How much is enough?

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Nick_A

Re: How much is enough?

Post by Nick_A »

Walker wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:22 am
Nick_A wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:28 pm
Walker wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:08 pm Understandable when advances in nutrition cause a typical one to weigh rather heavily on the arcane these days.
Quite true. I see you understand how the concept can relate to particle physics. It is essential to keep the idea pure so that its ramifications can only become obvious at the right time. In this way it cannot be taken lightly,
As does light, all short-timers reach the timeless view of no-time when knowledge suddenly empties like the proverbial straw that touched the camel’s back, or like a balloon one drop past the limit, or like a well-timed wafer-thin mint.
Man was once in danger of extinction because of problems with light. Man was adapting wrongly and mostly because of fictitious reasoning beginning more and more to resemble a cockeyed squid.

https://www.mbari.org/the-curious-eyes- ... yed-squid/

Fortunately because of the unique balancing properties of the henway nature must have put into available food sources our species began to become less cockeyed and more dignified. It is believed that some of this cockeyedness remains in our species but will gradually become less and less because of normal adaptation thanks to the extraordinary properties of the henway now that we are beginning to know what it is..
Walker

Post by Walker »

This is precisely why Moby the great white whale so hated the slimy squid from the depths. As master of darkness the squid knew mans’ thirst for light, and pointing what passed for its mouth to the source of light whispered upwards, whale oil. Whale oil will light the lanterns at night to prolong mans’ little patch of sunshine.

Mankind heard the whispers and like all giants Moby was caught in the middle by circumstance and in his case, an incarnation of exceptional blubbery and flammable girth, caught in the middle with killer man above and the squid of chaos whispering doom from below, the stalking critter’s barbed suckers awaiting within tentacles uncountable, from within their intertwined and writhing chaos, (and that's just from above.)

Then man adapted properly, and discovered the dormant, plentiful gift of refined petroleum products to light the future and all was good, for awhile.

Surely the henway* knows enough of this natural ordering to exist as a significant element of light conditions.

*Shirley the Henway?
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Walker wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:12 am How much is enough?

If you knew you had only a week left, would you spend it learning something new?
Yes! How to stretch it to much longer than a week! ;-)

I once heard somewhere that Leonardo da Vinci was the last person to know everything.
Incorrect! It could only be said, "that it was said, that he knew everything that was currently known in his time." Anything less is a very easily understood falsehood. The harder thing to prove either way would be whether or not he knew everything known in his time or not. But then you voted for trump so your level of ignorance has well been noted. Then again you have one thing going for you, yes it's music appreciation. And that's about it! ;-) Well it's at least all that I've observed... :lol:

Whether or not that’s true, it sounds possible, within the realm of human capacity at that time.
Really??? In a time where news was promulgated by way of wooden ship and horseback? Seriously? Again afflicted with Trumpitis, it would surely seem! :lol:

Charles Krauthammer said that his father told him to learn everything, so he tried to do that.
These days, a lifetime isn’t long enough to learn everything.
And relatively, it probably never was.

After the point of no return, why keep dumping life down the bottomless well of acquiring knowledge?
What else is there to live for, after the joy of candy and sexual gratification are null and void?
Walker

Post by Walker »

I once heard somewhere that Leonardo da Vinci was the last person to know everything.

Hey there, sphere. Always liked that name for reasons first explained although as I recall you claim ignorance of knowing your name's significance, but I think you were just pulling my leg.

Incorrect! It could only be said, "that it was said, that he knew everything that was currently known in his time."

:D

I would invite you to consider this. In his time, no one knew of helicopter design, no one of that time knew so well the secret of commanding a king's ransom with proper placement of pigment with boar's-hair brushes and God-knows what else. Eventually reality caught up with his imagination and history objectively judged his painterly eye, and called it good.

So to your nein, he knew both the known and the unknown.

Did you see the Leonardo that recently disappeared after being purchased for just about all the money they is, they is*?

