We need to talk...

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

philosopher

We need to talk...

Post by philosopher »

- about the way we discuss stuff on this board.

Whenever someone disagrees, all they have to say is: "Your premise is flawed" or "you are wrong". Without even a hint of argument of their position.

I'd like that if we could get some arguments. WHY is the premise flawed? WHY are the opponents wrong? Provide sources or counter-arguments.

Please!
bahman

Re: We need to talk...

Post by bahman »

I agree. People also need to say that they agree when they are convinced.
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

bahman wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:05 pm I agree. People also need to say that they agree when they are convinced.
Exactly.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

philosopher wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:23 pm - about the way we discuss stuff on this board.

Whenever someone disagrees, all they have to say is: "Your premise is flawed" or "you are wrong". Without even a hint of argument of their position.

I'd like that if we could get some arguments. WHY is the premise flawed? WHY are the opponents wrong? Provide sources or counter-arguments.

Please!
You are being toyed with by a guy who isn't revealing his intentions. I told you that, and I told you that I am going to hold my cards for a while to see how his plan goes. You want to see my hand, get back in there and let him finish mugging you. Then I'll maybe save you. Or perhaps not. Depends if he's smarter than I thought, I haven't seen his actual point yet.

A mod should delete this thread, it's passive aggression to no purpose.
Frank N Stein

Post by Frank N Stein »

bahman wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:05 pm I agree. People also need to say that they agree when they are convinced.
You mean admit that they were wrong? More chance of finding a chicken with lips. When people on here lose an argument they just go silent and hope that no one will notice that they didn't get the last word in. Most people are too arrogant to admit even to themselves when they are wrong. You only have to look at all the bible thumpers on here.
henry quirk

"You mean admit that they were wrong? More chance of finding a chicken with lips."

Post by henry quirk »

One good reason (though not the only) folks admit nuthin' is some winners here aren't gracious.

Over the years, I've been wrong on a number of things, and I've admitted it (grudgingly). Only on a couple of occasions were my opponents gracious about it. More often, the opponent keeps on 'lecturing', sometimes with sharp condescension. Who the hell wants to read that? Not enough for the a body to admit error, no: they gotta eat shit too.

So: is it any wonder folks sometimes just drop the conversation instead of admit error?
Logik

Re: "You mean admit that they were wrong? More chance of finding a chicken with lips."

Post by Logik »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:19 pm One good reason (though not the only) folks admit nuthin' is some winners here aren't gracious.
Neither are some losers. Maybe I am the only idiot on here who wants to be wrong...

If I was wrong then it means I just learned something. That's a cause for celebration - not saving face.
bahman

Post by bahman »

The point is that people who think like the winner or otherwise realize that. Those who think otherwise then are encouraged to find their mistake.
Last edited by bahman on Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henry quirk

"If I was wrong then it means I just learned something. That's a cause for celebration - not saving face."

Post by henry quirk »

Agreed (if indeed there is 'celebration').
philosopher

Re: "You mean admit that they were wrong? More chance of finding a chicken with lips."

Post by philosopher »

Logik wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:39 pm
henry quirk wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:19 pm One good reason (though not the only) folks admit nuthin' is some winners here aren't gracious.
Neither are some losers. Maybe I am the only idiot on here who wants to be wrong...

If I was wrong then it means I just learned something. That's a cause for celebration - not saving face.
Agreed. Philosophical discussions should be about learning new arguments, or counterarguments.

Philosphical discussions is not about winning or saving face. It is about learning about the world we live in.

I wish I was wrong about a lot of my own conclusions and premises, especially in the politics-sub forum.
I hope someone will convince me.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Why is it important to anyone here to save face ?
We are all anonymous, aren´t we ?

We have no faces worth mentioning, we have no reputation either.

I for one don´t mind being wrong. Nobody knows me here, nobody from my real world knows that I argue here.

I come here to clarify my own thinking.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

philosopher wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:23 pm - about the way we discuss stuff on this board.

You are wasting your breath, most here has an IQ ranging from 70-100 which is insufficient to have an intelligent talk, even worse ..it's like this on all philosophy forums, happy cozy chatters babbling and raving all day and all nite!

Only 2 - 3 people have sufficient rational and IQ to have a descent debate!
bahman

Post by bahman »

HexHammer wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:34 am

You are wasting your breath, most here has an IQ ranging from 70-100 which is insufficient to have an intelligent talk, even worse ..it's like this on all philosophy forums, happy cozy chatters babbling and raving all day and all nite!

Only 2 - 3 people have sufficient rational and IQ to have a descent debate!
Yes, we are all dumb. :mrgreen:
Walker

Re: We need to listen ...

Post by Walker »

That's better.

Perhaps, deaf and not dumb.