The Liar's paradox

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Speakpigeon

Re: The Liar's paradox

Post by Speakpigeon »

Logik wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:40 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:35 pm Why the question?
Indeed. Why?
Sure but why not the question and not the question?
EB
Logik

Post by Logik »

Speakpigeon wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:47 pm I guess you've found even more insane than you.
By what criteria do you determine that people who choose to manipulate symbols differently to you are 'insane'?
Speakpigeon

Post by Speakpigeon »

Logik wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:03 pm
Speakpigeon wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:47 pm I guess you've found even more insane than you.
By what criteria do you determine that people who choose to manipulate symbols differently to you are 'insane'?
Your posts are insane. That's looks like a giveaway.
I'm assuming those are your posts?
Or rather, I'm assuming these posts are somebody's posts.
So, yeah, I'm assuming a lot.
Maybe you're not insane because you just don't exist.
Jeez, I haven't thought about that!
EB
Logik

Post by Logik »

Speakpigeon wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:37 pm
Logik wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:03 pm By what criteria do you determine that people who choose to manipulate symbols differently to you are 'insane'?
Your posts are insane. That's looks like a giveaway.
Petitio principii.
Speakpigeon wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:37 pm I'm assuming those are your posts?
Or rather, I'm assuming these posts are somebody's posts.
So, yeah, I'm assuming a lot.
Maybe you're not insane because you just don't exist.
Jeez, I haven't thought about that!
EB
They are all my posts. What makes them 'insane'?
Speakpigeon

Post by Speakpigeon »

Logik wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:34 pm They are all my posts. What makes them 'insane'?
Good.
So, here is a very small by representative sample:
Logik wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:22 pm I will provide a “rational proof” that I am not a “moronic idiot” when you define the criteria for rationality in Lambda calculus.
Insane.
Logik wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:22 pm Till then - you can’t frame the debate because you are dogmatic.
Insane.
Logik wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:22 pm You are yet to figure out that you can think for yourself.
Insane.
Three times insane.
Isn't that already much too much?!
EB
Speakpigeon

Post by Speakpigeon »

Greta wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:50 am A lot of complicated answers that I don't understand :)

What I see are three abstract objects:

1. the container - the statement
2. the container's contents - that refers to the statement - and
3. true/false assessments of the contents and their relation to the container.

I can't put my finger on it but there seems to be a linguistic issue, maybe a vagueness, with the assessment that creates the paradox.
There is nothing vague about the sentence.
The only very vague thing, really, is your reply.
Whenever you get to firm things up, we'll have something to discuss.
EB
Greta

Post by Greta »

Speakpigeon wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:33 pm
Greta wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:50 am A lot of complicated answers that I don't understand :)

What I see are three abstract objects:

1. the container - the statement
2. the container's contents - that refers to the statement - and
3. true/false assessments of the contents and their relation to the container.

I can't put my finger on it but there seems to be a linguistic issue, maybe a vagueness, with the assessment that creates the paradox.
There is nothing vague about the sentence.
The only very vague thing, really, is your reply.
Whenever you get to firm things up, we'll have something to discuss.
EB
Sure, chew on this: http://steve-patterson.com/resolving-the-liars-paradox/

After a long dissertation it's concluded that:
Again, we’ve gotten no closer to a proposition to evaluate as true or false. If “the following sentence” and “the previous sentence” are references, then there will never be a truth claim being made. They are simply two phrases pointing to each other. There are other ways to formulate the liar’s paradox, and they all follow the same pattern. They appear to be sensible at first glance, but once you unpack the meaning of the terms, they are revealed to be linguistic errors.
"Linguistic errors" seems pretty compatible with "vagueness".
Logik

Post by Logik »

Greta wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:18 pm "Linguistic errors" seems pretty compatible with "vagueness".
Well, I asked him to define his criteria in Mathematics. Which would address any vagueness in the discussion. Apparently that's "insane".