* Last words, or close to it, of a great short story. It was on the tip of my fingers to post the audio link, but the story is so good it could tip the unbalanced, so that's the little voice of nein.
SpheresOfBalance

Walker wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:02 pm I once heard somewhere that Leonardo da Vinci was the last person to know everything.
Again, as I illuminated, it would be impossible to know such a thing, and for anyone to entertain such that any single man could know everything, in any time, is ludicrous. And all that you say below is an attempt at subterfuge more than anything else.

Hey there, sphere. Always liked that name for reasons first explained although as I recall you claim ignorance of knowing your name's significance, but I think you were just pulling my leg.
Your memory is clouded but it's to be expected, so many people, so little time, so full of ignorance.
My nym is of my coinage, thus only I know of it's meaning, that one or another projects their own meaning is inconsequential and irrelevant to that which was the intent of the original coinage.

Incorrect! It could only be said, "that it was said, that he knew everything that was currently known in his time."
:D

I would invite you to consider this. In his time, no one knew of helicopter design,
No walker, the horse is to be put before the cart. He invented the idea of a helicopter. It's worked the same with all invention, it always starts somewhere, usually within it's time, that time in which the past informs a particular mind, that can put it all together, with a little imagination of course. For all you know he could have been fascinated with Maple seeds!

no one of that time knew so well the secret of commanding a king's ransom with proper placement of pigment with boar's-hair brushes and God-knows what else.
Again, you're attempting to place the cart before the horse, so 'll remind you of a simple concept: "hindsight is 20/20." Or apparently in your case 0/0.

Eventually reality caught up with his imagination and history objectively judged his painterly eye, and called it good.
You seriously have a problem with sequence don't you, I bet you believe what they say about Nostradamus is true.

So to your nein, he knew both the known and the unknown.
Ridiculous, but to such a mind as yours, I can see where you might think such. It's the Trumpitis flaring up! You know, seeing something that's not really there!

Did you see the Leonardo that recently disappeared after being purchased for just about all the money they is, they is*?
That people want to have more than others and believe it makes them special is old hat. On the pedestal that one places a particular art piece thus the artist, they do not rise to, simply because they have purchased that art. Hero worship is simply acknowledging ones own inabilities. Worshipping them does not make one a hero.

* Last words, or close to it, of a great short story. It was on the tip of my fingers to post the audio link, but the story is so good it could tip the unbalanced, so that's the little voice of nein.
Fear not my fellow music aficionado. Nothing you could ever post would ever tip anything for me, as I see that you're quite incapable of providing such. I mean almost the entire free world sees your boy as the fool he so apparently is. Not that I believe they followed my lead, it's just that they are in fact as clear headed as I am, when it comes to weighing and measuring someone and finding them wanting. ;-) So post the link, I need a good belly laugh, that only you could provide.
Walker

Post by Walker »

That's very interesting, however all those nos were considered before moving further, to yes.

Word colors do not equate to colorful word-pictures, but like shined-shoes the presentation does look nice, and the words of various colors do distinguish the dialogue, as if that's even necessary in this instance given that horse-cart load of yours that you painted up.

You do realize you could be much larger than that, given the material, but likely you've had enough and more material will just be more to reduce to the shovel*, and paint. By now you've shirley had more than enough mettle-provers to think more will change you to enough, despite the evidence.

:wink:

The SOC** once again reveals The Year of Music.

*The Road Apples
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hZy9oXtu9w

** A knowledge source for dissection, or on-the-go intellectual vivisection for the sloganeers.
SpheresOfBalance

Walker wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:51 am That's very interesting, however all those nos were considered before moving further, to yes.
Such is mankind's development, but it's more accurate to say "those things that any particular individual realizes bears real truth," and "those things that any particular individual realizes bears real falsehood," because there is simply belief after all, which doesn't necessarily bear either one. Except that is, for the state of any particular minds eye, clouded or not.

