Bias Against Transgenders

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Bias Against Transgenders

Post by Walker »

-1- wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:15 pm The more I know, the more I realize Christianity is splintered even more ways than just the 45,000 (approximate number) of different denominations indicate. I realize now that there are individual Christians, and furthermore, there are people who call themselves Christian and deny everyone else the right to call themselves Christian.
A tree has many leaves fed by a common root.

Cut the root and the leaves wither.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Nick_A wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:29 am
The question becomes if Christianity is a perennial tradition then it can have only one conscious purpose. it isn't a matter of what people call themselves but what the purpose of Christianity is as opposed to man made conceptions

This is where I call "bullshit". All people who call themselves Christians can and do say this. Whom am I to believe then? And why?

The purpose of the perennial tradition always existed. A person with a sincere need for Christianity must become open to the fact that what they have learned in society are just expressions of Christendom containing partial truths. It requires going deeper.

Another way of saying "bullshit", my very good and learned friend.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Walker wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:49 am

Good analogy.

But what if the leaves are in-fighting? Denying each other the right to call themselves "leaf" and declaring that they are the only one and only true "leaf"? It happens, my one and only true friend, and this is what is at stake: why affirm that your faith is superior to that of another? Why declare that yours is the only true faith?
Walker

Post by Walker »

-1- wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:11 pm

Good analogy.

But what if the leaves are in-fighting? Denying each other the right to call themselves "leaf" and declaring that they are the only one and only true "leaf"? It happens, my one and only true friend, and this is what is at stake: why affirm that your faith is superior to that of another? Why declare that yours is the only true faith?
The analogy is part of a teaching from Mahayana Buddhism, and it also has other implications.

Of what concern is in-fighting to an outsider?

Philosophy need not be faith-based.

The only reason to care about another’s philosophy is to evaluate it as a potential threat to well-being or life in regards to yourself or innocents.

If another’s philosophy requires the other to determine how you or others should live and think, then that’s a threat to you or others.

If another’s philosophy demands that you or others conform to their philosophy or else die, then that’s a threat to you or others.

Christianity requires nothing of you * the outsider, L'Étranger.

In the USA, if another’s philosophy demands nothing from you or others, and if another’s philosophy requires speaking the truth of that philosophy, then here are your options.

Learn tolerance to bear it, or suffer the hearing of it if you can’t learn tolerance, or physically stop your hearing, or silence the speaker either legally or illegally.

* The possible exception is the sectarian practice of shunning, however that’s a passive practice of not doing rather than doing.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

-1- wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:11 pm

Good analogy.

The leaves are within Plato's cave debating how best to live in Plato's Cave. The goal of Christianity is rebirth or entering a higher quality of life. Kierkegaard understood the problem:

People who perhaps never once enter a church, never think about God, never mention his name except in oaths! People upon whom it has never dawned that they might have any obligation to God, people who either regard it as a maximum to be guiltless of transgressing criminal law, or do not count even this quite necessary! Yet all these people, even those who assert that no God exists, are all of them Christians, call themselves Christians, are recognized as Christians by the State, are buried as Christians by the Church, are certified as Christians for eternity.

(quoted in Protestant Thought in the 19th Century by Claude Welch p.294)

Christendom has done away with Christianity, without being quite aware of it. The consequence is that, if anything is to be done, one must try again to introduce Christianity into Christendom.

ibid p.295
Dr. Nicoll indicates the quality of awareness necessary for rebirth - the essential purpose of Christianity
The Gospels speak mainly of a possible inner evolution called "re-birth". This is their central idea. ... The Gospels are from beginning to end all about this possible self-evolution. They are psychological documents. They are about the psychology of this possible inner development --that is, about what a man must think, feel, and do in order to reach a new level of understanding. ... Everyone has an outer side that has been developed by his contact with life and an inner side which remains vague, uncertain, undeveloped. ... For that reason the teaching of inner evolution must be so formed that it does not fall solely on the outer side of man. It must fall there first, but be capable of penetrating more deeply and awakening the man himself --the inner, unorganized man. A man evolves internally through his deeper reflection, not through his outer life-controlled side. He evolves through the spirit of his understanding and by inner consent to what he sees as truth. The psychological meanings of the relatively fragmentary teaching recorded in the Gospels refers to this deeper, inner side of everyone.
- Maurice Nicoll; The New Man
Where Christendom is concerned with what we DO in relation to societal norms, Christianity is concerned with what we ARE in relation to the evolutionary potential for human being. This is offensive to proud residents of Plato's cave so Christianity must be hated while Christendom is tolerated.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Nick_A and Walker: the infighting between leaves has started. They don't per se go at each other's throats, but each give a completely different version on the interpretation of the tree metaphor.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Frank N Stein wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:14 pm Ever heard of Mohammad Mosaddegh?
yep. 1953,

i know history.
Frank N Stein wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:14 pm Israel is Jewish.

yes, as long as it chooses that above being a Democracy/republic - it the same as Saudi Arabia.

a theocracy.

I support Republics, not theocracies.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:15 pm
Walker wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:14 am
-1- wrote:HI, Walker, I was convinced you were religious, and belonged to a church group. Well, I guess I was wrong.
Odd that you would think that. Maybe you've been reading the erroneous opinions of others or their litany of -isms that weren't corrected, or perhaps some quote function got fouled up somewhere, which has been known to happen.
Maybe. Or maybe that you do stand by a religious / Christian conviction.

The more I know, the more I realize Christianity is splintered even more ways than just the 45,000 (approximate number) of different denominations indicate. I realize now that there are individual Christians, and furthermore, there are people who call themselves Christian and deny everyone else the right to call themselves Christian.

So there is only one True Christian left in the world.

Is that you?

there are as many types of Christians as there are Denominations.

as there are for Jews and Mulsims (and Hindus)

100's of not more in each Faith.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Frank N Stein wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:14 pm
Israel is Jewish. It's unique and wonderful.
what makes Israel "unique and wonderful"?

are you Israeli? - i.e. why do you defend here so much? what is your pesonal link to your bias WRT to her?

i wish to understand your bias here.
Walker

Post by Walker »

-1- wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:32 am Nick_A and Walker: the infighting between leaves has started. They don't per se go at each other's throats, but each give a completely different version on the interpretation of the tree metaphor.
If someone has a version of tree where cutting the root doesn’t wither leaves then they’re barking up the fantasy tree. The only variable among metaphors is what the root and the leaves represent in the metaphor that one is presenting. You seem to be representing leaves as different interpretations of Christianity. If so, then what does the cut root represent in your metaphor?
-1-

Post by -1- »

Walker wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:11 pm
-1- wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:32 am Nick_A and Walker: the infighting between leaves has started. They don't per se go at each other's throats, but each give a completely different version on the interpretation of the tree metaphor.
If someone has a version of tree where cutting the root doesn’t wither leaves then they’re barking up the fantasy tree. The only variable among metaphors is what the root and the leaves represent in the metaphor that one is presenting. You seem to be representing leaves as different interpretations of Christianity. If so, then what does the cut root represent in your metaphor?
The metaphor is not mine. It was presented to me.
-1-

Post by -1- »

gaffo wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:21 am
Frank N Stein wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:14 pm
Israel is Jewish. It's unique and wonderful.
what makes Israel "unique and wonderful"?

are you Israeli? - i.e. why do you defend here so much? what is your pesonal link to your bias WRT to her?

i wish to understand your bias here.
A. Every country is unique. Gaffo, you are saying that Israel is a sole exception to this rule?
B. Every thing deemed to be wonderful is an artistic judgment, which needs not to be biassed in order to be subjective. "Beauty (or quality of being wonderful) lies in the visual perceptive organ of the beholder."
-1-

Post by -1- »

gaffo wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:11 am
Frank N Stein wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:14 pm Ever heard of Mohammad Mosaddegh?
yep. 1953,

i know history.
Frank N Stein wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:14 pm Israel is Jewish.

yes, as long as it chooses that above being a Democracy/republic - it the same as Saudi Arabia.

a theocracy.

I support Republics, not theocracies.
I am not sure if Israel's constitution as a state has complete and exhaustive compliance to the tenets of the torah.

Saudi Arabia's constitution does have complete and exhaustive compliance to the tenets of the Koran.

If I am accurate (by chance, because I did not research this) in the two statements above, then Saudi Arabia is a theocracy, and Israel is not a theocracy.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Walker wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:45 pm Of what concern is in-fighting to an outsider?

The concern is to easily point out the inherent and irreconcilable failure of Christianity as a coherent faith. If its alleged god's words were indeed the words of a god, then there would be uniformity of worship.

Philosophy need not be faith-based.

The only reason to care about another’s philosophy is to evaluate it as a potential threat to well-being or life in regards to yourself or innocents.

This I don't buy. Take your example or mine, or anyone else's on this board. None of the opposing philosophies for anyone concerned is a potential threat to well-being or life. Yet we argue about the finer details, because we CARE. ERGO, your claim is false.

If another’s philosophy requires the other to determine how you or others should live and think, then that’s a threat to you or others.

If another’s philosophy demands that you or others conform to their philosophy or else die, then that’s a threat to you or others.

Christianity requires nothing of you * the outsider, L'Étranger.

it certainly does. Abortions are banned by Christian faiths. Murder is frowned upon. Debauchery, whether you are an outsider or not.

In the USA, if another’s philosophy demands nothing from you or others, and if another’s philosophy requires speaking the truth of that philosophy, then here are your options.

Learn tolerance to bear it, or suffer the hearing of it if you can’t learn tolerance, or physically stop your hearing, or silence the speaker either legally or illegally.

One more options: prove him wrong logically. That's the accepted and wide-spread practice on these boards.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Walker wrote:: Christianity requires nothing of you * the outsider, L'Étranger.
-1- wrote:: it certainly does. Abortions are banned by Christian faiths. Murder is frowned upon. Debauchery, whether you are an outsider or not.
- Christians don’t ban abortions to those outside the Christian faith.

- A bit of frowning upon their murdering and debauched ways is all the outsiders need fear from Christianity. Any beheadings as punishment will come from either the secular or some other religion.

- Ergo, Christianity requires nothing of you, the outsider.