We might as well be playing chess with a pigeon...
Speakpigeon

Post by Speakpigeon »

Greta wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:18 pm
Again, we’ve gotten no closer to a proposition to evaluate as true or false.
Sure, but that's precisely why mathematicians say it's a paradox. What's new?
If “the following sentence” and “the previous sentence” are references, then there will never be a truth claim being made.
That's pretty idiotic and patently false.
The sentence is a truth claim: This sentence is false.
We all understand what it means. No vagueness at all. We can all use this very sentence to make truth claims about other sentences.
When used to refer to itself, though, we get a paradox, but we nonetheless still have a truth claim. It's one we cannot decide whether it is true but it is still a truth claim.
They are simply two phrases pointing to each other. There are other ways to formulate the liar’s paradox, and they all follow the same pattern. They appear to be sensible at first glance, but once you unpack the meaning of the terms, they are revealed to be linguistic errors.
Unfortunately, nothing has been unpacked. I already knew this webpage. What he explains here is not substantially different from the 2,400 years old explanation given by mathematicians and philosophers that there is a paradox. So, Mr. Patterson here is just engaging in wishful thinking.
The sentence is simple and easily understood. So, what's the problem?
EB
Logik

Post by Logik »

Speakpigeon wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:47 pm The sentence is a truth claim: This sentence is false.
What the fuck is a truth-claim? e.g which theory of truth are you are appealing to? There are at least 20 of them...
Speakpigeon wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:47 pm We all understand what it means. No vagueness at all.
Who is "we"? I don't understand what it means.
The sentence contains zero bits of information - therefore it is infinitely vague.
Speakpigeon wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:47 pm We can all use this very sentence to make truth claims about other sentences.
See first point above. What the fuck is a truth-claim?
Speakpigeon wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:47 pm The sentence is simple and easily understood. So, what's the problem?
The problem is whether you interpret the sentence in context of classical logic or type theory

https://books.google.co.za/books?id=LkD ... 22&f=false
type-theory.png
type-theory.png (65.73 KiB) Viewed 2767 times
Wyman

Post by Wyman »

Logik wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:53 pm
Speakpigeon wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:47 pm The sentence is a truth claim: This sentence is false.
What the fuck is a truth-claim? e.g which theory of truth are you are appealing to? There are at least 20 of them...
Speakpigeon wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:47 pm We all understand what it means. No vagueness at all.
The sentence contains zero bits of information - therefore it is infinitely vague.
Speakpigeon wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:47 pm We can all use this very sentence to make truth claims about other sentences.
Speakpigeon wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:47 pm The sentence is simple and easily understood. So, what's the problem?
The problem is whether you interpret the sentence in context of classical logic or type theory

type-theory.png
A 'truth claim' is a proposition. It asserts something about the world. And it asserts that that something is true. His sentence is asserting that the sentence 'This sentence is false' is true.
Logik

Post by Logik »

Wyman wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:56 am

type-theory.png
A 'truth claim' is a proposition. It asserts something about the world. And it asserts that that something is true. His sentence is asserting that the sentence 'This sentence is false' is true.
Rinse/repeat.

What the fuck is an assertion?

If you paid attention to the book I posted above propositions are types in Homotopy.

How do you assert the truth-value of a proposition?
Speakpigeon

Post by Speakpigeon »

Speakpigeon wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:47 pm The sentence is a truth claim
What the fuck is a truth-claim?
???
Look it up?
truth claim
a hypothesis not yet verified by experience.
Do you speak English?
You seem to, but you're insane.
EB
Wyman

Post by Wyman »

Logik wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:50 am

type-theory.png
Rinse/repeat.

If you paid attention to the book I posted above propositions are types in Homotopy.

If your answer to most questions involves type theory, then why not start a thread on that topic? But referring people to books is not in the spirit of a discussion forum. I think most people know what an assertion is, but in the spirit of your conversation style, I would refer you to Websters if you are not clear.
Logik

Post by Logik »

Wyman wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:24 pm
Logik wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:50 am

Rinse/repeat.

If your answer to most questions involves type theory, then why not start a thread on that topic? But referring people to books is not in the spirit of a discussion forum. I think most people know what an assertion is, but in the spirit of your conversation style, I would refer you to Websters if you are not clear.
My answer - to most questions is that there are at least 20 theories of truth.

There is the coherence theory, correspondence theory, pragmatic theory, semantic theory, many truth-religions to choose from.

And so in the spirit of discussion - you may want to be clear which religion you subscribe to.

I already told you yet beyond logic “truth” is nonsense.