Word colors do not equate to colorful word-pictures, but like shined-shoes the presentation does look nice, and the words of various colors do distinguish the dialogue, as if that's even necessary in this instance given that horse-cart load of yours that you painted up.
When it comes to collegiate argument, I'm all function, never form, but then I'm that way with most things, so in this case you've allowed colors to distract you from purpose; more of your projections of falsehood! And seemingly for you to not understand the horse-cart reality of mankind's evolution, it would seem the load of excrement has been dumped upon you. But then that's been quite apparent, to the learned, since you announced your being a man of Trumpdumb! ;-)

You do realize you could be much larger than that,
Thank you for the reduction of what is actually the case.

given the material, but likely you've had enough and more material will just be more to reduce to the shovel*, and paint.
Colors matter less than the conceptualizations of humankind that one attempts to illuminate in all their truth or falsehood.

By now you've shirley had more than enough mettle-provers to think more will change you to enough, despite the evidence.
There is never enough, unless one be a fool. To grow until one dies the only solution, the revisionist nature of the scientific method rings true, always, as evidence is an ongoing process. Shirley you understand the immaturity of man...
...,Shirley?

:wink:
SOB: :lol:

The SOC** once again reveals The Year of Music.

*The Road Apples
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hZy9oXtu9w

** A knowledge source for dissection, or on-the-go intellectual vivisection for the sloganeers.

From the SOB: For ones edification/education:

Drink of Water
By: Ambrosia (1975)

Someone talks about a road
At the end find life's gold

I went out to get a drink of water
But i saw an ocean far away
I thought of how much beyond awaits me
Foolishly I turned my head the other way

Do you like where you're livin' at?
I'm not happy inside
You could build a golden house
Yeah but still I'm sad inside

I set out on a long and lonely journey
And travelled through some strange and distant lands
And many times I thought i'd found life's meaning
But it slipped away like water in the sand

Do you like where you're livin' at?
I'm not happy inside
You could build a golden house
Yeah but still I'm sad inside

One summer storm, I'm waitin' for the sun
One summer storm, I've waited so long
Waited so long yeahhhhhhhh!

In our lives, we've all drank of the water
And heard the ocean callin' out our names
Some will seek and find their life's meaning
And some will turn their heads the other way...
Well after listening to that, all I can say is,"I'm sorry Walker..."

And my journey continues, until my last breath!
;-)

"Man foolishly 'believes' he knows, his fear of death the reason!
roydop

Post by roydop »

If you knew you had only a week left, would you spend it learning something new?

I once heard somewhere that Leonardo da Vinci was the last person to know everything. Whether or not that’s true, it sounds possible, within the realm of human capacity at that time.

Charles Krauthammer said that his father told him to learn everything, so he tried to do that.
These days, a lifetime isn’t long enough to learn everything.

After the point of no return, why keep dumping life down the bottomless well of acquiring knowledge?
It is endless. Until one comes to see the inherent emptiness in all thought and sense experience, the search for reality and contentment will continue.
This is why humanity is turning in on itself and why we have all of the problems that we have. Instead of moving into the reality (Enlightenment) we have chosen to prop up the illusion (via thought).

There is only one thing that needs to be known. After that all seeking ends. One will not find the one thing within thought. Thought is what creates the illusion. Delve deeply into the space between thoughts. It is HERE that you will find what you are looking for.
Walker

Post by Walker »

roydop wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:56 pm
It is endless. Until one comes to see the inherent emptiness in all thought and sense experience, the search for reality and contentment will continue.
This is why humanity is turning in on itself and why we have all of the problems that we have. Instead of moving into the reality (Enlightenment) we have chosen to prop up the illusion (via thought).

