Does the Human Brain Create or Receive Consciousness?

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Nick_A

Does the Human Brain Create or Receive Consciousness?

Post by Nick_A »

Does the human brain create consciousness or is it actually a receiver and interpreter of conscious influences?
"My brain is only a receiver, in the Universe there is a core from which we obtain knowledge, strength and inspiration. I have not penetrated into the secrets of this core, but I know that it exists." —Nikola Tesla
Tesla believed his brain was a receiver. I agree; do you?

Re: Does the Human Brain Create or Receive Consciousness?

Post by Age »

A human brain works just like a computer, it can only put out what has been put in, or from what it has received.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Age wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:30 am A human brain works just like a computer, it can only put out what has been put in, or from what it has received.
But received from where? Animal reactions are the result of life experiences and react as would a computer. Are you saying that human conscious action is the same as animal computerized reaction and limited to worldly influences and that the core of knowledge that Tesla wrote of doesn't exist?

Post by Age »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:52 am
Age wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:30 am A human brain works just like a computer, it can only put out what has been put in, or from what it has received.
But received from where?
From outside of itself, from and through the five senses.
Nick_A wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:52 amAnimal reactions are the result of life experiences and react as would a computer.
Okay.
Nick_A wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:52 amAre you saying that human conscious action is the same as animal computerized reaction and limited to worldly influences and that the core of knowledge that Tesla wrote of doesn't exist?
No. Nothing like that at all.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:42 am Does the human brain create consciousness or is it actually a receiver and interpreter of conscious influences?
"My brain is only a receiver, in the Universe there is a core from which we obtain knowledge, strength and inspiration. I have not penetrated into the secrets of this core, but I know that it exists." —Nikola Tesla
Note Hume's critique of 'cause and effect' i.e.
marble1 knocking did not cause marble2's effect of moving forward.
The explanation by Hume is, the whole event is due to psychology within the mind, i.e. due to customs, habits and exposure to constant conjunctions.

It is the same with the idea of the brain being a receiver of something conscious from outside itself. That is the common sense view but not the wiser philosophical view according to Hume justification which is ..
-- the whole event [brain being conscious] is due to the range of psychology within the mind, i.e. due to customs, habits and exposure to constant conjunctions.

As I had argued [link below], the brain being conscious is due to an emergence within the everything of reality-as-it-is.
viewtopic.php?p=390036#p390036
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:42 am Does the human brain create consciousness or is it actually a receiver and interpreter of conscious influences?
Absolutely. The brain however permeates back to its reality, by way of its control over its only output device...the body.

Hear no evil, See no evil, Speak no evil.

The odd one out? Speak no evil - it is the output.

Post by Age »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:19 am
Absolutely. The brain however permeates back to its reality, by way of its control over its only output device...the body.

Hear no evil, See no evil, Speak no evil.

The odd one out? Speak no evil - it is the output.
Agree wholeheartedly.

If human children lived in a "world" where they heard no evil and saw no evil, then they, themselves, would also speak/DO no evil.
bahman

Post by bahman »

None. Consciousness is ability of mind. Brain is a medium in which minds are able to interact with each other.
Nick_A wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:42 am
Physical in general is a medium that allows that minds interact with each other so brain is not a receiver.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Does anyone here distinguish between consciousness and the contents of consciousness? Tesla spoke of receiving consciousness which is interpreted by the brain according to its design as contents of consciousness. The brain creates contents of consciousness but consciousness itself is the source of our universe.
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Our body (and brain) is probably just an avatar. No more real than a holograph.

As Einstein said, when he realized that he'd lost the battle with Bohr:
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:52 am Are you saying that human conscious action is the same as animal computerized reaction and limited to worldly influences and that the core of knowledge that Tesla wrote of doesn't exist?
Yes that would make sense. A nice simple explanation that fits the facts and doesn't need any supernatural hypotheses.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Creates. There is no consciousness floating around in some aether that suddenly decides it needs to inhabit a zombie body, creating a no win scenario for it.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

In his upcoming book An Unknown World: Notes on the Meaning of the Earth, Jacob Needleman discusses “an entirely new kind of relationship between consciousness and nature, between consciousness and the earth, between consciousness and the human body here, now, in our lives.

What Descartes is showing us is something dramatically different from how he has been interpreted: He is showing us that in the capacity of the mind to concentrate its attention toward itself in pure thought—in that capacity there is a central element of Man that is not merely separate from nature, but beyond nature! Beyond earth!

