pains, how they 'had a fall', and which operations they are on a waiting list for. Plus, blot-on-the-landscape 'retirement villages' (death cubicles) are the scourge of modern society.
I guess you're right, but if you ask the Woolly Mammoth, the Sabre-Toothed Tiger, and the Dodo bird, along with thousands of other species that went extinct in the last few thousand years, they'd say humans ought to be euthanized at age 20.

I am glad you brought up the topic of aches and pains. I have all kinds, in the strangest places of my anatomy. There is no reason, no rhyme why I have most of the aches. They come and gone in a matter of a few seconds. Mind you, I have the customary and recurring pains everyone complains about -- joints of the knee, hip, penis, shoulder, brain -- but by-and-large they can be managed with muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatories.

Oh, you forgot one HUGE topic, which has become central to my life: the digestive track processes. I'll have mercy on you, though, and I shan't go into details.

As far as being no use to anyone, I agree 99%, with the remaining one percent being our useful function in society, a sort of giving back, which is boring everyone with how long the wait is for the next procedure, and why has my wet nurse forgot my name again and called me -1- instead of PortNoy.

"Some of you got your families
Living cages tall and cold
Some of them stay there and dust away
Past the age of old.

Is this true? Please let me talk to you."

-- Jimi Hendrix, "Up From The Skies", from the album "Axis: Bold as Love".
Walker

Post by Walker »

Motto for the curing* booty-connoisseur:

The faster I go the behinder I get.

* intransitive verb definition #1
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/curing
Logik

Post by Logik »

-1- wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:07 am I actually don't like the me anymore who is provocative and aggressive in arguments.
I'll pick up the slack. You can rest now. Enjoy life.
henry quirk

"I hope you pay them a fair day's pay for a fair day's work."

Post by henry quirk »

Do I take care of myself?

Yeah.

I get a modicum of exercise, eat decent and sensibly, clear the cobwebs outta my skull, and -- most important -- smoke lots of tobacco and drink lots of coffee.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

-1- wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:07 am I actually don't like the me anymore who is provocative and aggressive in arguments.
Yeah, I only do that here too. But I see it as having some rowdy fun while exploring thoughtful ideas and questions. It's a perfect platform for that, and I get value from experiencing these dynamics and interactions and revelations that I wouldn't experience anywhere else. :)
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:49 am Humans should be euthanised at 60 anyway. They are no use to anyone after that, just boring everyone with their tedious diatribes on their numerous aches and pains, how they 'had a fall', and which operations they are on a waiting list for. Plus, blot-on-the-landscape 'retirement villages' (death cubicles) are the scourge of modern society.
That's what we all say until we reach that age ourselves.
Walker

Post by Walker »

-1- wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:22 am "Some of you got your families
Living cages tall and cold
Some of them stay there and dust away
Past the age of old.

Is this true? Please let me talk to you."

-- Jimi Hendrix, "Up From The Skies", from the album "Axis: Bold as Love".
This talented artist does a great Jimi Hendrix cover.

Here, covering John Mayer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9L0zAit4_4

Had a talk with my old man
Said, "Help me understand"
He said, "Turn sixty-eight, you'll renegotiate"