There is only one thing that needs to be known. After that all seeking ends. One will not find the one thing within thought. Thought is what creates the illusion. Delve deeply into the space between thoughts. It is HERE that you will find what you are looking for.
Energy and the Information Infrastructure Part 3: The Digital 'Engines of Innovation' & Jevons' Delicious Paradox
https://www.realclearenergy.org/article ... 10368.html

How much processing power might society ultimately consume? Data and information constitute a feature of our universe that is, like the universe itself, essentially infinite. There is no limit to our appetite to acquire data in order to gain greater knowledge and control of our world.

So, finally, on this 60th anniversary of the logic engine, one more transportation analogy: the 60th anniversary of the invention of the internal combustion engine was 1936. We know now that 1936 was early days in the rise in consumption of road-miles. When it comes to consumption of processing power, it’s the equivalent of 1936.

By now the energy implications of what we might call the Jevons digital Paradox should be obvious. But far more important are the implications of all the innovations yet to appear from the full flowering of the era of digital engines.

- Mark P. Mills, senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute and a McCormick School of Engineering Faculty Fellow at Northwestern University
Commentary: The need to consume information and the energy that need requires can either be a master or a slave. If it’s a slave then the need requires limitations.

Post by 11011 »

i think it depends on what you consider to be the purpose of knowledge

i think people who are never satisfied with what they know may not in fact value knowledge, ironically, but use it or the endeavor of its acquisition as a sort of crutch for something else

curiosity is not the same as obsession, and genuine curiosity is never obsessive; it is just like any other appetite, in that you satisfy it and move on to something else

if you value knowledge, you won't turn it into an obsession, since that is likely to obscure your lens through which you evaluate and assimilate, and also make you ironically hate knowledge, thus ruining a source of satisfaction in your life. you want to keep things clear and casual, with a sense of carefree, to allow the mind to gravitate toward what is relevant as it instinctively puts the pieces together as the mind tends to do
roydop

Post by roydop »

Karma can be summed up with one word: more.

Enlightenment can be summed up in one word: completion.
Walker

Post by Walker »

More Leonardo’s?
https://www.barrons.com/articles/nude-m ... 1551815518

:)
just kidding.

I figure karma means action (movement) of body, voice, and mind, and the implications of any or all three actions, so in the sense of phenomena manifesting, I see your point of "more."
roydop

Post by roydop »

The moment i came to see that "more" can continue infinitely... well i realized:

1. All experience is unsubstantial.
2. There is no conclusion going forward (focus on the external).
3. Completion is contentment/peace.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

As much as possible (qv below).
Walker wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:12 am If you knew you had only a week left, would you spend it learning something new?
Yes (qv below).
Walker wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:12 am After the point of no return, why keep dumping life down the bottomless well of acquiring knowledge?
I would choose to live until the last. Why not use the week to continue living as before? A healthy lifestyle includes lifelong learning. In and of itself, learning comprises healthy living. The benefits of learning include enhancement of self-satisfaction, pleasure and physical wellbeing.
Walker

Post by Walker »

commonsense wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:47 pm
As much as possible (qv below).
Walker wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:12 am If you knew you had only a week left, would you spend it learning something new?
Yes (qv below).
Walker wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:12 am After the point of no return, why keep dumping life down the bottomless well of acquiring knowledge?
I would choose to live until the last. Why not use the week to continue living as before? A healthy lifestyle includes lifelong learning. In and of itself, learning comprises healthy living. The benefits of learning include enhancement of self-satisfaction, pleasure and physical wellbeing.
Let’s say you feel fit as a fiddle, never better, on top of the world, full of vim and vigour, and you know for sure that next week you will retire and fly to a place you’ve never been before.

In addition to thinking of the future in terms of past clichés, you are going to seek knowledge that you don’t know. So, you check reviews by folks who have been to where you are going. You check the details of ticket prices, travel accommodations, living accommodations, water and food quality, etc.

You are naturally gaining this new knowledge with a purpose, to prepare for something else, namely, next week.

So, if you keep gaining new knowledge in your last week before everything changes for the body, it suspiciously looks like you’re preparing for something else.