Comment on 'The Ethics of Education in the Secular State'.

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Post Reply
Belinda
Posts: 2810
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Comment on 'The Ethics of Education in the Secular State'.

Post by Belinda » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:57 pm

The secular state should not tolerate religion in schools . Religiosity is always indoctrinated behaviour.

Impenitent
Posts: 2262
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Comment on 'The Ethics of Education in the Secular State'.

Post by Impenitent » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:18 pm

the religion of intolerance appeals to the totalitarian state

the state cannot abide your free choice

-Imp

Belinda
Posts: 2810
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Re: Comment on 'The Ethics of Education in the Secular State'.

Post by Belinda » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:19 pm

Impenitent wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:18 pm
the religion of intolerance appeals to the totalitarian state

the state cannot abide your free choice

-Imp
Intolerance is sometimes just. Indoctrination takes away freedom to choose.

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 4587
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Post by henry quirk » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:48 pm

One of the purposes of 'education' is to indoctrinate.

Consider what we have have to work with: intelligent carnivorous apes, wild, ill-mannered. Each and every one comes into the world as nuthin' more than instinct and appetitie. From the start we indoctrinate, we 'civilize', these bright apes, instructing them to not shit & piss themseves, to use utensils, to use the 'inside' voice, to 'share', and on and on. The semi-civilized ape grows, attends school. Along with readin', writin', and 'rithmetic, our proxies (teachers) continue 'socializing' (indoctrinating) the the animal 'out' and the human 'in'. When we parents agree with that 'socialzing' we nod and go about our business. When we disagree, we kvetch sumthin' fierce.

So, you, B, don't object to indoctrination. No, you object to a particular strain of indoctrination.

Impenitent
Posts: 2262
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Comment on 'The Ethics of Education in the Secular State'.

Post by Impenitent » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:02 am

Belinda wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:19 pm
Impenitent wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:18 pm
the religion of intolerance appeals to the totalitarian state

the state cannot abide your free choice

-Imp
Intolerance is sometimes just. Indoctrination takes away freedom to choose.
and intolerance promotes choice?

-Imp

Belinda
Posts: 2810
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Re: Comment on 'The Ethics of Education in the Secular State'.

Post by Belinda » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:22 pm

Impenitent wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:02 am
Belinda wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:19 pm
Impenitent wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:18 pm
the religion of intolerance appeals to the totalitarian state

the state cannot abide your free choice

-Imp
Intolerance is sometimes just. Indoctrination takes away freedom to choose.
and intolerance promotes choice?

-Imp
Sometimes people choose to be common criminals. Sometimes people choose to harm themselves or others. Such people have limited choices when they could have more choices if they were technically, socially, and morally well educated

Nick_A
Posts: 3877
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: Comment on 'The Ethics of Education in the Secular State'.

Post by Nick_A » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:57 pm

Belinda wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:19 pm
Impenitent wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:18 pm
the religion of intolerance appeals to the totalitarian state

the state cannot abide your free choice

-Imp
Intolerance is sometimes just. Indoctrination takes away freedom to choose.
The most extreme form of justified intolerance in secular education is demonstrated during performing the acquired skill of spirit killing in the young. Even Lucifer himself has been reported to have become envious when he learned of how highly developed this skill of psychological surgery had become.

FlashDangerpants
Posts: 1645
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Comment on 'The Ethics of Education in the Secular State'.

Post by FlashDangerpants » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:02 am

Belinda wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:57 pm
The secular state should not tolerate religion in schools . Religiosity is always indoctrinated behaviour.
That sort of applies to civics lessons and organised sports too, right?

Belinda
Posts: 2810
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Re: Comment on 'The Ethics of Education in the Secular State'.

Post by Belinda » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:41 am

FlashDangerpants wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:02 am
Belinda wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:57 pm
The secular state should not tolerate religion in schools . Religiosity is always indoctrinated behaviour.
That sort of applies to civics lessons and organised sports too, right?
Good point,Flash. I don't know much about what is taught in civics lessons and I imagine that teachers would try to , and be required to, keep their own points of view to themselves.

Organised sports I've thought of as skills that people are trained to do. I've no objection to training for skills unless the skills are immoral such as shooting animals for fun , or how to make bombs and so on.

Religious rituals can be taught by training and they seem to me to be harmless enough for the most part. Religious doctrines are something else and my objection to them is that they teach myths as if were history, and also that they teach that the religious rules are invariably good. Indoctrination happens when the child(or adult) is kept in ignorance of alternative points of view and must believe the point of view as taught.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest