We need to talk...

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Post Reply
philosopher
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:37 pm

We need to talk...

Post by philosopher » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:23 pm

- about the way we discuss stuff on this board.

Whenever someone disagrees, all they have to say is: "Your premise is flawed" or "you are wrong". Without even a hint of argument of their position.

I'd like that if we could get some arguments. WHY is the premise flawed? WHY are the opponents wrong? Provide sources or counter-arguments.

Please!

User avatar
bahman
Posts: 2087
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: We need to talk...

Post by bahman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:05 pm

I agree. People also need to say that they agree when they are convinced.

philosopher
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:37 pm

Re: We need to talk...

Post by philosopher » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:44 pm

bahman wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:05 pm
I agree. People also need to say that they agree when they are convinced.
Exactly.

FlashDangerpants
Posts: 1751
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: We need to talk...

Post by FlashDangerpants » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:56 pm

philosopher wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:23 pm
- about the way we discuss stuff on this board.

Whenever someone disagrees, all they have to say is: "Your premise is flawed" or "you are wrong". Without even a hint of argument of their position.

I'd like that if we could get some arguments. WHY is the premise flawed? WHY are the opponents wrong? Provide sources or counter-arguments.

Please!
You are being toyed with by a guy who isn't revealing his intentions. I told you that, and I told you that I am going to hold my cards for a while to see how his plan goes. You want to see my hand, get back in there and let him finish mugging you. Then I'll maybe save you. Or perhaps not. Depends if he's smarter than I thought, I haven't seen his actual point yet.

A mod should delete this thread, it's passive aggression to no purpose.

Frank N Stein
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:03 am

Re: We need to talk...

Post by Frank N Stein » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:18 am

bahman wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:05 pm
I agree. People also need to say that they agree when they are convinced.
You mean admit that they were wrong? More chance of finding a chicken with lips. When people on here lose an argument they just go silent and hope that no one will notice that they didn't get the last word in. Most people are too arrogant to admit even to themselves when they are wrong. You only have to look at all the bible thumpers on here.

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 4733
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

"You mean admit that they were wrong? More chance of finding a chicken with lips."

Post by henry quirk » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:19 pm

One good reason (though not the only) folks admit nuthin' is some winners here aren't gracious.

Over the years, I've been wrong on a number of things, and I've admitted it (grudgingly). Only on a couple of occasions were my opponents gracious about it. More often, the opponent keeps on 'lecturing', sometimes with sharp condescension. Who the hell wants to read that? Not enough for the a body to admit error, no: they gotta eat shit too.

So: is it any wonder folks sometimes just drop the conversation instead of admit error?

Logik
Posts: 4048
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:48 pm

Re: "You mean admit that they were wrong? More chance of finding a chicken with lips."

Post by Logik » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:39 pm

henry quirk wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:19 pm
One good reason (though not the only) folks admit nuthin' is some winners here aren't gracious.
Neither are some losers. Maybe I am the only idiot on here who wants to be wrong...

If I was wrong then it means I just learned something. That's a cause for celebration - not saving face.

User avatar
bahman
Posts: 2087
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: We need to talk...

Post by bahman » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:42 pm

The point is that people who think like the winner or otherwise realize that. Those who think otherwise then are encouraged to find their mistake.
Last edited by bahman on Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 4733
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

"If I was wrong then it means I just learned something. That's a cause for celebration - not saving face."

Post by henry quirk » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:56 pm

Agreed (if indeed there is 'celebration').

philosopher
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:37 pm

Re: "You mean admit that they were wrong? More chance of finding a chicken with lips."

Post by philosopher » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:35 pm

Logik wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:39 pm
henry quirk wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:19 pm
One good reason (though not the only) folks admit nuthin' is some winners here aren't gracious.
Neither are some losers. Maybe I am the only idiot on here who wants to be wrong...

If I was wrong then it means I just learned something. That's a cause for celebration - not saving face.
Agreed. Philosophical discussions should be about learning new arguments, or counterarguments.

Philosphical discussions is not about winning or saving face. It is about learning about the world we live in.

I wish I was wrong about a lot of my own conclusions and premises, especially in the politics-sub forum.
I hope someone will convince me.

duszek
Posts: 2250
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:27 pm
Location: Thin Air

Re: We need to talk...

Post by duszek » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:47 pm

Why is it important to anyone here to save face ?
We are all anonymous, aren´t we ?

We have no faces worth mentioning, we have no reputation either.

I for one don´t mind being wrong. Nobody knows me here, nobody from my real world knows that I argue here.

I come here to clarify my own thinking.

User avatar
HexHammer
Posts: 3213
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: We need to talk...

Post by HexHammer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:34 am

philosopher wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:23 pm
- about the way we discuss stuff on this board.

Whenever someone disagrees, all they have to say is: "Your premise is flawed" or "you are wrong". Without even a hint of argument of their position.
You are wasting your breath, most here has an IQ ranging from 70-100 which is insufficient to have an intelligent talk, even worse ..it's like this on all philosophy forums, happy cozy chatters babbling and raving all day and all nite!

Only 2 - 3 people have sufficient rational and IQ to have a descent debate!

User avatar
bahman
Posts: 2087
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: We need to talk...

Post by bahman » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:44 pm

HexHammer wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:34 am
philosopher wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:23 pm
- about the way we discuss stuff on this board.

Whenever someone disagrees, all they have to say is: "Your premise is flawed" or "you are wrong". Without even a hint of argument of their position.
You are wasting your breath, most here has an IQ ranging from 70-100 which is insufficient to have an intelligent talk, even worse ..it's like this on all philosophy forums, happy cozy chatters babbling and raving all day and all nite!

Only 2 - 3 people have sufficient rational and IQ to have a descent debate!
Yes, we are all dumb. :mrgreen:

Walker
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: We need to listen ...

Post by Walker » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:54 am

That's better.

Perhaps, deaf and not dumb.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests