Anhedonia

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Anhedonia

Post by Walker »

duszek wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:38 pm Tonglen practice ?
With such a non-specific question I get a visual of someone staggering about, their arms raised outward and upwards towards the direction of their movement, face tilted upward with eyes closed, repeating the words, "Where am I? Where am I?"

And then there was the word. Google. And it was good.
Judaka

Post by Judaka »

Lie down and listen to some music even if you're not tired, eventually, you'll get bored and things might pop into your head on what you wish you were doing or could be doing and might give you some insight.
duszek

Post by duszek »

I remember a book by Paulo Coelho (who was himself in a mental hospital in Brazil three times) about a woman who decides to die ("Veronika decides to die").

She attempted a suicide, was delivered to a mental hostpital and the therapy was that the doctors lied to her about a damage to her heart caused by the attempted suicide, with the result that she had only one more week to live.

This gloomy prospect of her short life expectancy was supposed to make her appreciate life again.
It worked in her case, she was eager to live longer after all after the week was over and the lie revealed to her.

What´s the point of hurrying to death ? It will come on its own anyway.

One can try to be a savage rock musician and see if one feels reborn.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

duszek wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:29 pm I remember a book by Paulo Coelho (who was himself in a mental hospital in Brazil three times) about a woman who decides to die ("Veronika decides to die").

She attempted a suicide, was delivered to a mental hostpital and the therapy was that the doctors lied to her about a damage to her heart caused by the attempted suicide, with the result that she had only one more week to live.

This gloomy prospect of her short life expectancy was supposed to make her appreciate life again.
It worked in her case, she was eager to live longer after all after the week was over and the lie revealed to her.

What´s the point of hurrying to death ? It will come on its own anyway.

One can try to be a savage rock musician and see if one feels reborn.
Funny you mention that. It's normal in chronic depression to get a bit better as we age. The reason being? I believe it's because we are that much closer to not having to deal with it anymore.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:07 pm It's normal in chronic depression to get a bit better as we age. The reason being? I believe it's because we are that much closer to not having to deal with it anymore.
Yes! All the bad and undesirable things in life has its termination. That's the one guarantee which never fails and thus qualifies as the greatest of all consolations making even life bearable because one knows it will end or can be purposely ended. Contrary to logic, it's often thoughts like these which move life forward in spite of depression never ceasing to be the ruling agent of one's life.

Post by Age »

Depending on the specific definition one gives to the word 'anhedonia' does not every adult human being have anhedonia?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Dubious wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:04 am
Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:07 pm It's normal in chronic depression to get a bit better as we age. The reason being? I believe it's because we are that much closer to not having to deal with it anymore.
Yes! All the bad and undesirable things in life has its termination. That's the one guarantee which never fails and thus qualifies as the greatest of all consolations making even life bearable because one knows it will end or can be purposely ended. Contrary to logic, it's often thoughts like these which move life forward in spite of depression never ceasing to be the ruling agent of one's life.
It really is the one comfort in my life, and often the thought is like a big, happy hug.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Age wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:51 am Depending on the specific definition one gives to the word 'anhedonia' does not every adult human being have anhedonia?
It's perspective. Some are built to see the glass half empty. Others, not so. It's a very good point, delved into in detail in a show called 'Genetic Me', where good reasons are given from an evolutionary standpoint for why the variance between humans exist. In bad times, humanity continues because some thrive in the crap, while in good times, the more optimistic do. The human variance ensures survival of the species in good and bad times. The show is well worth the viewing.

Post by Age »

Dalek Prime wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:25 pm
Age wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:51 am Depending on the specific definition one gives to the word 'anhedonia' does not every adult human being have anhedonia?
It's perspective.
Yes, absolutely every thing is relative to the observer.
Dalek Prime wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:25 pmSome are built to see the glass half empty. Others, not so.
And others are "built", or more correctly 'choose', to neither look for nor see positive nor negative in any thing but rather to just look at and see what IS, instead. For example; if the water is half way up the glass, then it is half way.
Dalek Prime wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:25 pmIt's a very good point, delved into in detail in a show called 'Genetic Me', where good reasons are given from an evolutionary standpoint for why the variance between humans exist. In bad times, humanity continues because some thrive in the crap, while in good times, the more optimistic do. The human variance ensures survival of the species in good and bad times. The show is well worth the viewing.
I have NEVER noticed nor seen good nor bad times.

I just KNOW ALL adult human beings do not find pleasure and do not enjoy doing that what they once found pleasurable and enjoyed doing.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Still recommend the show to you, Age. It's interesting.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Given me your specific definition then but on the whole, no.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Age wrote:...
I just KNOW ALL adult human beings do not find pleasure and do not enjoy doing that what they once found pleasurable and enjoyed doing.
You know this how?

Post by Age »

Arising_uk wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:41 am
Age wrote:...
You know this how?
Intuition
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

So bollocks then.

Post by Age »

Another one.