An Ethical Reason To Be Good

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

TryingMyBest

An Ethical Reason To Be Good

Post by TryingMyBest »

I am more interested in the Truth than being right, but I think I'm right.
Definitions:
To Be Good: to exist in reality
To Do Good: To increase the amount of good things in reality
Good Things: all things that are real, including values
To Be Evil: to be subtracted of all that is good; to not exist in reality
To Do Evil: To decrease the amount of good things in reality
Pure Good: Reality in harmony such that there is no evil
Pure Evil: The non-existence of that which is good

"Humans can be evil" is a false statement that humans have believed for generations. Humans are things that are real. Therefore, humans are good. Humans can do evil actions, thereby decreasing the amount of good from reality. So how can something that is good do something that is evil? It is because they believe in the false statement that "humans can be evil" and therefore justify their evil actions. Once it is realized that all humans are good, the veil is lifted, and each human that realizes this will begin doing good and not evil. "All humans are good" is a reason to act in a way that increases the amount of good things in reality. The fact that "all humans are good" is an ethical reason to be good. We reflect in our actions that which we perceive from the world. Anyone who is acting in an evil way has not yet realized that all humans are, in fact, good. Because if he did realize this, then he would do good and not evil.
TryingMyBest

Re: An Ethical Reason To Be Good

Post by TryingMyBest »

If "humans can be evil entities" is false, then it is just a matter of time until this realization spreads and influences human behavior for the better.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

TryingMyBest wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:57 am I am more interested in the Truth than being right, but I think I'm right.
Definitions:
To be/do good is to be empathetic.

to be/do evil is the reverse - selfish.

cannot further contribute it the interesting thread of good/evil since the original poster does not understand my understanding of what both/either are.

carry on.
-1-

Post by -1- »

TryingMyBest wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:57 am I am more interested in the Truth than being right.
This means that you can consider truth to be wrong.

Interesting concept.

"Gravity is wrong."

"Language is wrong."

"Logic is absolutely and hopelessly, helplessly wrong."
Logik

Post by Logik »

-1- wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:58 am
TryingMyBest wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:57 am I am more interested in the Truth than being right.
This means that you can consider truth to be wrong.

Interesting concept.

"Gravity is wrong."

"Language is wrong."

"Logic is absolutely and hopelessly, helplessly wrong."
Truth - the eternal banner of those who want to be “right”.

What is it that you want to be “right” about and why?
*crickets*
-1-

Post by -1- »

Logik wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:13 am

*crickets*
This is precisely why I found the post by Trying My Best so intriguing.

P.s. this post is actually not about me and what I said. Get your reference in order, Logik. Please consider that what I said was in reference to a post by Trying My Best. I even quoted it, and it was more obvious than death that that's what I was referring to. If you missed that, please re-read.

I took on myself your "cricket" reference, as you addressed me as the person who wants to be "right" about something, and I consider it a direct, rude, and obnoxious, furthermore uncalled insult. You fucking asshole. :-)

You are twisting and turning and mangling the reference in your desperate and false attempt to make me look bad.

You piece of shit. :-)
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

TryingMyBest wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:57 am I am more interested in the Truth than being right, but I think I'm right.
Definitions:

"Humans can be evil" is a false statement that humans have believed for generations. Humans are things that are real. Therefore, humans are good. Humans can do evil actions, thereby decreasing the amount of good from reality. So how can something that is good do something that is evil? It is because they believe in the false statement that "humans can be evil" and therefore justify their evil actions. Once it is realized that all humans are good, the veil is lifted, and each human that realizes this will begin doing good and not evil. "All humans are good" is a reason to act in a way that increases the amount of good things in reality. The fact that "all humans are good" is an ethical reason to be good. We reflect in our actions that which we perceive from the world. Anyone who is acting in an evil way has not yet realized that all humans are, in fact, good. Because if he did realize this, then he would do good and not evil.
Your original axiom, TryingMyBest, is that, because good is real and good is existence and evil is absence of good, good is the default. This is or should be the basic dogma of religious ethics and ideological ethics, because if there were no existence itself then there could be no possibility of good.
Logik

Post by Logik »

-1- wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:15 am
Logik wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:13 am

*crickets*
This is precisely why I found the post by Trying My Best so intriguing.

P.s. this post is actually not about me and what I said. Get your reference in order, Logik. Please consider that what I said was in reference to a post by Trying My Best. I even quoted it, and it was more obvious than death that that's what I was referring to. If you missed that, please re-read.

I took on myself your "cricket" reference, as you addressed me as the person who wants to be "right" about something, and I consider it a direct, rude, and obnoxious, furthermore uncalled insult. You fucking asshole. :-)

You are twisting and turning and mangling the reference in your desperate and false attempt to make me look bad.

You piece of shit. :-)
Thaaaat's it! Get it off your shoulders!

Have a beer afterwards and examine your life-choices.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Definitions:

Are you Catholic? Anyway, evil is not lack of good. Evil is necessary for evolution. We wouldn't be here without evil.
Atla

Post by Atla »

TryingMyBest wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:57 am ...
Unfortunately, reality isn't "Good" at all. It has a few parts here and there that are Good for most humans, but overall it has nothing to do with Good.

Good, Evil, and neither of those, all exist in reality.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Atla wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:39 pm
TryingMyBest wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:57 am ...
Unfortunately, reality isn't "Good" at all. It has a few parts here and there that are Good for most humans, but overall it has nothing to do with Good.

Good, Evil, and neither of those, all exist in reality.
Do we really feel the difference between good ad evil?
Literature and morality: Imaginary evil is romantic and varied; real evil is gloomy, monotonous, barren, boring. Imaginary good is boring; real good is always new, marvellous, intoxicating. Therefore "imaginative literature" is either boring or immoral (or a mixture of both). It only escapes from this alternative if in some way it passes over to the side of reality through the power of art— and only genius can do that ~ Simone Weil
I have to admit that sometimes I confuse good and evil
Walker

Post by Walker »

Nick_A wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:48 am Do we really feel the difference between good ad evil?
Philosophical truth: What is evil cannot be good.

To feel good or bad about evil is simply a reaction to the truth of knowing what evil is, but reactions to evil do not define evil, so feeling good or bad about evil does not define evil as good or bad.

To feel good about good is simply a reaction to the truth of knowing what good is, but as with evil, reactions to good do not define good, which is why singing Kumbaya as a reaction to evil may feel good but it does not define a good reaction to evil.

Conclusion: Everyone knows what evil is because everyone knows the difference between ash and snow.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Walker wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:34 pm
Nick_A wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:48 am Do we really feel the difference between good ad evil?

To feel good or bad about evil is simply a reaction to the truth of knowing what evil is, but reactions to evil do not define evil, so feeling good or bad about evil does not define evil as good or bad.

To feel good about good is simply a reaction to the truth of knowing what good is, but as with evil, reactions to good do not define good, which is why singing Kumbaya as a reaction to evil may feel good but it does not define a good reaction to evil.

Conclusion: Everyone knows what evil is because everyone knows the difference between ash and snow.
I read years ago that no one does anything for the sake of evil but from their understandings of good. I rebelled against that one and thought it impossible, Then when I remembered that we are creatures of reaction incapable of sustained conscious action, it had to be true. We may KNOW the difference between a good and evil action but as atoms of the Great Beast we don't UNDERSTAND the difference. What we do defines our understanding. The act of war is considered a good since as creatures of reaction it is the result of accumulation of cyclical cosmic and earthly influences normal for organic life on earth
Logik

Post by Logik »

gaffo wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:23 am To be/do good is to be empathetic.

to be/do evil is the reverse - selfish.
So where does this leave me then?

I am empathetic because it's gratifying.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:06 pm
Walker wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:34 pm

I read years ago that no one does anything for the sake of evil but from their understandings of good. I rebelled against that one and thought it impossible, Then when I remembered that we are creatures of reaction incapable of sustained conscious action, it had to be true. We may KNOW the difference between a good and evil action but as atoms of the Great Beast we don't UNDERSTAND the difference. What we do defines our understanding. The act of war is considered a good since as creatures of reaction it is the result of accumulation of cyclical cosmic and earthly influences normal for organic life on earth
Everyone who punishes knows what evil is.
Knowing what evil is, is how one adult knows what action punishes another adult.

To punish another does not require doing good to another.
To punish another requires doing evil to another.

Perhaps folks should not punish one another.
Then, evil would not be done.

The exception to the logic is if evil is done for any reason other than to punish.

Is it so?
Is evil done for reasons other than punishment?

If so, then without the evil of punishment as a deterrent, evil done for reasons other than punishment may grow.

This is why threat of punishment, or threat of evil, is seen as a necessary deterrent to evil.

Thus the classic question.

Can good come from evil?
Or
Can good come only from good?