What Descartes is offering is not more or less than the idea of the holy spirit expressed not in religious language, but in the language of the independent human mind, the aspect of man that is, in inception, in its embryonic form, beyond the created world of nature, beyond the earth.”
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

The question above and the yearning for ultimate answers to the above are driven by psychology impulses arising from an existential crisis.

Here is a point from Russell regarding the purpose and value of philosophy, i.e. wisdom;
Russell wrote:Thus, to sum up our discussion of the value of philosophy;

Philosophy is to be studied, not for the sake of any definite answers to its questions since no definite answers can, as a rule, be known to be true,
but rather for the sake of the questions themselves;

because these questions enlarge our conception of what is possible, enrich our intellectual imagination and diminish the dogmatic assurance which closes the mind against speculation; but above all because, through the greatness of the universe which philosophy contemplates, the mind also is rendered great, and becomes capable of that union with the universe which constitutes its highest good.
Thus in accordance to Russell, if one were to seek the ultimate answers to the OP, then one is not doing philosophy-proper, thus not seeking wisdom.
Note whatever is ultimate is an empirical impossibility.

What is critical is we must acknowledge the fact on an empirical basis, consciousness does emerge from our mind/brain. There is no dispute to this empirical fact.
Consciousness [waking or sub] as we know it, can contribute to good and evil.
Philosophically, the quest should be to understand its underlying principles and mechanics down to its deepest empirically possible level to the point we can control/modulate the consequences of good and evil. The objective is then to promote greater good and to prevent, reduce or eliminate evil.

To chase for the ultimate answers to human consciousness is philosophically immature, note Russell's on value of philosophy.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

V A
The question above and the yearning for ultimate answers to the above are driven by psychology impulses arising from an existential crisis.
Yes, this is an important time in a person’s life. They become aware of all that they are doing it but question why they re doing it. What is the meaning of it all. It can be a crisis but a crisis that can lead to the beginning of awakening or a further descent into self deception.

I agree that the purpose of philosophy worthy of the name philosophy is to expand the mind by creating questions rather than answers..
What is critical is we must acknowledge the fact on an empirical basis, consciousness does emerge from our mind/brain. There is no dispute to this empirical fact.
Consciousness [waking or sub] as we know it, can contribute to good and evil.
Philosophically, the quest should be to understand its underlying principles and mechanics down to its deepest empirically possible level to the point we can control/modulate the consequences of good and evil. The objective is then to promote greater good and to prevent, reduce or eliminate evil.

To chase for the ultimate answers to human consciousness is philosophically immature, note Russell's on value of philosophy.
You seem to be describing the sensory carnal mind which rises from below. However higher consciousness enters Man from above. Conscious evolution is our human potential

Are you familiar with the esoteric symbolism of the Cross? Take the Gnostic cross for example:

https://gnosticwarrior.com/gnostic-cross.html
The most simple explanation would be that it is an ancient Gnostic symbol representing both the upper and lower halves of our world. The seen and unseen. The material and spiritual world.

The upper half, or as above would represent the invisible spiritual world which is derived both ancient and modern conceptions of heaven and the empyrean. It can also be construed as the soul and or lord.

The lower half, or so below represents the aspects of the visible world of creation such as the human who is composed of various chemical matters from the as above planetary spheres.

The point in the middle of the two halves united in the cross represents spirit and matter becoming one. The soul in union with a physical human thus creating a spiritual being.
Man is dual natured. We have a higher part capable of consciousness and an animal part that functions in accordance with nature's laws. Anyone who understands this will understand the purpose of the Crucifixion. The higher consciously witnesses the lower and the New Man is created to reconcile it.

Higher conscious mind already exists and helps to awaken sensory Man when a person is ready.

As I understand it you re describing humanism and what humanism is capable of. As I understand it, without help from above fallen man is doomed to turn in circles and follow the natural cycles described in Ecclesiastes 3.
Humanism was not wrong in thinking that truth, beauty, liberty, and equality are of infinite value, but in thinking that man can get them for himself without grace. ~ Simone Weil
We live below Plato’s divided line or the intersection of the lines of the cross. Help from above comes from above the line. The secular world rejects it so everything just follows the mechanical natural cycles including war and peace. It is nature’s way. The person truly experiencing an existential crisis gets out of their own way and becomes open to receive the help of grace and can enter the Way to becoming themselves.